Howard Washington | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

Washington is not a Syracuse level guard IMO. If you want depth for next year get a 5th year PG, concentrate on finding another 2/3 and go for PG's in the 2018 class. Doesn't make much since to sign someone just to sign someone. We did that with Buss Patterson and look what happened.
Was going to ask the same thing. For him to have no offers having reclassified gives me great pause. We don't just need a body, we need a quality body. While we do have scholarships to burn, I guess if he has the right mindset, maybe, but don't think he is the solution per say. Probably still will need at least one 5th year transfer, and we should really be aggressive looking for a top 2018 guard now. Whoever that is will probably have to come in and start day 1, as our only pg. Frank could very well be gone after his junior year.

I don't think he'd be that much of a reach, especially considering the (probable) roster situation for next year. I say we offer him and trust that GMAC will coach him up considerably

Washington is not a Syracuse level guard IMO. If you want depth for next year get a 5th year PG, concentrate on finding another 2/3 and go for PG's in the 2018 class. Doesn't make much since to sign someone just to sign someone. We did that with Buss Patterson and look what happened.

He fills a need since we lack in depth at that position. Just a reminder, Lazarus Sims and Brandon Triche were not highly recruited players, and they took us to the Final Four. Sometimes players develop late. Heart is also an immeasurable asset.

He fills a need since we lack in depth at that position. Just a reminder, Lazarus Sims and Brandon Triche were not highly recruited players, and they took us to the Final Four. Sometimes players develop late. Heart is also an immeasurable asset.
yep and it sounds like he would love to have a chance to play at SU, and would work his a## off in return

Heart may not be measurable; but it certainly isn't attributable to Washington simply because QG chose Kentucky.

Brandon Triche was an underrated player(and physical specimen) due to injury and lack of time spend on the AAU circuit. He had offers from Uconn and Georgetown. Sims didn't help us until year 4. It took him a while to build up that skill. We need someone next year. Washington won't help us next year and is already 19. Just look at his offers. It's all A-10 schools and BC. If we want someone for depth get a 5th year guy and then go sign a couple of high upside wings. This is just a wasted move IMO. There's much smarter basketball people than me saying the same tune.

Heart may not be measurable; but it certainly isn't attributable to Washington simply because QG chose Kentucky.

Didn't say it implied that. But a guy that's local that wants to play here, might just play that much harder, and be more coachable.

Brandon Triche was an underrated player(and physical specidmen) due to injury and lack of time spend on the AAU circuit. He had offers from Uconn and Georgetown. Sims didn't help us until year 4. It took him a while to build up that skill. We need someone next year. Washington won't help us next year and is already 19. Just look at his offers. It's all A-10 schools and BC. If we want someone for depth get a 5th year guy and then go sign a couple of high upside wings. This is just a wasted move IMO. There's much smarter basketball people than me saying the same tune.
we'll need PG depth starting next year, though, and have enough schollies to fill that plus high-upside wings - and then go hard after a couple of the top PGs in '18

I have no issue with trying to bring this kid in at this point. We need guard depth no matter what next year. We have plenty of ships available. He's not likely to scare anyone else away. Not saying this is the best option as I honestly don't know a whole lot about this kid. I am glad he spurned Butler he gets points from me for that.

you couldn't be more wrong on Washington especially because I'm guessing you haven't even seen him play. The kid has game...scoring guard

Isaiah Washington he is not. I've seen Howard Washington play. He can shoot and make the simple play. He's not very athletic or strong and has a hard time getting to the basket without a screen. I'm not going to talk up a guy just cause he has interest in us. I don't want to sound so negative, but frankly I am beyond frustrated he is our best option at this point.

Isaiah Washington he is not. I've seen Howard Washington play. He can shoot and make the simple play. He's not very athletic or strong and has a hard time getting to the basket without a screen. I'm not going to talk up a guy just cause he has interest in us. I don't want to sound so negative, but frankly I am beyond frustrated he is our best option at this point.
I keep getting the washingtons backwards...deleted my comment
I havent seen howard play so I haven't commented on him...Isaiah though...the real deal

I keep getting the washingtons backwards...deleted my comment
I havent seen howard play so I haven't commented on him...Isaiah though...the real deal

I thought you may have been confused. Yeah, if it was Isaiah I say we take him.

You guys need to leave the recruiting to the coaching staff. If they offer him I like him. If, with 700 scholarships to burn, the staff isn't really interested in offering him, we probably don't want any part of him. I don't care how depleted we are next year, do you really want a guy who can't play at an ACC level?

curious as to what kind of competition he's putting up those #s against

If I remember right, he's at the same school that Thon Maker played for. With Thon at least, they did a lot of traveling to play against as many of the best high schools they could find. I remember Thon faced off against Josh Jackson (Kansas freshman)'s high school last year.

Edit: Could be that they haven't gotten into their stronger competition yet this season though; I have no idea.

Some of you amaze me. I would love to have this kid be apart of SU.

JazzNC said:

Agreed. We missed on Boo Harvey and signed Sherman. Weird stuff happens.

I think we're gonna take a look here, not sure how serious though.

Again if the staff offers, then so be it.

Our "best" option is already on the roster--Franklin Howard. This guy would just be guard depth, which we desperately need.

I don't disagree with you in general about his upside, but I'm surprised by the schools that ARE recruiting him from the P5. Did he improve / show more at Monteverde? I have a difficult time believing that someone who plays there isn't P5 caliber.

Our "best" option is already on the roster--Franklin Howard. This guy would just be guard depth, which we desperately need.

I don't disagree with you in general about his upside, but I'm surprised by the schools that ARE recruiting him from the P5. Did he improve / show more at Monteverde? I have a difficult time believing that someone who plays there isn't P5 caliber.

Yeah Frank is great. Wings are more important at this stage.

Was going to ask the same thing. For him to have no offers having reclassified gives me great pause. We don't just need a body, we need a quality body. While we do have scholarships to burn, I guess if he has the right mindset, maybe, but don't think he is the solution per say. Probably still will need at least one 5th year transfer, and we should really be aggressive looking for a top 2018 guard now. Whoever that is will probably have to come in and start day 1, as our only pg. Frank could very well be gone after his junior year.
F.Howard is not going pro after his junior year. Period. And I am his #1 supporter here. I love him. He's terrific and getting better by the week. But he's hit less than ten outside shots as a collegian. He will be a four-year player, and an All-ACC caliber guard. But he's not going to be part of the 2018 Draft.

I'm not a big fan of this. Any argument that starts out with we have plenty of scholarships is not good. I don't think he is athletic enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom