Howard's Fifth Foul | Syracusefan.com

Howard's Fifth Foul

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
I lost it for a hot minute when that happened. Should have really cost us the game. Close call but the correct one.

I just find it unfathomable that a junior player can even get close to committing that foul, given he is one of two indispensable pieces with literally no backup.

Thank goodness Bayer played defense like that.

I lost it for a hot minute when that happened. Should have really cost us the game. Close call but the correct one.

I just find it unfathomable that a junior player can even get close to committing that foul, given he is one of two indispensable pieces with literally no backup.

Yeah at first I thought they blew the call, but then you see, he definitely got his hand on him. Hard to believe he went from 1 foul to 5 in about 5 minutes

A big debate on JB screaming at him the other night, was it for I told you to miss the foul shot or to stay away and not fouling ?

The timing was even worse.

Frank gets 4 fouls in the second half and they went like this...

9:35 remaining - foul 2
9:30 remaining - foul 3
6:39 remaining - foul 4
6:39 remaining - foul 5

Yikes

I don't remember any player getting 4 fouls in a shorter period of time than he did yesterday, then most coaches would have a sub to put in after he got his 2nd or 3rd in that time period.

The timing was even worse.

Frank gets 4 fouls in the second half and they went like this...

9:35 remaining - foul 2
9:30 remaining - foul 3
6:39 remaining - foul 4
6:39 remaining - foul 5

Yikes

I don’t recall them all right now, but I felt yesterday that all 4 of them were questionable calls. The 4th one looked like a good steal to me. And the one going for a rebound, not sure if that was his second or third, I thought was really bad as well.

I don’t recall them all right now, but I felt yesterday that all 4 of them were questionable calls. The 4th one looked like a good steal to me. And the one going for a rebound, not sure if that was his second or third, I thought was really bad as well.

The 4th one absolutely looked like a great steal, but his 5th was an awful decision that he just can’t make.

On the replay, it was an easy call for the officials to make. Put your arm on the offensive player as he’s elevated to catch the ball. Ballgame.

He better give Bayer a thank you gift because he saved Frank from being the goat yesterday.

The one thing that has driven me nuts over the years is teams are allowed to bump and hand check our guards consistently while we seem to always get called for the ticky tackiest of fouls. We shot a bunch of free throws yesterday, but I thought we could have had more. Howard and Oshae both had finishes in traffic where they were hammered yet nothing was called.

A big debate on JB screaming at him the other night, was it for I told you to miss the foul shot or to stay away and not fouling ?

Apparently the majority of people thought they read JB's lips and he was speaking about the FT and wanting him to miss.

But I do remember thinking to myself "Why is he even getting that close?" when they inbounded the ball.

It really is curious what goes through some of these kids' minds. Not just Frank. But he seems to have a lot of these types of plays.

The 4th one absolutely looked like a great steal, but his 5th was an awful decision that he just can’t make.

On the replay, it was an easy call for the officials to make. Put your arm on the offensive player as he’s elevated to catch the ball. Ballgame.

He better give Bayer a thank you gift because he saved Frank from being the goat yesterday.

I agree with that. I thought both fouls were awful calls, to be honest, but when you've got 4, you can't risk picking one up on an inbounds pass 45 feet from the basket.

Another of those -- not the 'bad' rebound call but the other one on a rebound -- was frustrating because the MSU player got to discard Sidibe in going for the rebound with no call. Then Frank pretty much put the guy in a headlock. So of course he got the whistle. But if they'd called it straight he wouldn't have been in that position. Same with #s 4 and 5, obviously.

had a flashback to Andre Hawkins trying to draw a charge on Michael Adams of BC, darn near close to halfcourt, up 1 with 1 second to go. Lost when the block was called and Adams hit the 2 FTs for the win.

Couldn’t disagree more on that being a foul. That was a call. Agree he shouldn’t have been so close though.

had a flashback to Andre Hawkins trying to draw a charge on Michael Adams of BC, darn near close to halfcourt, up 1 with 1 second to go. Lost when the block was called and Adams hit the 2 FTs for the win.

Ugh. That was awful. I think that was the last SU game Froggy Paparo ever did.

Bright side is he (and perhaps his teammates) shouldn't make that same mistake again.

Speaking of fouls, have to give the Centers props for playing the 2nd half without fouling out. Granted that was more Sidibe but it looked ugly early. Same with Dolezaj.

Do you know the definition of a foul?
Yes do you? Where in the rule book did he violate? He didn’t push the guy. He didn’t undercut the guy. He didn’t impede the guy.

I agree with that. I thought both fouls were awful calls, to be honest, but when you've got 4, you can't risk picking one up on an inbounds pass 45 feet from the basket.

Agreed. Both the 4th and 5th foul calls were suspect. The 4th one was just in traffic and I think the ref assumed there was a foul. The 5th, I don't believe that hand did much if anything, the MSU player sold it a bit but was already falling away due to how high the ball came out.

Let's be real, if a foul was called every time a player put a hand slightly on another player, all players on both teams would have fouled of the game by half-time. Although, complete foolishness on Howard's part to even get that close in an isolated situation just after getting his 4th foul. Have to give the refs some time to see you play hands off for a bit and then they might swallow the whistle on some close calls.

Yes do you? Where in the rule book did he violate? He didn’t push the guy. He didn’t undercut the guy. He didn’t impede the guy.

I know what a foul is, and I write a rules exam every year. Yes there was contact, and it created a disadvantage. Didn't you see how the MSU player landed on the floor? It was a good call, and a really stupid foul.
noidea.gif

I know what a foul is, and I write a rules exam every year. Yes there was contact, and it created a disadvantage. Didn't you see how the MSU player landed on the floor? It was a good call, and a really stupid foul. View attachment 124979

If you think he landed that way as a result of minimal insidental contact I don’t know what to say. That is like saying OJ was innocent.