Huge story breaking in LA | Syracusefan.com

Huge story breaking in LA

Calcuse

Walk On
According to an article in SI, Howland and his AD are as good as gone, for rampant drug use among the players and absolute loss of control of the program. So whats the guess for Howland's replacement? If not an alum (preferable someone who played for Wooden), then I'd say they should pay Izzo whatever he asks!

Heard someone was working on this story from somewhere. There you go.

According to an article in SI, Howland and his AD are as good as gone, for rampant drug use among the players and absolute loss of control of the program. So whats the guess for Howland's replacement? If not an alum (preferable someone who played for Wooden), then I'd say they should pay Izzo whatever he asks!

Mike Hopkins. LA roots. Good guy.

j/k

Paging Mr. Mike Hopkins to the white courtesy phone...Mr. Mike Hopkins to the white courtesy phone.

Paging Mr. Mike Hopkins to the white courtesy phone...Mr. Mike Hopkins to the white courtesy phone.
WOW, this is a huge story. Not sure UCLA would go for a guy with no expereince, but don't think he'd be able to turn that opportunity down...

A year ago, Dixon would have been all the rage there... Following Howland again. I'm sure any number of programs will go hard after BH, given what is ultimately discovered.

WOW, this is a huge story. Not sure UCLA would go for a guy with no expereince, but don't think he'd be able to turn that opportunity down...

Why wouldn't they? If SU has enough confidence to make him their "coach in waiting" then why shouldn't UCLA have confidence in him? Young, solid recruiter with the backing of SU.

somebody posted yesterday this was going to happen. Yikes

Why wouldn't they? If SU has enough confidence to make him their "coach in waiting" then why shouldn't UCLA have confidence in him? Young, solid recruiter with the backing of SU.
You may be right. I guess I'm hoping that's the case so we don't lose him...

BTW: What's the over/under on Kyle Anderson ending up at UK after all this comes to a head??

Ummm, its UCLA.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

A year ago, Dixon would have been all the rage there... Following Howland again. I'm sure any number of programs will go hard after BH, given what is ultimately discovered.

I really don't see 1 down year erasing a decade.

UCLA would never ever hire Hopkins with no experience. Anyone who suggested that in the room would be immediately kicked out.

I really don't see 1 down year erasing a decade.

It shouldn't but to bring up another point I failed to mention, I wonder if they would go for someone from the same tree of the guy they just fired?

SI has UCLA dead to rights, but even a hint of any of this is true Howland is as good as gone. A lot of UCLA players have transferred recently Mike Moser-UNLV, Drew Gordon-New Mexico, Matt Carlino- BYU, Reeves Nelson got booted for undisclosed violations of team conduct. So where is smoke there is fire. I believe if it wasn't Howland being booted Jaime Dixon would be a top candidate with him out it has to be the Godfather offer to Mark Few in Gonzaga to be the guy at UCLA.

What does this mean for Kyle Anderson? Seton Hall bound? LMAO

Hop's wife is from just outside 'Cuse and is tight with her family.
There is zero chance they move to California.
St. Bonnies 5-10 years ago maybe, Cali now? Not a chance.

UCLA would never ever hire Hopkins with no experience. Anyone who suggested that in the room would be immediately kicked out.

I dunno about that. Hop is very well respected in coaching circles. He is the face of Syracuse when on the recruiting trail and is the established successor to a Hall of Fame coach.

Fiery young coach with ties to Los Angeles? While UCLA may not hire him, I'm confident he'd make the short list. UCLA would be crazy NOT to take a look at him.

(FWIW...I'm pulling for Hop to stay here)

What does this mean for Kyle Anderson? Seton Hall bound? LMAO
UK wanna put money on it? :)

Maybe they'll get him and Shabazz and NN will want to be the man somewhere else... That'll be a pricey class!

In a game during the 2007-08 season, several players on the bench noted Howland's frustration with the shot selection of Westbrook, whose freelancing had resulted in several baskets. But rather than substituting for him, Howland informed one of the officials that Westbrook was wearing socks bearing an NBA logo, which violated NCAA uniform guidelines. Howland told the official he had an obligation to remove Westbrook from the game because of his socks. The official claimed to be unaware of the rule and let play continue.

OMG is this real life?

Yeah I don't think UCLA is going to hire a guy with no experience as a head coach.

I dunno about that. Hop is very well respected in coaching circles. He is the face of Syracuse when on the recruiting trail and is the established successor to a Hall of Fame coach.

Fiery young coach with ties to Los Angeles? While UCLA may not hire him, I'm confident he'd make the short list. UCLA would be crazy NOT to take a look at him.

(FWIW...I'm pulling for Hop to stay here)
USC can hire Hopkins.

UCLA cannot.

Someone else brought it up, but I'd think Mark Few would have to be high on their list. West coast guy, very good coach who has brought good recruits to a midmajor and turned it into a perennial top 25 (or top 30, at least) team. He's who I'd be going after if I was UCLA.

1. Few, Gonzaga
2. Bennett, St. Mary's
3. Pastner, Memphis