Huge story breaking in LA | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Huge story breaking in LA

This kind of reminds me of the Red Sox current "beer in the clubhouse" issue. I'd bet it was like that for years, but no one cared because they were winning. I'd even bet that Boston locals would have been proud of it if it came out during the World Series. It wasn't until all the finger pointing within between owners, management, and players after the collapse that it got any attention. I'd bet at UCLA things weren't a whole lot different, other than perhaps a single bad apple player or isolated incident, than when they were going to the final four every year.

Losing brings about great scrutiny. Something that is ok when a team is winning, suddenly becomes a symbol of everything wrong with the organization when things don't work. It could be as simple as their unheralded classes were underrated, and the new recruits were overrated. Sometimes that's all it is.
I think this is spot on.

This story is disturbing on so many levels. It's unbelievable that Reeves was allowed to get away with purposely injuring his own teammates. Howland should be banished from head coaching for 10 years for that alone. Actually, anyone above Howland who knew about it but did nothing should be hung too.

The drinking stuff bothered me much less than this stuff.

the first call will be to Lorenzo Romar . . . and there won't be any need for a second call.

I didn't even think of him; I feel like Wash has been good but not great. Then again, you can recruit different kids to UCLA than Wash. Definitely a good point about someone who is used to the west coast recruiting scene. I think I would take Few over Romar, everything else being equal.

As a side note on coaches; I was just thinking about this last night for some reason; remember when Coach K was somewhat close to tkaing the Laker job? It's so weird, that was like 6 or 7 years ago; seems like a million years ago. I can't imagine him coaching anywhere but Duke.

I live almost literally across the street from Pauley Pavilion (actually, just down Sunset and across the 405) and I know a lot of ardent fans of and a few big contributors to the UCLA program. I don't claim to know any inside dope, but I do have a sense of the program, I think.

Romar is a Washington alum, but he has UCLA ties, too - he recruited most of the guys who won their last title. A lot of people wanted him to take over for Harrick, but they gave the job to Lavin who used their shared Purdue legacy to get close to Wooden. A lot of people in the UCLA program thought it was a mistake then and still pine for Romar, who knows he can accomplish a lot more in Westwood than he can in Seattle. I might have overstated it saying there would only be one call made, but I do know that he is at the very top of their list, and I suspect he will strongly consider making the jump, depending on how much damage this story does to the program.

Izzo will not leave MSU.

Agreed. Izzo isn't going anywhere. Neither is Hop. Hop is in line for JB's job when JB is ready and he will almost certainly get it.

This is UCLA. There are several experienced coaches, some with UCLA or at least LA roots, who would kill for that job.

I just want it to be made public that I am available and whatever they offer to their final candidate, I will do it for half.

Isn't about time for Calipari to be moving on? UCLA wants to return to glory days, Cal can get them there quickly and with Wooden no longer around they don't have to worry about a moral compus objecting.

Isn't about time for Calipari to be moving on? UCLA wants to return to glory days, Cal can get them there quickly and with Wooden no longer around they don't have to worry about a moral compus objecting.

Wooden? That dude had more recruits purchased for him than Cal ever will. lol He probably ran the dirtiest program in history.

Wooden? That dude had more recruits purchased for him than Cal ever will. lol He probably ran the dirtiest program in history.

So true. Almost like because it was Wooden that it is just accepted.

Ah yes. But he talked a good game. "Do as I say ,not as I do"