I’ll take it…but that was painful… | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I’ll take it…but that was painful…

Not saying this happened but Garrett didn't look the same running either last game and I wonder if part of the reason for the lack of running/uptick in sacks was maybe he was told to run less. In prior games as soon as a pocket started to go he would be off unless he was keyed on a receiver. He seemed hesitant in his scrambling against Virginia. Just spitballing. Maybe Virginia just had a good plan to stop him from scrambling but he didn't seem to run like prior games.

Not saying this happened but Garrett didn't look the same running either last game and I wonder if part of the reason for the lack of running/uptick in sacks was maybe he was told to run less. In prior games as soon as a pocket started to go he would be off unless he was keyed on a receiver. He seemed hesitant in his scrambling against Virginia. Just spitballing. Maybe Virginia just had a good plan to stop him from scrambling but he didn't seem to run like prior games.

The last two games both teams seemed to contain and collapse vs straight out pass rushing. I don't think he was told not to run, the D has done a good job of keeping a pocket while causing pressure. Teams will do that vs running QBs. It gives them less lanes to break out from. When Shrader has pulled the ball down he has had no where to run.

Noticing the same, he's really in between on plays where last year he would've been off to the races.

I’m not sure if I have seen this posted yet but the offensive false starts are atrocious. One of our guards jumped before the ball was snapped. He is next to the center for crying out loud. Watch the ball if you forget the snap count. Still a great win, however all of these silly mistakes need to be cleaned up before the gauntlet portion of our schedule begins. Teams like Clemson, NC State and Wake will take full advantage of us if they don’t iron them out. Go Cuse!
You absolutely don’t watch the ball as an OL. Easy way to screw up.

Guys, 6-6 would be worse than not making a bowl after a 5-0 start. I know it was an ugly loss but damn.
What kind of logic is this??? You're literally implying 6-6 is worse than 5-7.
giphy (4).gif

they probably figure the only way to actually be good is to be great on the ground.
running simple dives up the middle is not “trying to be great” - it’s lazy and stubborn. All they have to do is look at last year with the same players and O line coach to see what needs to change. So far they’ve shown zero willingness to start mixing in more creative run schemes.

Last edited:
ND looked pretty solid yesterday and their oline looked the part. People thinking that ND is a pushover should recalibrate. Their TE is going to give us problems as well.
They won’t be a pushover but keep in mind UNC defense is one of the worst in P5. That tight end is probably a high NFL pick. He will give everybody some concern.

You absolutely don’t watch the ball as an OL. Easy way to screw up.
If an offensive lineman is unsure of the snap count he can use peripheral vision to watch the movement of the ball. Obviously you will have a slower reaction time opposed to knowing the snap count, but will not be called for False Start. That is high school football 101.

They won’t be a pushover but keep in mind UNC defense is one of the worst in P5. That tight end is probably a high NFL pick. He will give everybody some concern.
Yep, agree but let's not also act like ND is an automatic check in the win column just because they didn't look great in the first few games. Sometimes you can get momentum from a weak team as ND did.

interesting that in the Sagarin computer ratings, we actually moved DOWN nine spots (42 > 51) after our win over Virginia...

The worry is that we cannot sustain Ws playing the way we have the last two weeks, especially on the road. We have a tough 6 game stretch coming up. And as the season goes on we will likely lose a few players to injury, it is part of the game. Once we get that 6th W, I think most people will relax and enjoy the ride. But this is SU we have seen too many collapses and missed Bowls to assume anything yet.
This is what I've been saying too. Grateful to be 4-0, likely 5-0. We ALL would have signed up for that in August in a heartbeat. That said this could be a grind to get to 6 wins and it's by no means a guarantee.

running simple dives up the middle is not “trying to be great” - it’s lazy and stubborn. All they have to do is look at last year with the same players and O line coach to see what needs to change. So far they’ve shown zero willingness to start mixing in more creative run schemes.
in this offense, that's where you run the ball when the numbers say so. you can't succeed in any offense where you don't have anyone who can block. there are so many years of this now where I just don't see any hope when the offensive line struggles so much with basic stuff

when the O keeps playing terrible against teams not named UConn and Wagner… well guess what, maybe the offense just is that terrible. Y’all acting like it’s a fluke.

Two weeks in a row God has been watching over this team. Metaphorically of course.
Well we haven’t played Wagner yet and we scored over 30 against Louisville and Purdue.

Well we haven’t played Wagner yet and we scored over 30 against Louisville and Purdue.
O looked good vs Louisville and UConn. The last 2 games facing tougher defenses… Anyone without blinders on could see the O struggled. Look past the numbers.

O looked good vs Louisville and UConn. The last 2 games facing tougher defenses… Anyone without blinders on could see the O struggled. Look past the numbers.
Huh, 21 pts in second half by O against Purdue , 28 with pic .

in this offense, that's where you run the ball when the numbers say so. you can't succeed in any offense where you don't have anyone who can block. there are so many years of this now where I just don't see any hope when the offensive line struggles so much with basic stuff
“This offense” is a hybrid between Dr Bobs and our running game from last season - and our OL is average enough to make things happen

feels like this post is an auto post from 2 years ago, is milly ai

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom