Huge story breaking in LA | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Huge story breaking in LA

1. Few, Gonzaga
2. Bennett, St. Mary's
3. Pastner, Memphis

I wouldn't be surprised if Shaka's name gets thrown around.

I also wonder if Tommy Amaker will get another shot at a big conference program -- though I don't think this would be it.

I can't understand why Pastner would be an option for such a high profile job. He has proven he can recruit but he is getting out coached every time I watch memphis.

I also agree with those saying this isn't such a huge story. Its bad for UCLA and Howland but its what college kids do and it seems Howland's approach is all wrong with the guys who are really out of control.

You know, to me, this just doesnt seem like that beyond the ordinary for a team with top recruits and a coach that doesnt discipline. It's not the crazy program breaker i thought it would be.
Actually your thought was the same as 1 of 2 thoughts I had reading this. Thats it? The headlines are juicier than the meat of the article.
My second thought was how close is the situation there to here? Or really just about any high profile school?
I think the false perception is that most major college college HC are as much more engaged as Howland is portrayed. That's why there are Asst coaches. Even the venerable Coach K, is arms length away from the troops most of the time. You won't see these guys having a pizza party on Friday nite in the dorms with their players. The media tries to make you think something is wrong if it is not like that.
As far as partying, bet these guys have NOTHING on guys from say 67-85.

It just means that ESPN will start digging to find (read: create) the next story of a program that is 'out of control'.

UConn seems like a good place to start...
...never happen!

Wow, this is quite a cautionary tale of the perils a college coach faces trying to mold a team out of a group of high profile athletes. It shows that no matter how they accomplish it, coaches need to really understand the dynamics of how their players interact on and off the court. And it obviously shows that a few bad apples can bring the whole show down if they're allowed to run amok.

That Nelson kid actually injured players in practice not counting fighting with them and got away with it till just recently. Matt Carlino had a concussion that kept him out of games , sat out and transferred to BYU. His dad played for Arizona St and is a also a coach with all sorts of ties in basketball especially the west coast. Crazy that Howland wouldn't know that anything hinkey wouldn't end up being public.

That Nelson kid actually injured players in practice not counting fighting with them and got away with it till just recently. Matt Carlino had a concussion that kept him out of games , sat out and transferred to BYU. His dad played for Arizona St and is a also a coach with all sorts of ties in basketball especially the west coast. Crazy that Howland wouldn't know that anything hinkey wouldn't end up being public.
Yeah, it seems that Nelson's bad behavior was chronic and on display for years, yet Howland and his staff chose to tolerate and ignore it. No sympathy for Howland if it ends badly for him there because he hitched his train to these kids and then committed the greatest sin of all -- his teams stopped winning.

Reeves Nelson = proof that every now and then, you can judge a book by it's cover.

Reeves Nelson.jpg

Eh, not as bad as I thought. Was built up to be quite a bomb shell. Wonder if there was any sex with assistant coach's wife...

This kind of reminds me of the Red Sox current "beer in the clubhouse" issue. I'd bet it was like that for years, but no one cared because they were winning. I'd even bet that Boston locals would have been proud of it if it came out during the World Series. It wasn't until all the finger pointing within between owners, management, and players after the collapse that it got any attention. I'd bet at UCLA things weren't a whole lot different, other than perhaps a single bad apple player or isolated incident, than when they were going to the final four every year.

Losing brings about great scrutiny. Something that is ok when a team is winning, suddenly becomes a symbol of everything wrong with the organization when things don't work. It could be as simple as their unheralded classes were underrated, and the new recruits were overrated. Sometimes that's all it is.

I agree that its more embarrasing than anything but I would have to think now that the cover has been removed how many people will start to dive into the pool to try to find that buried treasure that could expose more than what was written. If that even exists.

This is only a story because Howland isn't going to the F4 every year like he was at the beginning of his tenure there.

I can't believe Ben Howland has lasted this long at UCLA. He's been a MAJOR disappointment since the Final Fours.

And I bet, given the chance, Jay Wright would jump at the opportunity. Still on of the top dozen jobs in college hoops.

be

I don't think the drugs and partying are a big deal, but the fights, tormenting other players, late to meetings, preferential treament is

also people saying it is not a big deal just look at the players they had and their record, definitely a big deal

This kind of reminds me of the Red Sox current "beer in the clubhouse" issue. I'd bet it was like that for years, but no one cared because they were winning. I'd even bet that Boston locals would have been proud of it if it came out during the World Series. It wasn't until all the finger pointing within between owners, management, and players after the collapse that it got any attention. I'd bet at UCLA things weren't a whole lot different, other than perhaps a single bad apple player or isolated incident, than when they were going to the final four every year.

Losing brings about great scrutiny. Something that is ok when a team is winning, suddenly becomes a symbol of everything wrong with the organization when things don't work. It could be as simple as their unheralded classes were underrated, and the new recruits were overrated. Sometimes that's all it is.
actually it is well known that the world series team did a shot of jack before games, but you could say that was a team building type thing and not guys pounding beers while a game was going on

This piece seems pretty similar to the Daily Orange expose on the 2001-2002 Syracuse team.

Not really the bombshell that I was expecting.

Brad Stevens? I would make Mike Montgomery the #1 choice, Amaker #2. I might even make a run at Wright or Matta

While not a HUGE STORY, I think it's a great article.

Goes to show how critical psychology is to sports performance. That team unity and chemistry is so important and cannot be taken for granted, and a few bad apples can truly spoil the bunch.

Of course it's obviously not unique to UCLA, as poor team chemistry and bad behavior happens at more college basketball programs than not. But using a historical powerhouse like the Bruins as an example is more attractive. In fact, coincidentally just the other day I asked a buddy of mine: "What the hell happened to UCLA?"

Yeah I don't think UCLA is going to hire a guy with no experience as a head coach.
nor to one with no current connection to the important West Coast recruiting areas.

the first call will be to Lorenzo Romar . . . and there won't be any need for a second call.

This story is disturbing on so many levels. It's unbelievable that Reeves was allowed to get away with purposely injuring his own teammates. Howland should be banished from head coaching for 10 years for that alone. Actually, anyone above Howland who knew about it but did nothing should be hung too.

Brad Stevens? I would make Mike Montgomery the #1 choice, Amaker #2. I might even make a run at Wright or Matta

Montgomery might not want to move within the conference.