How's the transfer portal ledger looking for SU? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

How's the transfer portal ledger looking for SU?

I've been paranoid about Judah entering. If he decides to go back to college, seems like the smart move. Should I not be paranoid?

Even with adding a center, I still feel we’re weak / thin at forward especially from a rebounding standpoint.
If we are able to play M2M defense this will give our forwards a much better chance to improve our rebounding.

Good glad we dodged this. We need to aim higher if we want to be serious.
And you figure more guys are going to hit the portal by May 11. Gotta have patience.

I agree, but if we get someone who’s 6’8“ or 6’9” that’s a good defender and elite rebounder that’s all you really need.

Don't rule out Maliq Brown at center if we don't get someone we like from the portal

Picture him surrounded by four Top 50 players in Mintz, Starling, Westry and Williams.

Last edited:
But will he be better than what we've got?

Maybe not. If our NIL is broke or portal bigs think it's a lost cause likely not. That said we've gotten two really good guards so far that I'm sure aren't here for free. Reds not dissapointed with portal additions so far having faith we land a good one.

Maliq really isn’t a rim protector though. You still need one, even if you’re not playing zone. I’m also hopeful that Hima can make something of a jump. He was a very good rim protector early and middle part of the year, but he fell off a bit and regressed. Part of that was Jesse played the bulk of minutes and Hima couldn’t get a lot of game time.

Yes, but going small Maliq can fill inm I am not saying play him 32 minutes but if we gave him 10 or so a game and had Hima play some we should be ok on the d end.

Maliq Brown could play the 5 in special circumstances but definitely needs to tip the scales at closer to 230lbs to do that.

What can you guys tell me about Girard other than the fact that he doesn't care about playing in the tournament since he is considering us?
Very effective if surrounded by athletes who can get him looks from the perimeter. Gets shut down when guarded by an athletic guard. He’s there for his offense not his defense. Good teammate with no problems. Would be beloved if he could have been the sixth man on a good team who came in to snipe 3s, but Cuse has been baking buns for years so he was forced to be a four year starter, three of which were out of position at pg which exposed his weaknesses and drove the fans mad. He would be a great pickup for a HM that will play him to his strengths.

He’s a good kid who has been tormented by our fans, and I wish nothing but the best for him, although I do hope he leaves the conference so we don’t have to play our own guys.

However, I’m willing to trade him for PJ Hall.

Very effective if surrounded by athletes who can get him looks from the perimeter. Gets shut down when guarded by an athletic guard. He’s there for his offense not his defense. Good teammate with no problems. Would be beloved if he could have been the sixth man on a good team who came in to snipe 3s, but Cuse has been baking buns for years so he was forced to be a four year starter, three of which were out of position at pg which exposed his weaknesses and drove the fans mad. He would be a great pickup for a HM that will play him to his strengths.

He’s a good kid who has been tormented by our fans, and I wish nothing but the best for him, although I do hope he leaves the conference so we don’t have to play our own guys.

However, I’m willing to trade him for PJ Hall.

Yes unfortunately some people had unreasonable expectations and some people didn’t know when to stop with their comments. But I think most people are thankful for his time here.

What can you guys tell me about Girard other than the fact that he doesn't care about playing in the tournament since he is considering us?
He can make shots and does a good job of looking for chances to get the bigs easy hoops, but he's really limited defensively and small, even for a guard. He can help, but is one of those guys that seems to want a bigger role and spotlight than it's good for a team to have.

Positives on Joe:
He’s a very good open look shooter and he’s got a crafty little backdown game against small guards. He’s physical, gets some rebounds and tough. Doesn’t shy away from contact or from big shots (maybe to a fault). He’ll give you his all ie a gamer. He’s pretty good mentally and in general a good team player. And you want to give him the ball near the end of the game as he’s an elite free throw shooter.

Negatives:
He doesn’t finish too well when driving hard to the basket and he can’t really create his own shot except perhaps against smaller guards. He’ll make some “bad” turnovers. His shot selection can be suspect. Ball handling is not up to point guard levels. He’s a below average defender (being polite here).

If you have a correctly defined lane for Joe, he can really do well and help the team. He's an undersized 2G for a HM, but he's not going to shy away from the spotlight and he'll mix it up. He can hit shots at range as long as you aren't burdening him with too much responsibility. He can rebound for his size. He can hit pocket passes on the pick n roll, especially if you are doing it from an action point left or right of the top of the key (versus starting the exact top of the key).

He can, in spots, bully an undersized guard a bit and draw fouls. He'll make his foul shots. He can close a game if you need someone to make FTs which is a big deal.

He can shoot off the dribble, which is a huge deal, with the major caveat that he won't be able to space as well as some other people can, naturally.

He should probably be a sixth/seventh man on a great team or a guy that plays 25mpg on a competitive team.

His defense won't be good. Not saying he doesn't try, but there are just physical limitations. To be fair to him, that's a lot of guys that might not have a natural build/level of elite athleticism for ACC play, so you need the system to account for that so you aren't giving up as much as you are getting. If you run a M2M defense that switches a lot, he'll get hunted against teams that are coached by good coaches.

He does not finish at the rim well.

Dude played out of position for three years while the coach's kid was starting at his natural position and he didn't gripe about it in public. That says something.

Worth a look.

He's a true competitor and a tough kid with balls of steel. He played QB in high school and won a state championship...I personally think you should keep him off the court and start him at QB on 9/30 ;)

Hope he does great there. The poor guy was snakebit with injuries while here.
That’s from August—I didn’t even realize he was healthy enough to pursue a pro career, and I’m not seeing that he played anywhere in 2022-23, just this:

Maybe he has been rehabbing this season? Hoping for health and successes for him.