Huge story breaking in LA | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Huge story breaking in LA

Pat Knight. He seems to know about drug use with his players.

I don't know if they'd want a blue collar guy... but I think Buzz Williams has a real good buzz right now...

His effectiveness at Marquette seems to be more than a flash in the pan (even tho Crean left things in good shape).

Would still like to see a couple seasons out of him w/o DJO and Crowder and see what he does...

They can open the bank for a lot of people. Mike Hopkins ain't one of them for a second.

Mike Hopkins. LA roots. Good guy.

j/k
You know what's crazy? In say, 1982, JB was not the icon he is now. In fact I'd almost say the locals were 40-60 "agin". Remember that was the beginning of the NCAA early exit era (by teams like Penn, Western Ky). UCLA at the time was trying unsucessfully to find the next "Wooden".
The rumor going around then was UCLA was looking at JB as AD, not coach, AD. JB spoke at a dinner that year, and when they opened up the questions to the audience I asked about the UCLA rumors and his answer was a matter-of-factly "I'm very happy right here".

Hop's wife is from just outside 'Cuse and is tight with her family.
There is zero chance they move to California.
St. Bonnies 5-10 years ago maybe, Cali now? Not a chance.
Anyone lucky enough to have the UCLA job land in their lap has to look at it hard. Its not quite what it was in 1973 admitted, but to anyone coaching, thats a dream job.

You know, to me, this just doesnt seem like that beyond the ordinary for a team with top recruits and a coach that doesnt discipline. It's not the crazy program breaker i thought it would be.

Anyone lucky enough to have the UCLA job land in their lap has to look at it hard. Its not quite what it was in 1973 admitted, but to anyone coaching, thats a dream job.

UCLA is having a tough time competing against USC in its major sports. In football, USC has already lapped UCLA and there is little chance for them to ever be considered equals again.

If they are going to rise to prominence again, it will be through basketball. I believe UCLA will throw cubic dollars at the program in order for it to regain its national relevance once again.

UCLA is a "blue blooded" program and would be considered a destination job for most any coach in the country.

Jay Wright has got to be thinking about Nova being stuck in the sinking titanic that will be the BE in a couple of years. I would think the time is right to be able to get him out of Philly if UCLA wanted him.

You know, to me, this just doesnt seem like that beyond the ordinary for a team with top recruits and a coach that doesnt discipline. It's not the crazy program breaker i thought it would be.

I agree. It hurts Howland most. Who knows? Maybe Memphis and UCLA exchange coaches. I think Few and Pastner have to be the front runners for the job. I wouldn't be surprised to see Steve Alford's name as a dark horse candidate.

anyone else fiendishly pleased that ESPN wasn't the one break this story

I guess. It's sad to me that 1) I'm not all that shocked and 2) I bet this goes on at a lot of programs.

Is what it is. Seems like SI hyped the piece in order to get attention, but I bet they could do this about a lot of programs.

In an era in which coaches spend considerable time managing athletes with inflated egos, Howland assembled a mostly selfless group. The players were also mature beyond their years, a vital attribute given that Howland was neither a nurturer nor a player’s coach. Other than during practices and games, he had little contact with his athletes, according to players. He showed up moments before a workout began and was gone before players paired off to shoot free throws at the end. Several team members say that his approach was how they imagined an NBA coach would run a team.
This sounds similar to how Boeheim has been portrayed in recent months.

That's the way I read it too especially after the "wait till you read this" stuff coming out yesterday. Bad, yes. Some kind of killer, no. More embarrassing than anything probably for Howland.

I think if Few wanted to leave he'd have left by now. He's not like a Brad Stephens who made a name for himself 2yrs ago. Gonzaga is a pretty sweet job all things considered.

It just means that ESPN will start digging to find (read: create) the next story of a program that is 'out of control'.

UConn seems like a good place to start...

According to an article in SI, Howland and his AD are as good as gone, for rampant drug use among the players and absolute loss of control of the program. So whats the guess for Howland's replacement? If not an alum (preferable someone who played for Wooden), then I'd say they should pay Izzo whatever he asks!

Right or wrong (I don't know) the word in CA and from UCLA alums is that Howland is not gone. Being given another year to clean this up. If you read the article (and I heard a long interview with the writer this AM), he was clear to point to point out that there are no NCAA violations.

This is basically reeves Nelson being a dick and poor team mgmt.

Not saying he won't be gone, but it doesn't appear that cut and dry. UCLA is not in a position to be buying out contracts and spending all kinds of extra money on sports programs. Yes, even basketball.

44cuse

That's the way I read it too especially after the "wait till you read this" stuff coming out yesterday. Bad, yes. Some kind of killer, no. More embarrassing than anything probably for Howland.

Exactly right and that is what the author said I the radio this AM 100%.

44cuse

Paging Rick Pitino...your lifeboat off the sinking Big East ship is ready.

Not to say this is a non-story, but it doesn't involve anything that is an NCAA violation. A lot of programs have players that are out of control and party. SI ran this because it's UCLA and Ben Howland.

Wow, this is quite a cautionary tale of the perils a college coach faces trying to mold a team out of a group of high profile athletes. It shows that no matter how they accomplish it, coaches need to really understand the dynamics of how their players interact on and off the court. And it obviously shows that a few bad apples can bring the whole show down if they're allowed to run amok.