I’ll be that guy | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I’ll be that guy

Havent read the thread but in blow out wins, most coaches let their starters play 1 series in a second half. People are only commenting on it becuase Tucker went down. Ohio st had their starters in late 3rd with a 32 point lead.

Yes. The game is 60 minutes. Unless Wagner's team literally had nobody else left, there's always something to be gained. I don't care what the score is.
People are hand-wringing about possible SU injuries, but SU beating up on those kids for another 30 minutes may have inflicted multiple injuries on them.
That move made me like Dino even more. Just a good guy.

The thing I hate about it is that national articles now say Shrader was replaced after three quarters. Pretty misleading. And in Tucker’s case one play in the second half.

I completely agree with HCDB’s plan to okay the starters in the first half. But halftime they should have been done.

Havent read the thread but in blow out wins, most coaches let their starters play 1 series in a second half. People are only commenting on it becuase Tucker went down. Ohio st had their starters in late 3rd with a 32 point lead.

The difference is Ohio State has 3 Tuckers on the bench we don't. Ohio State also doesn't already have 5 starters out for the year, most of which were irreplaceable. It made zero sense for him to be in at that point and almost ended in disaster.

The SEC routinely schedules a body bag game the week prior to rivalry week expressly for the purpose of working out any problems and resting players before rivalry. Can't get much deeper into a season than that.
Is there evidence that improves their performances in those games?

Tucker already had 22 carries at that point and had been nicked up. Shrader will likely get hurt at some point this season. Tucker is on that trajectory as well. Getting Wilson and some others some run helps prepare the team for when that inevitably occurs.

As for OSU, I have no insight into what they did, but they have depth that we don't, style points count when you are looking for a playoff birth, and they were playing a divisional opponent.

It's a really big deal. Because it goes to just dumb thinking by our Head Coach. Somewhere along the lines, a decision like that will hurt us badly. Dino says in one breathe we have lost 5 guys in 5 games. So you are worried about that? And you play your starters in a game you have a 48 pt lead? It makes zero sense.

100%, I like Dino but his decision making at times make zero sense. Anae and Beck and others were supposed to be brought in to help with this stuff but its worse then ever.

Because we are smarter now and realize that health is a significant predictor of success.

I would not schedule a bottom of the barrel FCS team in week 5. It feels like NFL teams scheduling preseason games in the middle of the season. No NFL coaches would play their stars in that silly hypothetical.
to be fair this game was originally scheduled for week 4 but got adjusted by espn to get the virginia game in last week

This game was the perfect opportunity to get our 2s and 3s some run which could be important as we head down the stretch.

The difference is Ohio State has 3 Tuckers on the bench we don't. Ohio State also doesn't already have 5 starters out for the year, most of which were irreplaceable. It made zero sense for him to be in at that point and almost ended in disaster.
Nah they dont have another Stroud. The RB Williams is a stud too. Those guys go down and they are not the same team. I get why guys freak out. We havent been good and we need all our good players but 1 series in the second half is standard and injuries can occur on any given play. He could have got hurt after we went up 30. You have to coach your team the way you feel is best.

Actually OSU was without Henderson and Smith-Njigba who are both All-Americans who are banged up. They were short a handful of starters … it was Rutgers so they were able to get away with it.

So did GS play the entire game or did the backup QB get any run at all?

Tucker already had 22 carries at that point and had been nicked up. Shrader will likely get hurt at some point this season. Tucker is on that trajectory as well. Getting Wilson and some others some run helps prepare the team for when that inevitably occurs.

As for OSU, I have no insight into what they did, but they have depth that we don't, style points count when you are looking for a playoff birth, and they were playing a divisional opponent.
Do yall watch other teams play? This is standard for every team. This is not unique to us. I just mentioned OSU because it was fresh in my mind. Most teams if not all have play starters at least 1 series in the second half no matter what the score is.

49-0 ! What sort of adjustments were done? Stay in bounds every run to burn even more clock? Bozo comment (not you, from Dino) about adjustments. TF you adjusting? Changing the snap count? Seeing if Schrader can throw left handed?
Changed the offensive line and interior blocking schemes if you rewatch.
Don’t agree with the decision, but understand.
1. Very common in these situations to review things at halftime and test them on the first possession of the second half.
2. This was a scrimmage and an opportunity to work on things in a less controlled setting than a practice.
3. Starters practice full contact every day, should we just bubble wrap them for the key games and scenarios?
4. The Wagner coach proposed shortening the game. Tough to say no when the white flag is being waved.
5. If nothing else, Dino is a player’s coach. The team wanted to get Sean the record. Should Babers have been the adult in the room? Absolutely, but given the other points noted and low risk I am not going to criticize.
We’re 5-0. Can’t be any better than that. That’s 5 down and one to go.

Do yall watch other teams play? This is standard for every team. This is not unique to us. I just mentioned OSU because it was fresh in my mind. Most teams if not all have play starters at least 1 series in the second half no matter what the score is.

Not really. I don't doubt this may be the standard. You know more about this stuff than I do.

Also, doesn't mean it isn't dumb under our unique circumstances.

I watched our game, yesterday. There was no worthwhile reason for our starters to be playing in the second half yesterday.

People are hand-wringing about possible SU injuries, but SU beating up on those kids for another 30 minutes may have inflicted multiple injuries on them.
That move made me like Dino even more. Just a good guy.
I get it. I do. But what was done is unprecedented for a reason.

If Wagner's coach came over and said my guys are beat up and we won't make it through the season if we have many more injuries, then that is a separate thing. But if it was "hey, we're losing by a lot, we can't win, can we save face and shorten" then that doesn't fly to me. There is still something to be gained by playing. Just my opinion.

Actually OSU was without Henderson and Smith-Njigba who are both All-Americans who are banged up. They were short a handful of starters … it was Rutgers so they were able to get away with it.

Banged up is a hell of a lot different then out for the year.

Not really.

Also, doesn't mean it isn't dumb under our unique circumstances.

I watched our game, yesterday. There was no worthwhile reason for our starters to be playing in the second half yesterday.
Please show me evidence that shows coaches not playing their starters first series after lopsided half time scores. I'll wait.

The SEC routinely schedules a body bag game the week prior to rivalry week expressly for the purpose of working out any problems and resting players before rivalry. Can't get much deeper into a season than that.
Absolutely love that approach. The other thing it does is give you the opportunity to balance your home and away dates. People complaining about attendance need to realize that 4 home games in 5 consecutive weeks does nothing to create a sense of urgency to attend every game. Having a guaranteed home game in late October/ early to mid November and an additional conference game on the road early in the season breaks things up a bit more.

Nah they dont have another Stroud. The RB Williams is a stud too. Those guys go down and they are not the same team. I get why guys freak out. We havent been good and we need all our good players but 1 series in the second half is standard and injuries can occur on any given play. He could have got hurt after we went up 30. You have to coach your team the way you feel is best.

All of that is true but Dino has to understand the situation and point of the season. If were up 30 on BC in the second half leave Tucker in all day i dont care. With SU on the way to being 5-0 for the first time in 35 years and one of the hardest schedules in the country coming up you take out your stud player up 49 against a glorified juco team.

I get the debate but it’s pretty common practice like you said to play the first series of the 2nd half. i don’t think it’s worth talking about Dino as if he just made some HUGE mistake or lapse of judgement. It’s pretty standard operating procedure

I get the debate but it’s pretty common practice like you said to play the first series of the 2nd half. i don’t think it’s worth talking about Dino as if he just made some HUGE mistake or lapse of judgement. It’s pretty standard operating procedure
Yup. Some just freak out because we havent had many seasons like this and they dont want it being derailed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom