Hurley to UK | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hurley to UK

If he stays at UConn, he can eat off these two titles for years as long as his teams remain competitive. If he goes to Kentucky, he gets two or three years to deliver big results. Most of his recruits at UConn have been from the East Coast, as well.

I think he'd be wise to leverage a big offer from Kentucky into a big raise, but stay put at UConn. Some overlap here with the blue bloods discussion in the other thread. Blue bloods don't lose head coaches over money very often (ever?). Roy Williams is the only one that comes to mind in my lifetime, but that wasn't over money it was him going home.

Hopefully he chases the money, though.

I misread that initially. . . . . . . . . . they told me I would mature with age but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The guy has the most punchable face in all college basketball. His own players probably want to take a crack at him. Maybe his own mom.

View attachment 239761
I promised myself I would never open a UConn thread, but you and I have business to discuss.
Tom-Crean--scaled-e1687440641486.jpg

I promised myself I would never open a UConn thread, but you and I have business to discuss.
Tom-Crean--scaled-e1687440641486.jpg
Yeah, that's an epic showdown of punchable faces... Hurley versus Creen. We ought to have a poll... who's face would you prefer to punch if only given one opportunity.

Thinking about this more, I'd probably prefer to punch Creen's face but I'd rather kick Hurley in the nuts.

Despite its success the past 26 years UConn is not a better program than Kentucky. Honestly, outside the Northeast most people think of UConn similarly to Gonzaga or Creighton who have always been good but became more relevant in past 20 years or so. Since I go back to the Thompson, McKay days I know better. That said, Kentucky's program is internationally known as always one of the best programs in the country.
Someone said they didn't think Hurley would go to UK because "he's a northeastern guy." So were Pitino and Calipari.
At UConn Hurley will never be more than the "King of Connecticut." Perhaps that's enough for him. What I do know is not to believe anything he said right after winning the title. The media will claim they "had to ask the question." I say BS. In fact, I would say it is irresponsible and shock journalism to ask a question you already know the answer to, or that you know they can't answer, just for the shock value of putting someone on the spot.
Maybe he'll stay. And maybe the millions to him and more millions of NIL money will be too much to say no to. My guess is he'll be named the next UK coach before the end of the week. Though he is a bit of a putz so I may end up egg on my face.

Despite its success the past 26 years UConn is not a better program than Kentucky. Honestly, outside the Northeast most people think of UConn similarly to Gonzaga or Creighton who have always been good but became more relevant in past 20 years or so. Since I go back to the Thompson, McKay days I know better. That said, Kentucky's program is internationally known as always one of the best programs in the country.
Someone said they didn't think Hurley would go to UK because "he's a northeastern guy." So were Pitino and Calipari.
At UConn Hurley will never be more than the "King of Connecticut." Perhaps that's enough for him. What I do know is not to believe anything he said right after winning the title. The media will claim they "had to ask the question." I say BS. In fact, I would say it is irresponsible and shock journalism to ask a question you already know the answer to, or that you know they can't answer, just for the shock value of putting someone on the spot.
Maybe he'll stay. And maybe the millions to him and more millions of NIL money will be too much to say no to. My guess is he'll be named the next UK coach before the end of the week. Though he is a bit of a putz so I may end up egg on my face.
That's just BS and sour grapes.

Yeah, that's an epic showdown of punchable faces... Hurley versus Creen. We ought to have a poll... who's face would you prefer to punch if only given one opportunity.

Thinking about this more, I'd probably prefer to punch Creen's face but I'd rather kick Hurley in the nuts.
Between the nuts and the face, you're really leaving no wiggle room for a tricked out Oompa Loompa in a bow tie.
20131231_krj_bw5_383.0.jpg

Come on. They have 6 titles in 25 years with three different coaches. No one thinks of them like Gonzaga or Creighton. They're arguably the best program in history especially when you consider they have more championships than all but UCLA and Kentucky and have done it in an era where it's much much harder to win. I don't really have that much respect for the programs that only needed to win 3 games to win a title or where some of the best teams were left out of the tournament for stupid reasons.

Come on. They have 6 titles in 25 years with three different coaches. No one thinks of them like Gonzaga or Creighton. They're arguably the best program in history especially when you consider they have more championships than all but UCLA and Kentucky and have done it in an era where it's much much harder to win. I don't really have that much respect for the programs that only needed to win 3 games to win a title or where some of the best teams were left out of the tournament for stupid reasons.
Yep we can all agree that Hurley and U Conn are d-bags but they are elite, 6 for 6 in title games the last 25 years. That’s insane

I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Luke Murray and Kimani Young are also quoted as saying they’ll be back.

An opportunity at a 3peat has got to be tempting.

If they were able to swoop in and get a Liam McNeeley to commit plus a portal big, they’d be right back at the top next year.

Last edited:
Yep we can all agree that Hurley and U Conn are d-bags but they are elite, 6 for 6 in title games the last 25 years. That’s insane
It's insane. Winning 1 NCAA tournament is incredible. There are 351 D1 basketball programs. About 100 of them have a legit belief that they can win a championship. Call me crazy, and we all can't stand UConn, but that's about as great a team dynasty as we'll ever see. Wish it wasn't them doing it, but I see how happy people I love back home are and it's hard to be quite as despondent as their 11 and 14 titles made me.

It's insane. Winning 1 NCAA tournament is incredible. There are 351 D1 basketball programs. About 100 of them have a legit belief that they can win a championship. Call me crazy, and we all can't stand UConn, but that's about as great a team dynasty as we'll ever see. Wish it wasn't them doing it, but I see how happy people I love back home are and it's hard to be quite as despondent as their 11 and 14 titles made me.
It's like I'm listening to Jimi Hendrix.
Only not hearing him.

I get a general sense for positive words about said team in the post and I can just filter it out.
7ca9aa8c25eea7e4f0b672dd83d31101.jpg

Supposedly they put a big offer on the table for him. Will be interesting to see what he does.

Well I am always wrong but why would he. UConn is a better program than UK right now and with less stress coaching. Hurley can stay at UConn, be worshipped by the fan base and keep winning. At Kentucky you might make a few more $ but a lot of crap comes with it. Let him stay at UConn and maybe one day we can give them a game.
I had heard the NBA could be in his future. But maybe UK is too much to turn down.

They’ve gotten really lucky during several of those championship runs. But even with 3-4 titles (and the last two were dominant), that’s still really impressive. Syracuse fans are mad about it. Can you imagine the entitled Kentucky fans, who haven’t won a title in 12 years with all these NBA stars and buckets of money?

They’ve gotten really lucky during several of those championship runs. But even with 3-4 titles (and the last two were dominant), that’s still really impressive. Syracuse fans are mad about it. Can you imagine the entitled Kentucky fans, who haven’t won a title in 12 years with all these NBA stars and buckets of money?
Lucky?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom