Hunt? | Syracusefan.com

Hunt?

Jamesvillecuse

2nd String
I was very surprised that Hunt wasn't voted one of the captains. The QB is the leader of the offense and I feel that being a leader is one of his strong points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hunt is not a senior. He will surely be a captain next year. Pretty sure that any player with eligibility left isn't eligible to be voted for.

Hunt is not a senior. He will surely be a captain next year. Pretty sure that any player with eligibility left isn't eligible to be voted for.

Coach said that anyone could get voted for, however it was weighted by class. Votes for seniors worth more than those for Juniors and Sophmores etc.

Vote points go like this:
Sr. Vote - 4 points
Jr. Vote - 3 points
So. Vote - 2 points
Fr. Vote - 1 point

This is how he explained it to me in June, maybe it changed but that was the plan. The only reason I know is bc I asked him how they did it bc we were going to change our philosophy on it this year.

Schafer said captains are weighted towards seniors.

Yes, but the seniors VOTES are worth more. As in if Hickey voted for Hunt it would be worth 4 pts. If Hunt voted for Hickey it would be worth 3 pts. It's the vote that's weighted not the player receiving the vote.

At least that's how I remember Shafer saying it.

I was a bit surprised as well. Was kind of hoping for it as well. He is a redshirt Sr. Leadership shouldn't be determined by class imo. You're either a leader or your not. The guys on the team know who is, and who isn't.

my recollection is that it's not very common to see an underclassman be a captain. not graves, not mcnabb, not nassib. i don't sweat it.

Coach said that anyone could get voted for, however it was weighted by class. Votes for seniors worth more than those for Juniors and Sophmores etc.

I think it was votes BY seniors count more, not who they vote for. The idea is, if you have been in the program longer, your vote counts more. It's not discounted if they voted for a younger player. At least that's not the way I took it.

I was a bit surprised as well. Was kind of hoping for it as well. He is a redshirt Sr. Leadership shouldn't be determined by class imo. You're either a leader or your not. The guys on the team know who is, and who isn't.

Hunt is a redshirt junior if that's who you are referring to...

Schafer said captains are weighted towards seniors.

Who is this Schafer fellow you speak of?

Vote points go like this:
Sr. Vote - 4 points
Jr. Vote - 3 points
So. Vote - 2 points
Fr. Vote - 1 point

This is how he explained it to me in June, maybe it changed but that was the plan. The only reason I know is bc I asked him how they did it bc we were going to change our philosophy on it this year.

I believe this is correct and coaches got a vote also that counted as 4 pts

No worries, Wonder about Rodgers? Who votes for the long snapper? Lol. Must be a great kid!

Hunt is a redshirt junior if that's who you are referring to...

Who is this Schafer fellow you speak of?

Yes, what I meant is that he has been in the program for 4 years, and academically is a Senior.

With the emphasis on academics I am surprised they use football classifications as the sliding scale for vote points.

In Syracuse's election the votes of senior players and coaches will be worth four points each, juniors will be worth three, sophomores will be worth two and freshmen count for one point.

Shafer said he has no date set for captains to be picked.

"It'll probably be when we get back from Fort Drum," Shafer said. "I always look forward to their development at Fort Drum when they're on their own and there is no social media and there's no WiFi and it's just them. They can see each other and it's just them and they can make their decisions on who they choose to lead."

Shafer said he prefers all players have some say in the process which is why he waits to name captains until halfway through training camp and freshmen have arrived and spent some time around the veterans.

It's a process that rewards the players most heavily invested in the Syracuse program but also values each member of the team.

"The freshman, they don't know these guys, and then you're going to give them a chance to vote?" Shafer said. "That's a pretty big part of the vote. I never like to prescribe a day where you end up voting for captains because I think leadership is a really tricky thing, especially this day in age. It's something that needs to be developed and earned."

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...acuse_football_team_and_coaches_use_to_p.html

No worries, Wonder about Rodgers? Who votes for the long snapper? Lol. Must be a great kid!
It's not uncommon to have a Special Teams captain. Punters (Rob Long) and holders (Jim Gorzalski) are more common to be captains than snappers, but why not? I'm sure he's earned a lot of respect. Maybe all of the coaches voted for him? :)

Moontan said:
It's not uncommon to have a Special Teams captain. Punters (Rob Long) and holders (Jim Gorzalski) are more common to be captains than snappers, but why not? I'm sure he's earned a lot of respect. Maybe all of the coaches voted for him? :)

It is also good to have a captain from all three units of the football team...

He's SU's nominee for that Good Works team so it seems he certainly fits the bill.

I actually asked Hunt how he felt about this, he said the captain choices were great. Couldn't ask for better picks. He didn't mind not being voted a captain because he knows he's a natural leader at quarterback. He went on to say that at the end of the day "Hickey is gonna listen to me, and I'm obviously going to listen to him"

He didn't mind not being voted a captain because he knows he's a natural leader at quarterback.
Yeah, real leaders don't need titles. It's nice and can help, but a real leader is there no matter what.

No problem with it lol. Long snapping is actually a very hard thing to do.

I actually asked Hunt how he felt about this, he said the captain choices were great. Couldn't ask for better picks. He didn't mind not being voted a captain because he knows he's a natural leader at quarterback. He went on to say that at the end of the day "Hickey is gonna listen to me, and I'm obviously going to listen to him"

I freaking love Hunt.

Whatever "it" is when it comes to leadership, this kid has "it" in spades.

Let's Go Orange!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom