How's this : @hardnosed | Syracusefan.com

How's this : @hardnosed

PhatOrange

Living Legend
@hardnosed.jpg

Ugh I hate the football/war comparison. When RGIII tweeted the other day about being "in the line of fire" i was disgusted.

Get over it. Coaches have been using war and military terminology since the beginning of sports and especially in football. It's a gladiator sport.

I frankly hate the PC police who jump up and down now that football players can't say things like "i'm going to war". My bro who's a lurker was in Afghanistan. My good friend who was a Platoon leader had one of his guys die in his arms in Tikrit. My other brother's best friend was in the in Fallujah. Another one of my good friends just got back from a tour in Afghanistan. Hell, my grandfathers, god rest their souls, one was at Normandy and the other torpedoed and sunk in the South Pacific. They don't get bent out shape about sports and war comparisons so why should you?

As we know, football teams train with the military and model themselves after the military; for reasons such as teamwork and leadership. There are many similarities between the two and obviously when you lose in the military you die - everybody gets that.

Get over it. Coaches have been using war and military terminology since the beginning of sports and especially in football. It's a gladiator sport.

I frankly hate the PC police who jump up and down now that football players can't say things like "i'm going to war". My bro who's a lurker was in Afghanistan. My good friend who was a Platoon leader had one of his guys die in his arms in Tikrit. My other brother's best friend was in the **** in Fallujah. Another one of my good friends just got back from a tour in Afghanistan. Hell, my grandfathers, god rest their souls, one was at Normandy and the other torpedoed and sunk in the South Pacific. They don't get bent out shape about sports and war comparisons so why should you?

As we know, football teams train with the military and model themselves after the military; for reasons such as teamwork and leadership. There are many similarities between the two and obviously when you lose in the military you die - everybody gets that.
Great, I have relatives and friends that were in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. My grandfather was awarded a purple heart in WWII. I don't agree with the comparison, War isn't a game. I don't believe in political correctness either but every time i see something like this, or a call of duty commercial where Jonah Hill is firing a rocket launcher, I get pissed off. I'm sure quite a few troops don't enjoy the comparison, and just because your friends and family don't doesn't mean it's ok.

Great, I have relatives and friends that were in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. My grandfather was awarded a purple heart in WWII. I don't agree with the comparison, War isn't a game. I don't believe in political correctness either but every time i see something like this, or a call of duty commercial where Jonah Hill is firing a rocket launcher, I get pissed off. I'm sure quite a few troops don't enjoy the comparison, and just because your friends and family don't doesn't mean it's ok.

Great to each his own then. Thanks for being the voice of veterans who 'might' care.

Ugh I hate the football/war comparison. When RGIII tweeted the other day about being "in the line of fire" i was disgusted.

then you must not like George Carlin much.

then you must not like George Carlin much.
Funny, my grandfather was actually Carlin's commanding officer when George was in the Air Force. But he's just making fun of baseball in that set.

This reminds me-I wonder if the team goes back to Fort Drum this year

I hope so...see no reason why not.

As for the discussion above...I think using a military reference is situational. They generally don't bother me.

beats me I don't twitter. Is a handle #hardnosed but if you're sending a message to that person it's @hardnosed ?

@hardnosed would be someone's handle on twitter. #hardnosed would be used to identify something/someone/some action as hard nosed.

Love it. Agree that it should be changed to #hardnosed tho.

The war/sports comparison never bothered me. Always considered my own football/lacrosse games as "going into battle" Gets people hyped up.
Everyone is allowed their own opinion tho, part of the whole "America" thing that we keep fighting for.

Love it. Agree that it should be changed to #hardnosed tho.

The war/sports comparison never bothered me. Always considered my own football/lacrosse games as "going into battle" Gets people hyped up.
Everyone is allowed their own opinion tho, part of the whole "America" thing that we keep fighting for.
yeah cracks me up, the PC police on patrol for everything these days....next thing you know Brent Musberger will get in trouble because he said someone is pretty and the qb's get all the pretty girls....ummm, wait...

yeah cracks me up, the PC police on patrol for everything these days....next thing you know Brent Musberger will get in trouble because he said someone is pretty and the qb's get all the pretty girls....ummm, wait...
Where in my original reply did I say I was offended? He asked what people thought about his little picture he made and I said I hate the war/football comparison.

Where in my original reply did I say I was offended? He asked what people thought about his little picture he made and I said I hate the war/football comparison.

and neither was I comparing football with war. Hardnosed with war yes, football with war no.

picture this image....

you're playing beer pong with Dan/Blacknight against some Rutgers folk, you're bent over to toss the perfect shot, as you nail the perfect shot to vanquish your inferior opponent Dan then pours some water on your back, it falls off harmlessly....

apply to most situations that presents themselves on this board (and for most of life for that matter)...some unsolicited advice from an old leathered Orange fanatic to the fresh faced new generation of Orange fanatic...

picture this image....

you're playing beer pong with Dan/Blacknight, you're bent over to toss the perfect shot, as you nail the perfect shot Dan then pours some water on your back, it falls off harmlessly....

apply to most situations that presents themselves on this board (and for most of life for that matter)...some unsolicited advice from an old leathered Orange fanatic to the fresh faced new generation of Orange fanatic...
I assume you're implying I'm upset in some form. I'm not. Can't be bothered, just voicing an opinion.

Although your scenario was spot on.

I assume you're implying I'm upset in some form. I'm not. Can't be bothered, just voicing an opinion.

Although your scenario was spot on.
in my head when someone says they're "disgusted" by a war analogy usage it's equivalent to an emotional/"upset" reaction that leads to, say, taking the time to post such thoughts on a message board. My bad.

I think I'll take my own advice to you now...back to the factory, the boss gets pissed with too much time spent here...

in my head when someone says they're "disgusted" by a war analogy usage it's equivalent to an emotional/"upset" reaction that leads to, say, taking the time to post such thoughts on a message board. My bad.

I think I'll take my own advice to you now...back to the factory, the boss gets pissed with too much time spent here...
No it's that Call of Duty commercial they did with all the actors/athletes/stars in an actual warzone that disgusted me. I just "don't like" the comparison.

Did you hear how Brent closed off the broadcast of the Kansas game last night? "For Fran Fraschilla, and Holly Rowe, who was really smokin' tonight, I want to say so long from Lawrence". At this point, I think he's just daring them. Love it.

Although, to look at Holly Rowe, most wouldn't use that word. Maybe she was just smoking a lot of cigarettes during the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom