Hunter Dickinson | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Hunter Dickinson

Let me guess the translation:

Calipari: I've been doing this my whole career and now I can do it openly. I have $2MM for HD! Anyone got anything close? Shut up, he's mine. &%$#^%$, you all!

Am I close?

About $ 2million

Yes and if we can’t play in the big boy $ pool then Cisse would be an excellent get. But let’s try and not overreact. It would actually be a downgrade from Jesse

Dickinson in his latest podcast says there are 1-2 more schools he might visit in addition to those that have already been named.
I've lost any expectation of actually getting Dickinson after hearing the rumor that Kansas offered a $4m deal. He'd be a fool not to take the money and contend for a championship with Kansas. Yes I know people say NIL deals have been exaggerated, but even if it's not quite that much, Kansas will be hard to beat, and if they do get beat, Kentucky probably gets the next shot. Of course as soon as he announces he's visiting Cuse I'll be sky-high and ready to be hurt again.

seems like there's this little NIL niche now established with bigs like Dickinson, Jesse, Tshibwe, Bacot, (Edey I'm guessing?) - little to no realistic NBA path but still highly coveted in the college game and the market for them apparently surging... good for them?

NIL is ruining college sports. The corrupt actions that previously conducted behind the lens of public exposure are now being legalized by the corrupt NCAA!​

IMO, athletes have a right to name, image and likeness compensation. However, universities, with deep pockets are now openly bidding on players to get their commitment.​

4D90F82D-D448-4679-99A4-77F4C85985D7.jpeg

Last edited:
I've lost any expectation of actually getting Dickinson after hearing the rumor that Kansas offered a $4m deal. He'd be a fool not to take the money and contend for a championship with Kansas. Yes I know people say NIL deals have been exaggerated, but even if it's not quite that much, Kansas will be hard to beat, and if they do get beat, Kentucky probably gets the next shot. Of course as soon as he announces he's visiting Cuse I'll be sky-high and ready to be hurt again.
If we didn't pay to keep Jesse, which can't be close to what Hunter should/will get, we aren't realistically in the market for Hunter. Perhaps this could have been the big splash that we finally could have made with Weitsman, but I don't think the current collective can pull this off.

seems like there's this little NIL niche now established with bigs like Dickinson, Jesse, Tshibwe, Bacot, (Edey I'm guessing?) - little to no realistic NBA path but still highly coveted in the college game and the market for them apparently surging... good for them?
Yeah I know we're salty about it because we lost our guy, but this is great for those players and if it keeps them in the college game longer, that's positive.

If we didn't pay to keep Jesse, which can't be close to what Hunter should/will get, we aren't realistically in the market for Hunter. Perhaps this could have been the big splash that we finally could have made with Weitsman, but I don't think the current collective can pull this off.
What are the resources at the collective's disposal? Who are its peer schools? I see info that's all over the place. On one thread, I saw someone post it can't compete with Maryland in NIL money for a big, and then in others, it's just the blue bloods who are above it.

Based on the fact that we didn't pay Jesse $800k when we had already "come to terms " multiple times with his daddy? If Jesse was worth $800k there's plenty of schools that could afford him and showed zero interest. For a reason.

Yeah I know we're salty about it because we lost our guy, but this is great for those players and if it keeps them in the college game longer, that's positive.
If it keeps them at the same school, yes. When there’s no roster continuity fans lose any attachment. They might as well turn pro.

Ive expressed my two cents to our collectives. Use it for retention, Use it for kids with more than 1year.
Take a shot on 1 HS kid but only if they like Cuse a ton without the bag. Bag needs to be a bonus, not the primary reason they pick SU

NIL is ruining college sports. The corrupt actions that previously conducted behind the lens of public exposure are now being legalized by the corrupt NCAA!​

IMO, athletes have a right to name, image and likeness compensation. However, universities, with deep pockets are now openly bidding on players to get their commitment.​

View attachment 227313
Funny. I agree with half of it. But we just had the most ‘open’ and unpredictable tournament I can remember. The playing field has been evened—for the moment—when the old blue bloods who had the field tilted in their favor are beaten by the nobodies. When a WVU can outbid teams for a top 5 transfer, it seems kinda level, in a perverse way. Things are definitely going to be uneven, going forward, just in a different way and with a different set of programs benefitting.

And you can’t call it “corruption” anymore. When the rules change, so must the language and dialog. [Who posted this?]

It’s all disgusting, though. It will certainly change the appetites of consumers/the audience. Then again, media incentivizes ‘unboxing‘ videos, and the public keeps getting dumber and more and more accepting of such dumb stuff, so who knows.

Yeah, so, see... I don't care about the fans.

It's better for the player that actually does the work and makes the sacrifices and that matters more.
Fans are putting in the work when they trudge through 3 feet of snow with no street parking to watch NIT caliber performances. Was it not manual labor when we paid for season tickets and suffered through 4 years of Gerg, climbing all those steps to the top of 318 to watch public execution after public execution?

Yeah, so, see... I don't care about the fans.

It's better for the player that actually does the work and makes the sacrifices and that matters more.

I get what your stance has been on this, but only to a certain point. Eventually, once the fans are discarded enough, there won’t be any more money. There’s a way to balance the needs of the fans and the players. It doesn’t have to be a lawless “get yours while you can” stance. The game will be killed eventually, ruining any chances for the next group of athletes.

I get what your stance has been on this, but only to a certain point. Eventually, once the fans are discarded enough, there won’t be any more money. There’s a way to balance the needs of the fans and the players. It doesn’t have to be a lawless “get yours while you can” stance. The game will be killed eventually, ruining any chances for the next group of athletes.
No bucks, no Buck Rogers. Fandom starts it all.

Fans are putting in the work when they trudge through 3 feet of snow with no street parking to watch NIT caliber performances. Was it not manual labor when we paid for season tickets and suffered through 4 years of Gerg, climbing all those steps to the top of 318 to watch public execution after public execution?
No, it was not.

The fans aren't discarded.

Their experience is different. But I'm not convinced its worse.

I mean, look at us. Yeah, we lost Jesse and it all seems pretty stupid, but we're also facing the chance to have Mintz, Starling, and Westry all on the same roster. That's bananas! We would have gone berserk if we had all of those guys in the same recruiting class. And now, we actually do!

There arent a ton of game ready portal centers right now so I get why you would have to overpay. Seems like the pool for centers is starting to dry up a bit

There arent a ton of game ready portal centers right now so I get why you would have to overpay. Seems like the pool for centers is starting to dry up a bit

That all depends on whether you are including forwards who can play small ball 5. It's not dried up yet nor is every kid who wants to in the portal yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom