How's the transfer portal ledger looking for SU? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How's the transfer portal ledger looking for SU?

We need a Lydon type of player on this roster at forward. Someone that can stretch the floor and rebound..I don’t see it with our current roster at forward. I’m shocked if we don’t add a forward but it seems like we are content at that position

Agree. Rebounding and three point shooting is what we are lacking. What we lost in a prototypical 7 foot 5 that can cover the corner 3 in the zone I don't think we really need.

Going to man and guys going from Fr to So should result in better rebounding. Three point shooting IDK... Westry and JJ can't shoot it worse I guess than they did at Auburn and ND. Judah, Bell, Taylor, Benny we'll see honestly probably isn't good enough for the way the game is played right now. But these are young guys they can improve everyone has the green light if they take good shots when they are open I think those 6 guys can collectively shoot around 35%. Will they? IDK.

We've been really easy to play against the last few years everyone seems to be hot and shoot we'll against us I don't need a minus athlete/defender that just shoots long range shots better than the young guys we have and isn't that good at anything else. You don't have to shoot 3s at that high of a percentage if you take a bunch of them and actually get offensive rebounds and second chance shots enough will drop each game just can't have the other team hitting 15 when we struggle to get 5.

Agree especially going away from the zone.

North Texas kid looks good him with Hima and Brown should be enough size. Williams is getting his minutes at the 4.

Carey and Patterson might enter the mix.

Teams still pretty young though we could have used a veteran older guy at center.
Until we fill the center spot, it’s an incomplete with a lean towards a net negative (assuming Judah leaves).

I love the potential guard play. I think Benny will have a really nice year. I think Maliq will be very steady and also improved. But If those are 2 are going to be our 2 best bigs, we’re in trouble. I think we’ll be good guarding the perimeter but we won’t have much rim protection or rebounding. I think Hima is an ok back up at 10mpg.

I know Jesse ended up being somewhat decisive here as far as how good he actually was. But he will be a huge loss unless we land a big.
If we get Cisse, it’s an A++ if Judah comes back.

I do think Red is going the Miami style. A bunch of guards who penetrate, and all 5 defenders are mobile, can switch, and aggressively rebound.
Really believe Jesse leaving is a good thing, he doesn't fit a fast paced game, and defending man to man.
With no outside shot, you don't need him clogging the middle. He was a good zone defender, but had trouble with physical play.

So looking at the transfer ledger, here's how I view the roster changes.

Symir < Westry -- pretty easy one here.

Girard < JJ -- I know that this will be controversial opinion to some, and at the very least the numbers don't bear that out, but one is gifted offensively / limited defensively, and the other is a former McD's All American 5-star recruit. For what our coaching staff wants to do, I think we net gained.

JBA < open scholarship -- with all due respect to Jon Bol being great teammate / having a great attitude, having the open roster spot is a bigger "asset."

All positive roster developments thus far, IMO. Then we have...

Jesse > open scholarship -- outcome TBD, depending on how we fill this hole.

Yes with all of the above. However, game day coaching trade off is a negative. As much as we all like Autry, he is as unknown. a Hall of Famer who had been through every possible situation is a better coach than someone who has coached zero games. If we get a center at Jesse’s level then we should be better than last year.

Cuse

We need a Lydon type of player on this roster at forward. Someone that can stretch the floor and rebound..I don’t see it with our current roster at forward. I’m shocked if we don’t add a forward but it seems like we are content at that position
How many players do you want us to carry?

Benny is not going to operate in the paint. We know that. We need a defensive presence
Yeah I dont think he wants to operate in the paint, he wants to float around the perimeter.

Now Maliq is a different story.

CBF3DFE5-FC85-4625-BA27-7DCF4602DF77.jpeg

I'm more in the TBD category with Joe vs JJ. I think that JJ's overall potential is higher, but "potential" is simply another word for "it hasn't happened yet." It may and it may not.

It's fair. But I'll take his upside and athleticism over average Joe. We already knew what we had there. A guard who will have some big games, some real stinkers, and be a leader of another .500 team.

I'd rather hope for more than settle for the same.

It all comes down to the center. We are either getting a 100 or a 70 on this test. There is no in-between.
Judah/JJ/Chance/Benny/Dickinson or Cisse is a Top 25 team. Chance/JJ/Bell/Benny/Ousmane would be a much different team. Hopefully Red pulls it off.

Judah/JJ/Chance/Benny/Dickinson or Cisse is a Top 25 team. Chance/JJ/Bell/Benny/Ousmane would be a much different team. Hopefully Red pulls it off.

Even an undersized guy like Lubin is a good team. We don't need a true 7 footer. We need a strong multi skilled big whether he is 6-8 or 7-1. I think there is too much hand wringing over being mentioned with the North Texas kid. No certainty at all we go that route and others are trickling into the portal every day.

It's fair. But I'll take his upside and athleticism over average Joe. We already knew what we had there. A guard who will have some big games, some real stinkers, and be a leader of another .500 team.

Thing about Joe- and i greatly appreciate everything he put into his time here is that in a mtm defense you have to protect him some. His height gives you issues on switches if you play mtm or as we saw being able to shoot over him on zone. His foot speed is an issue guarding faster guards. His offense is great as he has developed into a much more efficient scorer. That said he is a 20-25 min a game guy on a good team at best. If say LSU could surround him with elite athletes and defenders that would help him out.

I'd love to see him go west and play in a less physical league where his athleticism limits are not so exposed.

As for him vs JJ- I expect we will see it net out in favor of JJ by a reasonable margin and that's about JJ more than Joe. JJ can shoot it and has good form and he is very quick getting to the rim north/south. When folks see him in an offense that pushes the pace, ( ND was 304th in adj Tempo) they will be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

Totally agree. I reallllly didn't want to just run it back next season. Sure some of the younger guys might improve, but to me all that would do was nudge the ceiling up marginally.

Let Red play an 8-9 man rotation with guys that truly fit the style he wants, and see how it goes. I have no illusions that it might be a disaster. First time head coach, new system, new players. But we've been scuffling around as a .500-ish team, fringe tourney team, for many years now. Let's take a shot at something different.

Yes with all of the above. However, game day coaching trade off is a negative. As much as we all like Autry, he is as unknown. a Hall of Famer who had been through every possible situation is a better coach than someone who has coached zero games. If we get a center at Jesse’s level then we should be better than last year.

Cuse
Surely you jest. Nuff said.