Hughes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hughes

Uh...so you think we have a 15ppg scorer on the bench that is getting no PT? How many guys have averaged that for us from the forward spot lately? Hughes and CJ Fair in the last 6-7 years?

Hughes is scoring at a tremendous rate, is a good passer and has the other teams full attention and gets their #1 defender every night. I like Braswell too, but to think hed replace Hughes that easily is an insult to Eli...and also an insult to JB if we have a 15ppg scorer sitting on the bench and not playing at all

Given their usage, I think almost every small forward he recruits is a 15ppg scorer. It's not an insult to Hughes, who I think is better than Braswell at most things. It's just the nature of the offense. A dead man can get one rebound, and a dead small forward can score ~15 a night. Heck, even Oshae nearly hit those numbers while making his layups at a 33% clip.

Given their usage, I think almost every small forward he recruits is a 15ppg scorer. It's not an insult to Hughes, who I think is better than Braswell at most things. It's just the nature of the offense. A dead man can get one rebound, and a dead small forward can score ~15 a night. Heck, even Oshae nearly hit those numbers while making his layups at a 33% clip.

Then Hughes should be playing more SG, and Braswell (or a dead man) should be playing some more SF! :)

Then Hughes should be playing more SG, and Braswell (or a dead man) should be playing some more SF! :)

I just don't see Hughes thriving there. He'd be a defensive liability and we probably want more ballhandlers on the court, not fewer.

I just don't see Hughes thriving there. He'd be a defensive liability and we probably want more ballhandlers on the court, not fewer.

A defensive liability? On this team - I'm not sure we could find any combinations that would make us worse. Maybe HoWash in the middle of the zone?? :)

Sooooooooo, Goodine at SF!

I would be fine with a lineup of

Girard, Hughes, braswell, doley, sidibe/Edwards

I wish we saw some more creativity in line ups to try and spark something.

I've got this hypothesis that SU's small forwards are the most interchangeable group on the team every year (because Boeheim both features them and doesn't ask too much of them as far as dribbling, passing, even defense). We always have decent-at-worst 3s on reserve. It's the bigs and guards who are the difference-makers between average and great teams.

On the whole, Hughes has been very good, and I think he's still improving. Losing him would probably lose the team a couple games. But if you took him off the team and gave Braswell all of his minutes, I have no doubt that Braswell would average 15 on the season, shoot a respectable percentage, and the team would more or less keep winning and losing games at its current pace.

Brissett couldn't average 15 a game and he's played for the Raptors this year. Heck CJ played 35 mpg his JR year and scored 14 a game.

especially for all the fans who criticized JB for taking the transfer and said he wasn't good enough to play here

I questioned the talent he had when they brought him in. I'm glad they did though.

Would we win a game without him?

Who would've thunk an Eastern Carolina transfer would be the only reason we're competitive.

Unlike more hyped guys in Tyus and Oshae, Eli has a game that has a lot of things that equate to success in the NBA not just a shot. He may not end up even as a first rounder but he could be a Wes Matthews type who a team quickly realizes is a major weapon who can do a little bit of everything. His ability to score at all 3 levels would have scouts salivating if we weren't so dreadful as a team this year.

Also, his ability to defer to others within the flow and just general court sense has grown significantly since last year. I do think he has to be careful to not defer too much but overall he has been worth the price of admission.

I'm not sure people appreciate just how good Hughes is, because as a team we've been pretty awful. He is the unquestioned number one option and draws the best defenders night in and night out, all while logging major minutes.

The shots he's taking and making are NBA level. He can create and get his shot just about anytime. He can score from anywhere on the floor, has above average athletic ability and gives maximum effort at all times. I wish we had another guy or 2 near his level. He's an all ACC caliber level player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom