I’ll be that guy | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

I’ll be that guy

I’m not too bothered that the starters were in as long as they were. What does irk me is that our head coach is excessively promoting individual accolades potentially at the expense of team success. Coach P I think used to say that player recognition would come if the team was successful.

Why does Tucker need to break these records? To make up for lost yardage in the first 5 games? Is it some sort of NiL deal gone awry? If I’m sitting behind Tucker I can’t say I’d be all happy about this. We’re 5-0 and maybe that’s keeping the peace for now. But there’s a stink about all this. This is about as bad as Buddy playing 40 minutes every night because even his misses give us a chance to get the rebound. Or a head coach chasing 1000 wins a second time.

I came into this game expecting to see CDRW run the real offense for at least a few drives. Maybe even see Morgan for a rep. I wanted to see more of Allen and Price. Maybe give Hatcher a tryout for more PT.

I get it. I do. But what was done is unprecedented for a reason.

If Wagner's coach came over and said my guys are beat up and we won't make it through the season if we have many more injuries, then that is a separate thing. But if it was "hey, we're losing by a lot, we can't win, can we save face and shorten" then that doesn't fly to me. There is still something to be gained by playing. Just my opinion.
Agreed. I think I may have been the hardass in that scenario. “Sorry, Wagner, but the check you will cash is for a 60 minute football game, the people in those seats paid for a 60 minute football game and we’re going to give them a 60 minute football game.”
If that gives them some bulletin board fodder that means we only beat them by 49 instead of 59 next time, so be it.

That being said I didn’t hate getting out of there and at a restaurant at an earlier hour….

It's unprecedented for Syracuse, but it's been done before in this game and I've heard of it a few other times.

“Other people do it” and “it has always been done this way” are not great justifications for behavior.
No, but it is empirical evidence that it is an accepted and reasonable approach. Posters in this thread want the head of a 5-0 coach for it.
Can certainly debate but this is not as egregious as some are making it out to be

The difference is Ohio State has 3 Tuckers on the bench we don't. Ohio State also doesn't already have 5 starters out for the year, most of which were irreplaceable. It made zero sense for him to be in at that point and almost ended in disaster.
the issue isnt depth the issue is we dont play next week and they like starters to stay in the routine of coming back out after the half and stretching and playing...

Please show me evidence that shows coaches not playing their starters first series after lopsided half time scores. I'll wait.
No offense money, because you're one of my favorites, but this is like my mom asking me "Well if everyone jumped off the roof, would you do it also?" when I tried to justify stuff by saying all my friends were doing it.

Changed the offensive line and interior blocking schemes if you rewatch.
Don’t agree with the decision, but understand.
1. Very common in these situations to review things at halftime and test them on the first possession of the second half.
2. This was a scrimmage and an opportunity to work on things in a less controlled setting than a practice.
3. Starters practice full contact every day, should we just bubble wrap them for the key games and scenarios?
4. The Wagner coach proposed shortening the game. Tough to say no when the white flag is being waved.
5. If nothing else, Dino is a player’s coach. The team wanted to get Sean the record. Should Babers have been the adult in the room? Absolutely, but given the other points noted and low risk I am not going to criticize.
We’re 5-0. Can’t be any better than that. That’s 5 down and one to go.
tucker also hates coming out

Ok I will be that guy. Sounds like we have a bunch of Karen's on this board. Sometimes people like to bitch for bitchings sake. Dino was honorable for shortening the game. Dino got the backups in. Other teams would have ran the score up way worse. Other staffs as Money noted do what Dino did. The team is 5/0 with a bye week. Tucker is not out for the season. People are acting like the entire starting offense went down with an injury. I will say this much, Dino, Anae, White etc forget more about football than people on this board know about the sport. So how about people chillax on calling Dino ignorant and dumb and enjoy the start of the season.

All of that is true but Dino has to understand the situation and point of the season. If were up 30 on BC in the second half leave Tucker in all day i dont care. With SU on the way to being 5-0 for the first time in 35 years and one of the hardest schedules in the country coming up you take out your stud player up 49 against a glorified juco team.
You dont think the coaches on that staff has tnough experience to understand the situation? You dont think they had players go down in meaningless games before? You cant coach hoping your players dont get injured. Injuries can happen on any given play. Again, you are worried about the season outcome. I am too. You have to understand if you let up in any game it can effect the whole team. What kind of mentality you want the team to have going into that tough stretch? Each team is different. Some teams handle it well and some dont.

My current team is 5-0 and we play a team next Friday that have lost by at least 40 each game. We are not going to sit starters at half. Content and safe can become contagious. It can have a negative effect on the team. We have to come out the half playing the starters. After 1 or 2 series we will start taking them out and getting our 2's and 3's live reps.

the issue isnt depth the issue is we dont play next week and they like starters to stay in the routine of coming back out after the half and stretching and playing...

Come on, so if the starters dont play the second half up 49 its going to disrupt them in weeks agaisnt NC state?? You cant possibly believe that.

You dont think the coaches on that staff has tnough experience to understand the situation? You dont think they had players go down in meaningless games before? You cant coach hoping your players dont get injured. Injuries can happen on any given play. Again, you are worried about the season outcome. I am too. You have to understand if you let up in any game it can effect the whole team. What kind of mentality you want the team to have going into that tough stretch? Each team is different. Some teams handle it well and some dont.

My current team is 5-0 and we play a team next Friday that have lost by at least 40 each game. We are not going to sit starters at half. Content and safe can become contagious. It can have a negative effect on the team. We have to come out the half playing the starters. After 1 or 2 series we will start taking them out and getting our 2's and 3's live reps.

Based on Dinos track record of clock and game management and his record to date no im not sure he does at all

Some are not getting the point. I’m a big fan of HCDB but he’s had numerous examples of questionable decision making in his time here. Needless to say, i personally get a little nervous with some of choices, & it’s not only based on hindsight.
To suggest that “well, it worked out” is a reasonable explanation is to subscribe to a ends-justifying-means mentality.
There was no justifiable reason for Tucker to be out there, it was risky and almost cost us…big time. JMHO

Im sorry I get your points but your acting like were complaining Dino kept the starters in up 20 on Lville in the second half. Team was up 49-0 on a 1AA team that last won a game 3 years ago. I fail to see how taking some of the cant lose studs out at half is "letting up". Again Wagner and up 49-0. Taking Shrader and Tucker out early would have zero absolute zero effect in NC state in 2 weeks

Im sorry I get your points but your acting like were complaining Dino kept the starters in up 20 on Lville in the second half. Team was up 49-0 on a 1AA team that last won a game 3 years ago. I fail to see how taking some of the cant lose studs out at half is "letting up". Again Wagner and up 49-0. Taking Shrader and Tucker out early would have zero absolute zero effect in NC state in 2 weeks
I’m not acting like nothing. What evidence do you have that shows a trend of coaches sitting starters before half time?

I think most people are also ignoring that almost every coach in the country would have put the starters back out after the half for one more drive or even more

check out
mich-uconn 38-0 at the half
ala-utah st 41-0 at the half..

starters stayed in..
It happens everywhere. That is football. Most people here haven’t played or coached it. You don’t play to get third stringers reps ever. That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

Whatever, they wanted to get Tucker back on track by getting him a record. Can't we all understand that? Was it a risk, of course, but the kids wanted it. It was right there, once he had the scare, they got it straightened out. No big deal, in my opinion.
I could understand going for a record if it was against a legitimate team.

But how proud could one be if he got the record against a team who gets blown out by every team they play, and has lost 24 straight?

That would be nothing to be proud of. It would be like beating up the kid in the neighborhood who was in a wheelchair, and bragging about it.

Hopefully this is the first and last time Dino will do this. He is normally a class act.

Please, Dino, never again.

No offense money, because you're one of my favorites, but this is like my mom asking me "Well if everyone jumped off the roof, would you do it also?" when I tried to justify stuff by saying all my friends were doing it.
No offense taken. I don’t want people always agreeing with me so don’t apologize. I know my lense is different from yours. You feel you know when it’s appropriate to keep starters in. That’s your thoughts. That’s fine but all the evidence shows that you should keep them in at least to start the half. Might as well have taken them out 1st quarter with that mentality. If you gonna coach like that your team will never be as good as you want. Injuries can happen on any play. Can’t coach to prevent injuries.

I’m not acting like nothing. What evidence do you have that shows a trend of coaches sitting starters before half time?
I think that you are a great poster and respect your opinion very much however i find it hard to believe that anything good comes of playing your starters up 49 to zip on a cream puff that has asked to shorten the game when taking into account the tough road ahead, the injuries already incurred by important players, the subs deserving a chance to play. What is the justification? Is it some old school football coach thing. I played college basketball for a hall of fame coach and his approach was very different.

What evidence do u have of P5 coaches playing all starters up 50 on 1AA teams?
You dont seem to watch a lot of football outside of SU. You should know the answer to this. I cant remember watching many games where the starters didnt start the second half despite the score.

You dont seem to watch a lot of football outside of SU. You should know the answer to this. I cant remember watching many games where the starters didnt start the second half despite the score.

I watch a ton of football, im struggling to recall a time a P5 team had its starters in up 50 onna 1AA. Rutty went to its backups in the 2nd quarter versus Wagner

No offense taken. I don’t want people always agreeing with me so don’t apologize. I know my lense is different from yours. You feel you know when it’s appropriate to keep starters in. That’s your thoughts. That’s fine but all the evidence shows that you should keep them in at least to start the half. Might as well have taken them out 1st quarter with that mentality. If you gonna coach like that your team will never be as good as you want. Injuries can happen on any play. Can’t coach to prevent injuries.
Well I take offense, Money! (I keed, I keed)
Seriously though, what’s the difference between keeping starters in, up 49 vs Wagner, and doing the same in an exhibition game. Coaches take out their starters all the time in that scenario, and yes, i recognize that one counts, and the other doesn’t. But we still keep score, and they sit their starters to avoid…wait for it, injuries that could occur in an exhibition.
Short of fearing a monumental comeback by Wagner to make things interesting, you sit your starters and play the bench. The real issue here wasn’t “halftime adjustments”, etc. , it was getting Tucker the record. Questions have to be asked if it was worth the risk. I say no, others may differ. JMHO

I think that you are a great poster and respect your opinion very much however i find it hard to believe that anything good comes of playing your starters up 49 to zip on a cream puff that has asked to shorten the game when taking into account the tough road ahead, the injuries already incurred by important players, the subs deserving a chance to play. What is the justification? Is it some old school football coach thing. I played college basketball for a hall of fame coach and his approach was very different.
You speaking as a fan. As a fan I wanted the starters out after the 1st. As a coach, you have to come out with them in the second half unless they are banged up. Its that simple and I dont expect people to understand the coaching perspective here. Dont ask the questions if you are not seeking to understand.

Havent read the thread but in blow out wins, most coaches let their starters play 1 series in a second half. People are only commenting on it becuase Tucker went down. Ohio st had their starters in late 3rd with a 32 point lead.

Again, just my opinion, but Ohio State isn’t a great comparison. They were playing a defense who was giving them some fits (by Ohio State’s standards, only had 413 yards of total offense) so still value in the offense working on things.

We made this unprecedented decision to play 10 minute quarters.

I don’t have any problem playing Wagner, they wanted to and they get their payday.

And I don’t have a problem playing starters in the 2nd half of an FCS blowout.

This just felt weird to me. You have players talking about knowing they could break records. I’m not even really bothered by the injury part. This just wasn’t real competition where you work on things.

I guess I’m a Karen today, but I’ll let the water flow under this bridge. Bigger things on the horizon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom