Hughes | Syracusefan.com

Hughes

He's a really likable player. Seems to hit 3s at all the right times (when we need them, or to extend a lead). Quietly adding some skills to his repertoire too - occasional monster dunk, bringing the ball up the court, driving, and some nice mid-range jumpers. I would lump him with some other guys who improved over the course of their college career - CJ, Kris Joseph, Nichols, etc.

I know I made some posts in his recruiting thread that I wasn't too excited about his stats at East Carolina and didn't think he was going to be that good. Those haven't aged well and I'm happy to say it.

Would we win a game without him?

Who would've thunk an Eastern Carolina transfer would be the only reason we're competitive.
He’s fabulous. But I hate that question. Think if you took the best player off any team that it might make them a worse team?

Would we win a game without him?

Who would've thunk an Eastern Carolina transfer would be the only reason we're competitive.
Who would have thought an Iowa State transfer would be a big reason why 2010 was so special. Or that a could who got 0 PT at Duke would lead us to a Final Four. Or that a USF grad transfer would...oops!

He’s fabulous. But I hate that question. Think if you took the best player off any team that it might make them a worse team?

Of course it would make us worse but the question is how much worse.

He’s shown good developments since he got on campus. If only our PGs and Centers could improve as much as he has

I really hope he stays. I know we stink right now, but I really like the pieces we have for the next few years. I think Joe will be great. I really am optimistic that Edwards will take a huge leap next year. Call me foolish, but I like the make up of the team. We’re just bad at the moment.

I really hope he stays. I know we stink right now, but I really like the pieces we have for the next few years. I think Joe will be great. I really am optimistic that Edwards will take a huge leap next year. Call me foolish, but I like the make up of the team. We’re just bad at the moment.
I agree.

Who would have thought an Iowa State transfer would be a big reason why 2010 was so special. Or that a could who got 0 PT at Duke would lead us to a Final Four. Or that a USF grad transfer would...oops!

Well in fairness we did expect Wes to be a major player. He put up big stats at Iowa State while injured as a sophomore, if I recall correctly

I was skeptical of Hughes when they brought him in, but he's way been way better than anticipated. Since 09-10, he's 3rd in PER among SU players with more than 10 FGA (Senior Rak is no. 1 and Wes is No. 2), no. 1 ppg, no. 1 in made 3s per game, and 4th in Ast% behind the PGs. His defense isn't nearly as good as Wes was, but he's still a net negative.

Of course it would make us worse but the question is how much worse.

I've got this hypothesis that SU's small forwards are the most interchangeable group on the team every year (because Boeheim both features them and doesn't ask too much of them as far as dribbling, passing, even defense). We always have decent-at-worst 3s on reserve. It's the bigs and guards who are the difference-makers between average and great teams.

On the whole, Hughes has been very good, and I think he's still improving. Losing him would probably lose the team a couple games. But if you took him off the team and gave Braswell all of his minutes, I have no doubt that Braswell would average 15 on the season, shoot a respectable percentage, and the team would more or less keep winning and losing games at its current pace.

Last edited:
I've got this hypothesis that SU's small forwards are the most interchangeable group on the team every year (because Boeheim both features them and doesn't ask too much of them as far as dribbling, passing, even defense). We always have decent-at-worst 3s on reserve. It's the bigs and guards who are the difference-makers between average and great teams.

On the whole, Hughes has been very good, and I think he's still improving. Losing him would probably lose the team a couple games. But if you took him off the team and gave Braswell all of his minutes, I have no doubt that Braswell would average 15 on the season, shoot a respectable percentage, and the team would more or less keep winning and losing games at its current pace.
Braswell has the skill. I'm not sure he has the confidence and "toughness" to shoulder those type of expectations. JB obviously does not think so. Hughes will be huge loss.

This is an interesting take!

Elijah really should have been more of a focal point of the offense last season. They should have ran more plays and screens for him. I know part of it was having our PG injured most of the season so the ball didn’t get to him in the best spots.

Uh...so you think we have a 15ppg scorer on the bench that is getting no PT? How many guys have averaged that for us from the forward spot lately? Hughes and CJ Fair in the last 6-7 years?

Hughes is scoring at a tremendous rate, is a good passer and has the other teams full attention and gets their #1 defender every night. I like Braswell too, but to think hed replace Hughes that easily is an insult to Eli...and also an insult to JB if we have a 15ppg scorer sitting on the bench and not playing at all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom