Hunter Dickinson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hunter Dickinson

If the decision was made to use NIL money to go with a younger player, HD or a similar player, to go with the rest of the sophs on the team to build towards '24 and beyond is sound reasoning. Love Jesse but can't put too big of expectations on next year.

Last edited:
His hs coach just went to Maryland from V. Tech and I'm a bit worried about Maryland getting him. But new world is it isn't about the HS coach anymore but who will pay the most $$$.
Honestly, I do think Newhouse, Maxwell and sports management, and the new Esports degrees will help also. Especially a borderline NBA type (which can be a 5 star type) who will be looking for a future career.
Yes, I have seen a couple people mention his old high school coach. But Hunter turns 23 in November, which means he played for this coach a zillion years ago when he was 16/17. Why would this even be a consideration for one final season of college ball? It would seem to me the Newhouse (future career) factor would carry a lot more weight in the decision-making process. Also, Georgetown seems to be one of his top-3 as well -- if the high school coach was a big deal, why would G'town even be in the running? But as you referenced, it will probably come down to the NIL $$ anyway. However, if we are in the same ballpark, perhaps he would take slightly less for Newhouse.

Yes, I have seen a couple people mention his old high school coach. But Hunter turns 23 in November, which means he played for this coach a zillion years ago when he was 16/17. Why would this even be a consideration for one final season of college ball? It would seem to me the Newhouse (future career) factor would carry a lot more weight in the decision-making process. Also, Georgetown seems to be one of his top-3 as well -- if the high school coach was a big deal, why would G'town even be in the running? But as you referenced, it will probably come down to the NIL $$ anyway. However, if we are in the same ballpark, perhaps he would take slightly less for Newhouse.

Plus it's not like Maryland is out there setting the world on fire. Good program still and consistent NCAA team but Willard has proven over time he is limited as a coach too.

Beyond Newhouse, close to his family's roots and hopefully a top shelf NIL offer, it's good exposure via ESPN as well as immediately being immediately the top big man in the ACC. This stacks onto plugging onto a key role in all things we do much like Jesse would have. It's all there if the offer is enough.

But Hunter turns 23 in November, which means he played for this coach a zillion years ago when he was 16/17.
Sheesh, he do a stint in the military or mission before college?

GTown is in the running because it's like 20 minutes from where he grew up and the Cooley hire and everything he's done since have shown that Georgetown is finally getting serious about basketball instead of messing around with John Thompson nostalgia that none of today's kids can relate to. I'm not sure it has anything to do with his HS coach.

I don't think we have much of a shot at landing Dickinson. Seems like our best angle is that we have all the playing time in the world to offer, but he'll be the top dog wherever he winds up so it's not like it's that big of an advantage. But a small shot is better than no shot.

Last edited:
GTown is in the running because it's like 20 minutes from where he grew up and the Cooley hire and everything he's done since have shown that Georgetown is finally getting serious about basketball instead of messing around with John Thompson nostalgia that none of today's kids can relate to. I'm not sure it has anything to do with his HS coach.

I don't think we have much of a shot at landing Dickinson. Seems like our best angle is that we have all the playing time in the world to offer, but he'll be the top dog wherever he winds up so it's not like it's that big of an advantage. But a small shot is better than no shot.

Thing about Gtown is it's a complete rebuild. Rebuilds from the ground up certainly... "can" work and have. That's not generally the norm though. Providence hasn't been a post offense juggernaut by any stretch. If we can compete offer wise I don't see how we would be out of the game. That podcast comment he made about not being decided yet and the visits being unofficial didn't give any sense he is over the moon over the Hoyas or Terps at the moment.

Not saying we get him or we are in a better position just don't think this sounds like we are coming into the game with little chance. Also- the fact UK got first dibs and things didn't land feels like it opened it right up.

GTown is in the running because it's like 20 minutes from where he grew up and the Cooley hire and everything he's done since have shown that Georgetown is finally getting serious about basketball instead of messing around with John Thompson nostalgia. I'm not sure it has anything to do with his HS coach.

A ton of playing time, being the "face" of the new Orange, reasonably tough competition, playing in a huge arena right on campus and "studying" something he really wants to do.
Does that offset the negatives if he's the big fish on a potentially weak team that won't make the tournament?
The prospects brighten if Judah Mintz could be counted on.

Last edited:
A ton of playing time, being the "face" of the new Orange, reasonably tough competition, playing in a huge arena right on campus and "studying" something he really want to do.
Does that offset the negatives if he's the big fish on a potentially weak team that won't make the tournament?
One would think that if HD comes that it might open the door for others to follow. If no Judah, then another very good PG to fill that position.

A ton of playing time, being the "face" of the new Orange, reasonably tough competition, playing in a huge arena right on campus and "studying" something he really want to do.
Kansas has a gaping hole at C too, and Bill Self loves nothing more than when he has a dependable big man. Dickinson will be a near-automatic 20 and 12 guy if he commits there. Kentucky will have a ton of PT to offer as well if Tshiebwe leaves.

Those schools have even more rabid followings and more robust NIL opportunities than Syracuse, and with all due respect to Autry much more accomplished coaches. I think they're as big a threat if not moreso than the DMV schools.

Kansas has a gaping hole at C too, and Bill Self loves nothing more than when he has a dependable big man. Kentucky will have a ton of PT to offer as well if Tshiebwe leaves.

Those schools have even more rabid followings and more robust NIL opportunities than Syracuse, and with all due respect to Autry much more accomplished coaches. I think they're as big a threat if not moreso than the DMV schools.

Kansas has been mentioned but that's it. That I've seen.

Yeah GTown is in the running but you act
Like we aren’t also in the running

Kansas has a gaping hole at C too, and Bill Self loves nothing more than when he has a dependable big man. Dickinson will be a near-automatic 20 and 12 guy if he commits there. Kentucky will have a ton of PT to offer as well if Tshiebwe leaves.

Very few schools are going to outspend Kansas. They were probably paying Wilt Chamberlain a million bucks to go there 65 years ago.

I never said we aren't in the running.

You’re talking about how robust these programs are with NIL like you work for the universities. How do you know what we offer versus these other schools?

You’re talking about how robust these programs are with NIL like you work for the universities. How do you know what we offer versus these other schools?
No one exactly knows. But seeing who signs where should gives us all a good idea.

I do like the idea that we might be appearing only on a few lists of guys in the portal. If we focus in on a few, we might have better success.

I think Red has a real fire under him to get HD. I would say Cuse has a much better shot than I originally thought; however, it boils down to how much NIL money we can offer, and I don't know the answer to that question.

His AAU connection is our biggest advantage. If we didn't have that, we would have very little shot.

According to The Athletic, Tshiebwe made $2.75M in NIL deals this season. Do you think we can compete with that, or have enough other things going for us to close the gap?

It's great that the staff got a Zoom meeting with Hunter. As I said before, it beats the alternative. But if you think we have a similar shot to his other suitors, I have a bridge to sell you.

According to The Athletic, Tshiebwe made $2.75M in NIL deals this season. Do you think we can compete with that, or have enough other things going for us to close the gap?

It's great that the staff got a Zoom meeting with Hunter. As I said before, it beats the alternative. But if you think we have a similar shot to his other suitors, I have a bridge to sell you.
I'm going to need to hear more about this bridge of yours.

You didn't answer the question.

You don't think the staff knew what the dollars being discussed were before setting up the call?

I'll bet your bridge that they did. It wasn't just an intro and how's the weather.
My thoughts as well. You don't zoom call with the number 1 guy in the portal just to kick the tires and try to sell him on the program with a lowball offer. The staff knows the ballpark number to land someone like him and have been very selective on who they reach out to in the portal vs like Arkansas who has contacted pretty much every kid that has entered the portal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom