HW looked like deer in the headlights | Syracusefan.com

HW looked like deer in the headlights

Madbiker

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Reg Season Rcd
Was given a great opportunity in this game when Tyus got in foul trouble. Was beyond tentative, looked scared to do anything. Frank created an open shot for him and all he did was pass the ball back to Frank. When JB saw that, he pulled him. We really need him to play 10 minutes and contribute something positive. He just doesn't look ready.

Agreed. Doesn’t look ready. And wasn’t expected to be ready. We all heard that.

Friggin Geno! If he doesn’t roll his ankle, are we all set?

wait, so getting thrown into a heated ACC road game late in the second half after all of your possible developmental minutes were wasted on a JUCO crybaby is a great opportunity for a freshman?

edit: my mistake, the crybaby wasn't a juco, he was a grad transfer which is actually even worse.

Was given a great opportunity in this game when Tyus got in foul trouble. Was beyond tentative, looked scared to do anything. Frank created an open shot for him and all he did was pass the ball back to Frank.
Uhhhh last time he was open JB yanked him for taking an open look. He was fine and we made our run when he was out there.

Was given a great opportunity in this game when Tyus got in foul trouble. Was beyond tentative, looked scared to do anything. Frank created an open shot for him and all he did was pass the ball back to Frank. When JB saw that, he pulled him. We really need him to play 10 minutes and contribute something positive. He just doesn't look ready.

I can't blame HW for playing tight when he was lambasted for taking a wide open shot against St. Bona. JB is a coaching legend, but I think not allowing players to get comfortable is his biggest flaw.

He looked like a freshman guard who needs a couple years to develop. Fine, we expected nothing more. Battle should’ve played smarter and not put us in that position.

Yeah he got pulled immediately after getting sucked down into the paint and giving up a wide open three on a kick out. Battle was at the scorers table before the ball made it through the net.

The funny part about this is battle gave one up on the very next play.

JB is ridiculously stubborn with this.

Washington needed more time preseason.

He's walking on egg shells. He needed to be made a part of the rotation. I may have said that earlier this season. Maybe.

Now after getting ripped by JB for taking an open look early in the shot clock, he's afraid to do anything. Who can blame him? JB did an awful job with him.

JB's insistence that we can win the whole season with a two-guard rotation is classic stubborn JB. (Here come the JB defenders)

Defense is his biggest issue
And the real question is, even IF he’s in better position to close out, will it matter? He’s not playing because JB sees him as a defensive liability. He’s not uber-athletic, hasn’t picked up the zone overly quickly, isn’t crafty or quick enough to get steels and is too small to bother ACC shooters (Gillon). Offense is also underwhelming. I do like his poise. He’s a decent floor general for a freshman and on occasion he can find people. But his lack of athleticism, inability to score from outside and vulnerability on D are not going to earn him much time this year unless FH’s in foul trouble.

Last edited:
This is where missing Geno hurts the team. Washington isn't ready to contribute. It is what it is. He'll be Carey's backup next season. A four year player.

He's walking on egg shells. He needed to be made a part of the rotation. I may have said that earlier this season. Maybe.

Now after getting ripped by JB for taking an open look early in the shot clock, he's afraid to do anything. Who can blame him? JB did an awful job with him.

JB's insistence that we can win the whole season with a two-guard rotation is classic stubborn JB. (Here come the JB defenders)

Washington will be the guard version of Roberson when it comes to JB

The funny part about this is battle gave one up on the very next play.

JB is ridiculously stubborn with this.

Washington needed more time preseason.
Its the JB way... coach every game in the moment and never think about the future. Been doing it for 40 years now and probably won't change in the next 5.

Its the JB way... coach every game in the moment and never think about the future. Been doing it for 40 years now and probably won't change in the next 5.

Difference is he had more horses to run out there in the past.

If we don't get to the NCAA tournament again this year, does JB actually get those 5 years? I wonder.

This is where missing Geno hurts the team. Washington isn't ready to contribute. It is what it is. He'll be Carey's backup next season. A four year player.

Hughes will be Carey's backup. Hughes will be able to come in for 4 different starters because of the flexibility of Carey and Bazley along with Hughes.

Difference is he had more horses to run out there in the past.

If we don't get to the NCAA tournament again this year, does JB actually get those 5 years? I wonder.
Yes.

Washington will be the guard version of Roberson when it comes to JB
huh? so he will start a ton of games and then get screwed over for a grad transfer in his senior year?

Scared to shoot. Don’t blame him. If anyone besides the big 3 shoot the ball they get yanked.
Somehow Brisset is still allowed to chuck 3’s when he is not a shooter.
Our offense is a dumpster fire. Marek, Howard, and Matthew should all be able to shoot the ball without getting the evil stare and yank. It makes our O very one dimensional and easy to defend.

Washington passed up two shots. The 3, and when he drove around the defender that was closing in on that 3 he had passed up. He had created a nice pull up jumper from about 6-7 feet when he stopped driving(weakside defender was closing in) and dished it off. He may have been too nervous to take the 3, and too inexperienced to have taken the lil' jumper/floater. But I like that he saw he could drive around that initial guy coming hard to defend him at the three point line. Was just too bad no one cut down the lane for a dump-off when HW drove and drew someone else's defender.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom