I’ll be that guy | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

I’ll be that guy

You speaking as a fan. As a fan I wanted the starters out after the 1st. As a coach, you have to come out with them in the second half unless they are banged up. Its that simple and I dont expect people to understand the coaching perspective here. Dont ask the questions if you are not seeking to understand.
actually, I'm asking as a former player

Well I take offense, Money! (I keed, I keed)
Seriously though, what’s the difference between keeping starters in, up 49 vs Wagner, and doing the same in an exhibition game. Coaches take out their starters all the time in that scenario, and yes, i recognize that one counts, and the other doesn’t. But we still keep score, and they sit their starters to avoid…wait for it, injuries that could occur in an exhibition.
Short of fearing a monumental comeback by Wagner to make things interesting, you sit your starters and play the bench. The real issue here wasn’t “halftime adjustments”, etc. , it was getting Tucker the record. Questions have to be asked if it was worth the risk. I say no, others may differ. JMHO
Its the middle of the season. This is not game 1. I dont want my players thinking we are letting off the gas going into a bye week and against a ranked NC state team. Thats my take as a coach.

So wait I havent read or listened to post game interviews yet but setting a record was discussed?

Its the middle of the season. This is not game 1. I dont want my players thinking we are letting off the gas going into a bye week and against a ranked NC state team. Thats my take as a coach.

So wait I havent read or listened to post game interviews yet but setting a record was discussed?

Tucker needed 25 more yards to pass Joe Morris' single game rushing record.

Again, just my opinion, but Ohio State isn’t a great comparison. They were playing a defense who was giving them some fits (by Ohio State’s standards, only had 413 yards of total offense) so still value in the offense working on things.

We made this unprecedented decision to play 10 minute quarters.

I don’t have any problem playing Wagner, they wanted to and they get their payday.

And I don’t have a problem playing starters in the 2nd half of an FCS blowout.

This just felt weird to me. You have players talking about knowing they could break records. I’m not even really bothered by the injury part. This just wasn’t real competition where you work on things.

I guess I’m a Karen today, but I’ll let the water flow under this bridge. Bigger things on the horizon.

Spot on, there really is no justification especially when you look at time situation opponent and
Score. All this without even mentioning the 10 min quarters

Changed the offensive line and interior blocking schemes if you rewatch.
Don’t agree with the decision, but understand.
1. Very common in these situations to review things at halftime and test them on the first possession of the second half.
2. This was a scrimmage and an opportunity to work on things in a less controlled setting than a practice.
3. Starters practice full contact every day, should we just bubble wrap them for the key games and scenarios?
4. The Wagner coach proposed shortening the game. Tough to say no when the white flag is being waved.
5. If nothing else, Dino is a player’s coach. The team wanted to get Sean the record. Should Babers have been the adult in the room? Absolutely, but given the other points noted and low risk I am not going to criticize.
We’re 5-0. Can’t be any better than that. That’s 5 down and one to go.

Great post.

Again, just my opinion, but Ohio State isn’t a great comparison. They were playing a defense who was giving them some fits (by Ohio State’s standards, only had 413 yards of total offense) so still value in the offense working on things.
OSU happened last night. I was watching that game thats why it popped in my head. Please understand that there are many example of players starting the 1st series of the half. Rutgers did the same in their game with them and we all know they cant afford to lose any players. LOLLOLLOL

Tucker needed 25 more yards to pass Joe Morris' single game rushing record.
Gotcha, what did Dino say about that? Did he say that was the goal going into the second half?

I’m not too bothered that the starters were in as long as they were. What does irk me is that our head coach is excessively promoting individual accolades potentially at the expense of team success. Coach P I think used to say that player recognition would come if the team was successful.

Why does Tucker need to break these records? To make up for lost yardage in the first 5 games? Is it some sort of NiL deal gone awry? If I’m sitting behind Tucker I can’t say I’d be all happy about this. We’re 5-0 and maybe that’s keeping the peace for now. But there’s a stink about all this. This is about as bad as Buddy playing 40 minutes every night because even his misses give us a chance to get the rebound. Or a head coach chasing 1000 wins a second time.

I came into this game expecting to see CDRW run the real offense for at least a few drives. Maybe even see Morgan for a rep. I wanted to see more of Allen and Price. Maybe give Hatcher a tryout for more PT.

Coach P didn't coach in the NIL era.

I get a kick of posters supporting all sorts or earning power and empowerment for players then want these guys in bubble wrap.

To me it's just the inconsistency.

We agreed in an unprecedented manner to shorten the game. That's an open acknowledgement that something unusual is going on.

Then we expose our guys to record chase.

Not to be a jerk, but... we don't win enough consistently to go on side quests like that and potentially endanger the rest of the season in search of individual, short-term glory like that.

actually, I'm asking as a former player
Are you trying to find reasoning or understanding of how coaches think? Again, dont ask me questions if you are not interested in the answer.

You speaking as a fan. As a fan I wanted the starters out after the 1st. As a coach, you have to come out with them in the second half unless they are banged up. Its that simple and I dont expect people to understand the coaching perspective here. Dont ask the questions if you are not seeking to understand.

How do you juxtapose that with NFL preseason player participation?

You haven't necessarily explained the benefit of running out seasoned starters with lots of wear-and-tear on them in what would seem to be meaningless snaps. I think the reference to the psychology of "playing scared/timid" has some value, but it seems to be negated by the interceding bye week.

I get it at the HS level given the lack of time you have to actually prepare these kids. That isn't lacking at SU (though I am sure Dino, Anae, Meyer, Saban, etc. would all think it is).

Jacquez is a third string………before all our injuries on the DL which moved him up significantly higher

Leaving the starters in was a bad move by Dino, no defending it
Somebody had to play DL. We are down to only 2 deep on the depth chart at the position.

Are you trying to find reasoning or understanding of how coaches think? Again, dont ask me questions if you are not interested in the answer.
obviously, you don't know how Dino thinks so my question to be clear is as a coach why would you play starters up 49 to nothing against a very weak team that just asked to shorten the game vs playing your second and third team players so that they would get game experience and be rewarded for the work and effort they have put in?

How do you juxtapose that with NFL preseason player participation?

You haven't necessarily explained the benefit of running out seasoned starters with lots of wear-and-tear on them in what would seem to be meaningless snaps. I think the reference to the psychology of "playing scared/timid" has some value, but it seems to be negated by the interceding bye week.

I get it at the HS level given the lack of time you have to actually prepare these kids. That isn't lacking at SU (though I am sure Dino, Anae, Meyer, Saban, etc. would all think it is).
So now your talking about the NFL and exhibition games. Im talking week 5 blow out wins in college. Dont you watch college football? It doesnt matter what the score is. Do you see starters not playing at least one series in the second half?

I watch a ton of football, im struggling to recall a time a P5 team had its starters in up 50 onna 1AA. Rutty went to its backups in the 2nd quarter versus Wagner
not true they actually played guys all game thry just rotated

FWIW, Joe Morris set the record at Kansas (a 3-8 team). That was the year Syracuse played no home games because the Dome was being built. There were 2 shocking SU losses that year, 49-17 at Temple (the Vet) and 27-10 vs BC (at Schoellkopf Field, Cornell).

obviously, you don't know how Dino thinks so my question to be clear is as a coach why would you play starters up 49 to nothing against a very weak team that just asked to shorten the game vs playing your second and third team players so that they would get game experience and be rewarded for the work and effort they have put in?
The same reason you play starters when you are up 30 in the 1st quarter of a game you know you will win. If it was the late 3rd and 4th I would say they shouldnt have been in the game. I wouldnt say that during the first series of the half. The score didnt dictake what the staff was trying to accomplish for this game. How many actual offensive snaps did the unit have prior to that last series?

Edit Cuse had 37 total plays prior to that series.

Last edited:
If the argument for keeping the starters in is so that the players don't think that the team is taking their foot off the gas going into a bye week against NC State ... how is that consistent with the coaching patterns of the first half? We had the ball and three timeouts with plenty of time left to score before halftime. HCDB elected to not use anytime outs or even try to score. We had an opportunity to work a two minute offense yet declined to do so. This seems silly incongruent with the premise that we don't want to take our foot off the gas.

The argument is exactly what Dino said it was. They spent the week working on the run game. They rotated lineman and used some different blocking schemes in the first half. They reviewed the results at halftime and wanted to test things out the first drive in the second half. Didn’t matter if they were playing 15 minute quarters, 10 minute quarters or three hour quarters.

Personally I disagreed with the decision but clearly understand the rationale. And I am too busy celebrating 5-0 to subject myself to angst over a decision I disagreed with.

If the argument for keeping the starters in is so that the players don't think that the team is taking their foot off the gas going into a bye week against NC State ... how is that consistent with the coaching patterns of the first half? We had the ball and three timeouts with plenty of time left to score before halftime. HCDB elected to not use anytime outs or even try to score. We had an opportunity to work a two minute offense yet declined to do so. This seems silly incongruent with the premise that we don't want to take our foot off the gas.
When every coach decides to take their foot off the gas depends on the situation and that specific teams physique

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom