I’ll take it…but that was painful… | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I’ll take it…but that was painful…

And how do you think we are going to look down the stretch physically after NC State, Clemson and ND, all big physical teams? I hope to heck I’m wrong but it feels like we are fragile right now. Let’s see what the next 3 weeks do for us.
ND sucks, BC sucks, Other teams get banged up as well. I watch other games and see key players going down every week.

Lots not to like tonight, but I felt really confident on that final drive.

Virginia showed no ability all game long to do damage in the air. My biggest concern was making the FG. I thought UVA needed 4 minutes to get into FG range.

But I was still losing my sheet watching us snap the ball w/15 seconds left n the play clock.

Crowd felt like it was low 30s actual fannies.,..but it was plenty loud when needed.

There is no way Tucker is 100%. And the defense is just keying on him. It’s a combo that our OC needs to address. It’s like we’re running a Heisman campaign instead of an offense.

My biggest concern is the mounting injuries. I didn’t see what happened to Carter, but Lockett’s looked bad.

We need to get healthy or trade for a DT.
The OC knows that at the end of the day, this offense is going to be below average through the air. We might be ok with six wins and a bowl but they probably figure the only way to actually be good is to be great on the ground. Imagine how many bad passes they've seen practicing every day

This is accurate but he's banged up as well. He's not getting the edges the few times we try and has he always worn a vest under his pads? Feel like he's got a UBI and due to that he's playing rigid and a step slow. Granted him a step slower is still dangerous but something is off. Also his ball security has gotten sloppy, one wonders if it's hurting him to tuck the ball currently?

Hopefully he heals up in the next 3 weeks along with some other starters (GS). We shouldn't need the starters much vs Wagner and that bye week is a Good send before we hit the meat of our schedule. Get starters healed that can be, and get some back ups acclimated

He was slow on his cutbacks... especially cutting left and his initial burst was slower. First time to me it was obvious he is dinged up. Shrader as well- he wasn't launching on those runs.

We need to get healthy in a bad way. I think Purdue got their pound of flesh and UVA took their own. UVA is physical and that D is good. This was a rough short week

And how do you think we are going to look down the stretch physically after NC State, Clemson and ND, all big physical teams? I hope to heck I’m wrong but it feels like we are fragile right now. Let’s see what the next 3 weeks do for us.
Fragile? We are a team learning how to win. If you don’t think that’s an actual thing I don’t know what to tell you. I know I’m repeating it but we lost 4 games by 17 points, 3 games by 9 (Clemson, FSU, WF). Those were no cupcakes. For a program that hasn’t won in a while getting 2 straight wins on the last drive is tremendous for these kids and this program. Great experience for the stretch run. Just have to stay healthy

Fragile? We are a team learning how to win. If you don’t think that’s an actual thing I don’t know what to tell you. I know I’m repeating it but we lost 4 games by 17 points, 3 games by 9 (Clemson, FSU, WF). Those were no cupcakes. For a program that hasn’t won in a while getting 2 straight wins on the last drive is tremendous for these kids and this program. Great experience for the stretch run. Just have to stay healthy

UVA would be 4-0 like us if not for the coaching upheaval. That defense is stout forget the names on their schedule.

Last night was a perfect storm of a short week, our two key skill guys still banged up, a tired team overall that just struggled to execute much of anything on offense well and a continuously growing injury list. Thankfully Clark came back in. We need good news on that front over the next two weeks.

Louisville, Purdue and UVA already played and we are week 4. Still very possibly all 3 are bowl teams. Let's not schedule like that anymore please

6 wins? We will have 5 wins after next week then a bye. Who cares how we win. We just won an ACC game where we played terrible. Lots to clean up. UVA was used to seeing Anae’s in offense the last few years . They have a good defense plus they knew where to do.

Just imagine how you would have felt if we lost. We can’t chose how we win now. A win is a win, especially a conference one where we have a TON to clean. Up going into bye after Wagner. We couldn’t be positioned better for a stretch run. Clemson, NCST, ND, BC, FSU, WF and even PItt aren’t what they seemed before the season. At worst we win 3-4.
I remember hoping our teams didn't lose against "Bye". We should be okay with this team.

6 wins? We will have 5 wins after next week then a bye. Who cares how we win. We just won an ACC game where we played terrible. Lots to clean up. UVA was used to seeing Anae’s in offense the last few years . They have a good defense plus they knew where to do.

Just imagine how you would have felt if we lost. We can’t chose how we win now. A win is a win, especially a conference one where we have a TON to clean. Up going into bye after Wagner. We couldn’t be positioned better for a stretch run. Clemson, NCST, ND, BC, FSU, WF and even PItt aren’t what they seemed before the season. At worst we win 3-4.
I hope you’re right, but BC would seem to be the only one we’re favored in. Many of those games were away - all 3 of our games against teams with a pulse have been home so far.

Sorry, seen the promising season become us getting stomped every time the last month due to injuries and lack of depth too many times. 2011, 2017, even last year. I’m not taking anything for granted. Every game left after Wagner will be hard.

I think someone pointed it out in the game day thread, but Virginia’s D for the RPO was to play Tucker and the run for Shrader. Hopefully Anae and Beck put some wrinkles in to give Shrader an option to throw as the DB or OLB commits to stepping up and stopping the run.

Lots not to like tonight, but I felt really confident on that final drive.

Virginia showed no ability all game long to do damage in the air. My biggest concern was making the FG. I thought UVA needed 4 minutes to get into FG range.

But I was still losing my sheet watching us snap the ball w/15 seconds left n the play clock.

Crowd felt like it was low 30s actual fannies.,..but it was plenty loud when needed.

There is no way Tucker is 100%. And the defense is just keying on him. It’s a combo that our OC needs to address. It’s like we’re running a Heisman campaign instead of an offense.

My biggest concern is the mounting injuries. I didn’t see what happened to Carter, but Lockett’s looked bad.

We need to get healthy or trade for a DT.
They're not doing Tucker any favors with the run plays either. I know Dino has said in the past that dominating runs up the middle are what wins you games, but it ain't working right now. get him outside and let him beat the defense to the edge once in a while. We ran an option toward the end of the game that Shrader kept and got stuffed. He pitches that to Tucker, and it's a 10-15 yard gain. Also, Tucker was so wide open in the flat on several pass plays. On the interception that was overturned when he tried to force it to Gadsden over the middle, Tuck was uncovered coming out of the backfield and would have had a huge gain. I know that hindsight is 20/20 and plays are missed by all teams every game, but if Tucker is our #1 playmaker and the guy the offense runs through, you got to be more creative in how you get him the ball and not just 2 yards and a cloud of dust. I don't mean to sound like like I'm crapping on the team after a good win and moving to 4-0. I'm ecstatic. I'm sure Tucker is frustrated. I'm frustrated for him. When he gets going, look out. This team could be really special.

The play Shrader was sacked we snapped the ball with 20 on the play clock. It was a horrendous job by the coaches.
Double whammies. Snapped too early and lost 15 yards. Nice play there could have cost the game but schrader ran hard on the next play to atone

The OC knows that at the end of the day, this offense is going to be below average through the air. We might be ok with six wins and a bowl but they probably figure the only way to actually be good is to be great on the ground. Imagine how many bad passes they've seen practicing every day
I guess 73/110 (66.4%) for 986 yards, 8Td's and 1 Int is below average. Who would've known...thanks for the education. Or, maybe, you simply changed the definition of "below average" to fit your narrative. Kind of like changing the definitions of "vaccine" and "recession".

I guess 73/110 (66.4%) for 986 yards, 8Td's and 1 Int is below average. Who would've known...thanks for the education. Or, maybe, you simply changed the definition of "below average" to fit your narrative. Kind of like changing the definitions of "vaccine" and "recession".
He was lights out in weeks 1 and 2.

Guys, 6-6 would be worse than not making a bowl after a 5-0 start. I know it was an ugly loss but damn.

...and he wasn't bad last night, other than the ill advised sacks and the pick.
He was lights out on the first drive.

After that I’d say - so so, overall. Missing Tucker quite a few times and then both eating a sack on a free play and taking the 17 yard sack we’re pretty frustrating. Fortunately the next running play worked, but that sack could’ve been disastrous. Though, still don’t know why we were passing in the first place.

You had me until the last line. Politics is such an unneeded take on a sports board.

He was lights out on the first drive.

After that I’d say - so so, overall. Missing Tucker quite a few times and then both eating a sack on a free play and taking the 17 yard sack we’re pretty frustrating. Fortunately the next running play worked, but that sack could’ve been disastrous. Though, still don’t know why we were passing in the first place.

The sack on the free play drove me nuts. Those were Dungey's bread and butter.

All those teams with maybe the exception of BC are better than UVA and they dominated us in the trenches where it counts. Road gets way tougher from here.
Are all of those teams better than Purdue who we beat last week? We didn't play a good game last night. We have work to do. So do the teams we are about to face. The rest of this didn't come out the way I wanted. LOL

Last edited:
Are all of those teams better than Purdue who we beat last week? We didn't play a good game last night. We have work to do. So do the teams we are about to face. After Wagner, we aren't going win less unless we get inured who the caboose.
My first thrown Red High heel !

My narrative is that shrader is not a good passer and the best we got and by the end of the year you're going to look foolish

My narrative is that shrader is not a good passer and the best we got and by the end of the year you're going to look foolish
Count me in for the foolish club. Shrader has been pretty damn good with an underperforming Oline. Do you know what Armstrong did last year with a solid offensive line and look at him last night. Pass protection was good against Uconn and the Cards. Last night not so much.

Double whammies. Snapped too early and lost 15 yards. Nice play there could have cost the game but schrader ran hard on the next play to atone
I haven't minded the play calling this season... until that empty backfield pass play at the end of the game when Shrader was sacked for a big loss. You are in FG range. You want to burn the clock. The call almost puts you out of FG range. I know Anae is a risk taker and you don't win w/o taking risks - but really, if you leave them minimum clock and kick the almost sure thing FG, UVa is not likely to be able to win that game. Even if you are going to pass, at least line up with Tucker in the backfield so they have to defend the run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom