Hunter Dickinson | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hunter Dickinson

According to The Athletic, Tshiebwe made $2.75M in NIL deals this season. Do you think we can compete with that, or have enough other things going for us to close the gap?

It's great that the staff got a Zoom meeting with Hunter. As I said before, it beats the alternative. But if you think we have a similar shot to his other suitors, I have a bridge to sell you.

Here is the key- "Deals". Also UK didn't get a lot of lift out of that this year from a value perspective other than good stats. Every team is figuring this out and that includes how to manage multiple NIL deals. It's way too early or presumptuous to use this single example and say we are out of the game.

Every team is figuring this out and that includes how to manage multiple NIL deals
Pro sports figured this out a while ago, but teams still make boneheaded signings because they think they have to.

This is where analytics and value comparisons are going to be a huge advantage. Like someone else posted, it's the gold rush right now. People are getting giddy about being able to attract talent with money and also with the collectives, it's a rush for fans to be involved. That feeling is going to go away and the marginal advantage from a "celebrity" transfer might not be as valuable as the cost. There are a lot of players available at any given point and the ones who are truly standouts are going to the NBA.

Pro sports figured this out a while ago, but teams still make boneheaded signings because they think they have to.

This is where analytics and value comparisons are going to be a huge advantage. Like someone else posted, it's the gold rush right now. People are getting giddy about being able to attract talent with money and also with the collectives, it's a rush for fans to be involved. That feeling is going to go away and the marginal advantage from a "celebrity" transfer might not be as valuable as the cost. There are a lot of players available at any given point and the ones who are truly standouts are going to the NBA.

Yep. Hence the value of a GM. Also this is why I like the Straughn hire too as he noted how much importance he places on analytics. That's hopefully going to shine through too.

This is a good point. All these deals set a precedent.
So it is important to be careful (aka financially prudent), even if it is someone else's money.

According to The Athletic, Tshiebwe made $2.75M in NIL deals this season. Do you think we can compete with that, or have enough other things going for us to close the gap?

It's great that the staff got a Zoom meeting with Hunter. As I said before, it beats the alternative. But if you think we have a similar shot to his other suitors, I have a bridge to sell you.
He was also the national player of the year. Dickinson is not.

To be honest I don’t believe this at all

Kansas is one of Jesse’s final three schools. Gonzaga, WV and Kansas. That would eliminate Dickinson to Kansas if Jesse chooses them.

I’m guessing that he chooses WV. We already know that Gonzaga isn’t interested and I bet Kansas isn’t either. They all may have reached out, but similar to Syracuse, decided the price was too high. So, basically, WV is overpaying for Jesse.

Kansas is one of Jesse’s final three schools. Gonzaga, WV and Kansas. That would eliminate Dickinson to Kansas if Jesse chooses them.

I think it's the other away around, to be fair...

I just posted the same thing on FB about an hour ago.

Who would those trash squads want our leftovers……..

I was and I'm still for college athletes getting paid, but I didn't expect it to be this complicated and competitive. Basically, it's free agency every year for in demand players. The players who will benefit the most from this are solid 4 year players who are borderline NBA players (Tswhibe, Jesse, Bacot) who see NIL as a way to earn perhaps more than they will ever make post college. This is bad for us because if we continue to struggle to get 5 star one and done players and develop the 1 to 3 star players that we get, those developed guys will be targeted and poached from us once they become valuable.

Anyone know how the Zoom went? Are we getting a visit? Is our NIL in the right ballpark?

If Kansas wants Hunter they will outbid all schools involved. Hunter to Kansas and by default Edwards to West Virginia. Perhaps we should go after a mediocre center who is still better than what we have and not valued highly in the portal market (ie: the non-descript centers from lowly programs that outperform against us each year).

If Kansas wants Hunter they will outbid all schools involved. Hunter to Kansas and by default Edwards to West Virginia. Perhaps we should go after a mediocre center who is still better than what we have and not valued highly in the portal market (ie: the non-descript centers from lowly programs that outperform against us each year).

Still have to make our case to Hunter - Cisse is a clear top #2 option

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom