How's the transfer portal ledger looking for SU? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

How's the transfer portal ledger looking for SU?

We need a Lydon type of player on this roster at forward. Someone that can stretch the floor and rebound..I don’t see it with our current roster at forward. I’m shocked if we don’t add a forward but it seems like we are content at that position
I think Carey might surprise at this especially if he gains bulk

It's fair. But I'll take his upside and athleticism over average Joe. We already knew what we had there. A guard who will have some big games, some real stinkers, and be a leader of another .500 team.

I'd rather hope for more than settle for the same.
Yep, we weren't good enough to care about downside risk. People hate. 500 as much as .300 so embrace the greater uncertainty. If jg was the pg of a bubble team, maybe the risk matters

Last edited:
I think Carey might surprise at this especially if he gains bulk
This has been a calling card for SU offseasons for as long as I can remember, but have any of the bean poles we've had over the years ever truly added bulk? Some have gotten stronger but rarely has anybody gone from 180 to 220 that I can recall. It's always something everyone is banking on for project players or kids who get tossed around, but does it truly ever happen here?

This has been a calling card for SU offseasons for as long as I can remember, but have any of the bean poles we've had over the years ever truly added bulk? Some have gotten stronger but rarely has anybody gone from 180 to 220 that I can recall. It's always something everyone is banking on for project players or kids who get tossed around, but does it truly ever happen here?

Anything from Carey would be an unexpected bonus. I see the 12th man on a 13 man roster (once roster is complete) who hasn't been able to play much at all over two years. Hard to see a rapid development. I suspect we would find out more by 24-25. He certainly could surprise but I suspect if he stays it would be more of a Matty Gorman like trajectory in terms of contribution.

Transfer center from Pitt
I wondered if the staff would reach out to Hugely. He's friends with Benny from that USA trip last summer. Obviously had issues last year resulting in him electing not to play.

I don't think JAB was all that concerned with his guys working out. I remember that Auburn game a few seasons ago that looked like a bunch of HS kids playing the Monstars.

ETA: Cabiles here talking about bodyweight conditioning. Sure it can be effective, but it doesn't build muscle as fast as squats, deads, bench, and chins.

Jesse actually put some beef on and went from beanpole to lightweight... Still got bashed around by the conference big'uns tho...

I see pics of these guys in the weight room but they really need custom weight lifting and dietary regimens... Player like Brown could really make a huge leap by adding another 30 lbs. of rip, for example.

I hope Red gets these guys on custom regimens with trainers and dieticians or augments whatever they are doing in some capacity.

Yep, we weren't good enough to care about downside risk. People hate. 500 as much as .300 so embrace the greater uncertainty. If jg was the ph of a bubble team, maybe the risk matters

Yeah, I was waiting for someone to say "careful what you wish for".

Like it matters. No tourney is no tourney. It's all turd colored whether we go 17-16 or win 10 ****ing games.

Patterson effectively took JBA’s spot. Probably equal swap if we’re being honest.
For the season that starts this fall, you're probably right...

JBA was probably as good this season as he is going to be in his career. A really good guy who wasn't good enough at basketball to be in an ACC rotation.

Patterson, on the other hand, is the completely unpolished stone. Could be good, could be bad, but either way he's filled with promise.

The word bulk is thrown around like it's easy to add that weight. His body type may very well not be cut out for it. He looks to be an ectomorph much like the centers over the past decade.

I think we are a little bit obsessed with getting a true center. If we are playing man and not zone we don’t automatically need a 7 foot rim protector. There’s many teams at the college and professional level who are successful without playing a true center.
Yeah, but we still need somebody strong enough to not get Punk'd by Antetokounmpo every time down the court.

So looking at the transfer ledger, here's how I view the roster changes.

Symir < Westry -- pretty easy one here.

Girard < JJ -- I know that this will be controversial opinion to some, and at the very least the numbers don't bear that out, but one is gifted offensively / limited defensively, and the other is a former McD's All American 5-star recruit. For what our coaching staff wants to do, I think we net gained.

JBA < open scholarship -- with all due respect to Jon Bol being great teammate / having a great attitude, having the open roster spot is a bigger "asset."

All positive roster developments thus far, IMO. Then we have...

Jesse > open scholarship -- outcome TBD, depending on how we fill this hole.
I'd put Symir in the same category with JBA. He just wasn't good enough to be a contributor. In my opinion the team is already better.
I understand the "landscape" has changed but I'm old and stubborn. I don't consider Joe and Jesse losses. They each put in their 4 years and truthfully both produced more than we should have expected from them. They are both excellent at a couple things and inadequate in several others. They were our senior leaders and played well to their ability, but the team wasn't good enough. SU lost a lot of games with those 2 in the lineup. JJ and Chance are the type of players SU needs to compete at the highest levels. Will either reach it we'll see. I'd much rather have JJ, Chance and Judah than Joe, Jesse and Judah. But as most discussions of this subject, it mostly depends on Judah.