Huge NBA trade rumored | Syracusefan.com

Huge NBA trade rumored

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
Celtics send the #1 pick to the 76ers for their #1 this year (3rd overall) and number 1's in 18 and 19. It had been rumored the Celts were going to pass on Fultz and Ball and take Jackson. Now they get Jackson with #3 and pick up 2 future #1's which they could use to get a George. Sixers get the guard they need in Fultz and the two #1's they're giving up are picks they received from other teams previously so they'll still have their own #1's. Seems like a win win.

Celtics send the #1 pick to the 76ers for their #1 this year (3rd overall) and number 1's in 18 and 19. It had been rumored the Celts were going to pass on Fultz and Ball and take Jackson. Now they get Jackson with #3 and pick up 2 future #1's which they could use to get a George. Sixers get the guard they need in Fultz and the two #1's they're giving up are picks they received from other teams previously so they'll still have their own #1's. Seems like a win win.
Ainge is kind of crazy.

Hate this trade.
Celtics needed a second scorer who could create their own offense.

All Ainge picked up was one first round pick either 2nd thru 5th next year or 2019 Sacramento pick.

They didn't get a lot of value. I don't think Josh Jackson makes sense with Jaylen Brown and Jae Crowder on the roster and if they want Gordon Hayward it makes even less sense. Not a fan at all of Jayson Tatum who was a meh player the whole year at Duke.

Ainge owns this now. Fultz was the consensus best player in this draft and he thumbed his nose at consensus. Ainge is conceding the next 2-3 years to LeBron with this move.

Enough picks Danny. They aren't getting Paul George he won't sign an extension. He will get the mega max from Indiana next offseason or go to the Lakers. Jimmy Butler is not worth that pick.
The Celtics don't need picks. They need transformative players.

19736c04-d28c-4399-a539-bd5c1cf7a0f4.jpg

Hate this trade.

All Ainge picked up was one first round pick either 2nd thru 5th next year or 2019 Sacramento pick.

They didn't get a lot of value. I don't think Josh Jackson makes sense with Jaylen Brown and Jae Crowder on the roster and if they want Gordon Hayward it makes even less sense. Not a fan at all of Jayson Tatum who was a meh player the whole year at Duke.

Ainge owns this now. Fultz was the consensus best player in this draft and he thumbed his nose at consensus. Ainge is conceding the next 2-3 years to LeBron with this move.

Enough picks Danny. They aren't getting Paul George he won't sign an extension. He will get the mega max from Indiana next offseason or go to the Lakers. Jimmy Butler is not worth that pick.

I think this analysis is pretty much spot on.

Winners and losers from Celtics-Sixers swap of No. 1 pick

I think this analysis is pretty much spot on.

Winners and losers from Celtics-Sixers swap of No. 1 pick
Ainge should get a lot of heat for this deal.
One extra pick isn't enough and the 76ers have it top 1 protected next year.
He didn't include a chance to swap it with the Nets pick next year if it's and first and the Celtics get the 2019 kings pick.

He got absolutely owned in this deal. Philly gets the guy for nothing.

Hate this trade.

disagree. I think it is an excellent trade in the long game. If they can get johnson, and I would have waited until the Lakers made their pick before making this trade, they get johnson. He will be a great pick (just not next year). a great two way player. Fultz couldn't lead his team to a win against Yale last season. Great players make the others around them better. Fultz is a very good player but the Celts wanted Johnson. Might as well pick up another pick while getting him. And next year they might have 1 and 2 or 1 and 3. Two top picks in the top 5 in almost any case. Flip them for Davis. Or something like that. Ainge looks at his team and says nothing we can do can beat Cleveland. Let alone the warriors. But a few years down the road, we could be that team.

disagree. I think it is an excellent trade in the long game. If they can get johnson, and I would have waited until the Lakers made their pick before making this trade, they get johnson. He will be a great pick (just not next year). a great two way player. Fultz couldn't lead his team to a win against Yale last season. Great players make the others around them better. Fultz is a very good player but the Celts wanted Johnson. Might as well pick up another pick while getting him. And next year they might have 1 and 2 or 1 and 3. Two top picks in the top 5 in almost any case. Flip them for Davis. Or something like that. Ainge looks at his team and says nothing we can do can beat Cleveland. Let alone the warriors. But a few years down the road, we could be that team.
Jackson can't shoot.

The Celtics needed shooting from the wings or a pick and roll scoring guard.

This trade makes the Celtics have to get Griffin or Hayward this offseason or they lose their cap space having to resign Isiah Thomas and/or Avery Bradley after next offseason.

Fultz would have allowed them to move on having to give Thomas 200 million. Jackson plays the same position as last year's first round pick Jaylen Brown.

The pick the Celtics get is 2nd-5th next year or it's the 2019 Kings pick. That isn't enough to go from 1 to 3.

Ainge didn't get enough. CJ McCollum and Damian Lillard were on teams that lost to Ivy League teams as well. Both are solid all-star guards in Portland. I don't care if they lost in college or not it's completely different than the NBA.

Ainge traded a dollar bill for 85 cents and one scratch lottery ticket.

It's not a trade that gives them a chance at Anthony Davis. The Pelicans will never trade Davis for another 3 years minimum.

Take the best player and let him develop. Neither Jackson or Tatum give the Celtics wing shooting they need.

Jackson can't shoot.

The Celtics needed shooting from the wings or a pick and roll scoring guard.

This trade makes the Celtics have to get Griffin or Hayward this offseason or they lose their cap space having to resign Isiah Thomas and/or Avery Bradley after next offseason.

Fultz would have allowed them to move on having to give Thomas 200 million. Jackson plays the same position as last year's first round pick Jaylen Brown.

The pick the Celtics get is 2nd-5th next year or it's the 2019 Kings pick. That isn't enough to go from 1 to 3.

Ainge didn't get enough. CJ McCollum and Damian Lillard were on teams that lost to Ivy League teams as well. Both are solid all-star guards in Portland. I don't care if they lost in college or not it's completely different than the NBA.

Ainge traded a dollar bill for 85 cents and one scratch lottery ticket.

It's not a trade that gives them a chance at Anthony Davis. The Pelicans will never trade Davis for another 3 years minimum.

Take the best player and let him develop. Neither Jackson or Tatum give the Celtics wing shooting they need.
Ainge doesn't think Fultz is the best player. That much is clear.

The Sixers just got fleeced.

Sixers give away two 1st rounders high in the draft because they will continue to stink.

How many games did the Sixers lose to get those two draft choices just to hand them away?

Saying that, it's still better than drafting Ball and his father. That crazy side-show is going to be poison for the team that drafts him.

The Sixers just got fleeced.

Sixers give away two 1st rounders high in the draft because they will continue to stink.

How many games did the Sixers lose to get those two draft choices just to hand them away?

Saying that, it's still better than drafting Ball and his father. That crazy side-show is going to be poison for the team that drafts him.

Fultz, Embiid, and Simmons potentially gives them a great core. Saric is a nice piece too.

If Fultz is a superstar, then it was a good trade. One of the benefits of stockpiling picks is packaging them for a superstar, moreso than just picking a lot of guys.

Ainge doesn't think Fultz is the best player. That much is clear.
This is true but I'll also say that Danny Ainge's draft record is spotty at best. He's great at making trades but he's awful at drafting players.

Danny Ainge has only drafted one player since 2003 that has made an all-Star team and that was Rajon Rondo who he acquired in a trade because the Phoenix Suns had a cheap owner.

Clearly Ainge didn't like Fultz but he is the minority here and the asset he got to move down is heavily protected and if becomes a mid 2019 pick was not enough to move down.

It's a clear scratch ticket gamble.

Last edited:
Fultz, Embiid, and Simmons potentially gives them a great core. Saric is a nice piece too.

If Fultz is a superstar, then it was a good trade. One of the benefits of stockpiling picks is packaging them for a superstar, moreso than just picking a lot of guys.
Fultz is perfect for Philly. He can split ball handling with Ben Simmons and he saves Philly having to spend money on Kyle Lowry in FA this offseason.

They didn't give up much. If the Lakers pick is 2-5 it goes to Boston next year if not the Celtics get the better of the Philly/Sacramento 2019 pick that is top 1 protected.

All to get the consensus non-Ainge thought top prospect in this year's draft.

Philly is a division rival as well and if LeBron leaves after this year Ainge has helped facilitate Philly becoming a threat to his own team in conference.

If butler goes to the cavs im going to pray to old gods and the new that Ainge can figure out how to get Davis.

If butler goes to the cavs im going to pray to old gods and the new that Ainge can figure out how to get Davis.
Don't worry about Butler. If the Celtics get Gordon Hayward they play the same position so they wouldn't fit on the team unless they had a really good rim protector which they don't have.

Philly is going to live and die with Embiid becoming a superstar that can stay healthy, imo. I really like the trade and think for the post-Bron Eastern Conference in a few years, I think they are set up nicely, again, if Embiid can be healthy.

Philly is going to live and die with Embiid becoming a superstar that can stay healthy, imo. I really like the trade and think for the post-Bron Eastern Conference in a few years, I think they are set up nicely, again, if Embiid can be healthy.

I don't know, having a healthy Embiid would be amazing for them but I don't think it's live and die. Ben Simmons is still on ice and if Fultz is the real deal, just those two panning out to their potential would be massive. That doesn't include the slew of other young talented guys they have.

Embiid would be a monumental loss for them if he has a injury riddled future but they still have a lot of potential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom