I’m calling bulldinky. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I’m calling bulldinky.

Watching the replay it’s 100% targeting. Shot right to the jaw with the crown of the helmet.

What pisses me off, though Is Dabo screaming at the officials like he’s their father. And then our guy on the other side line not a peep from him all day.

I also noticed on the play just before Shrader takes off to run there’s a receiver, streaking across the middle of the field wide open, arm up calling for the ball.

Kick catch interference, there was definitely no fair catch and the ball gets to the punt returner first then Clark’s hit, bang bang play. I don’t know if you have to let the guy catch the ball first but the hit came a split second after the ball hits the shoulder pad.

It's not hard to call when they lead with the helmet.
Every tackle leads with the helmet.

GS is a big reason he got hit in the head. That's why they didn't call it. I'm fine with them reserving ejections for plays where there was nothing the offensive player could do.

Watching the replay it’s 100% targeting. Shot right to the jaw with the crown of the helmet.

What pisses me off, though Is Dabo screaming at the officials like he’s their father. And then our guy on the other side line not a peep from him all day.

I also noticed on the play just before Shrader takes off to run there’s a receiver, streaking across the middle of the field wide open, arm up calling for the ball.
Yep he launches w the crown of his helmet from the side. If that’s not targeting I don’t know what is. A good hit I guess as Dabo said

Every tackle leads with the helmet.

GS is a big reason he got hit in the head. That's why they didn't call it. I'm fine with them reserving ejections for plays where there was nothing the offensive player could do.
Launching helmet/crown first is actually what targeting is. Of course the head is on top so it's obvious the helmet will be first but parsing it down and the face facing down IS targeting.

Launching helmet/crown first is actually what targeting is. Of course the head is on top so it's obvious the helmet will be first but parsing it down and the face facing down IS targeting.
Yup. He didn’t lead with his shoulder. He led with his head and made helmet contact. We get flagged for that every time. Clemson kept its defense on the field. They thought it was targeting too. They got a gift.

What do you want the defender to do here?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231001-082203.png
    Screenshot_20231001-082203.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
How do you hit someone low with your shoulder not facing down

We lost this game. Any accusations it was due to the refs or anything else is misplaced frustration.
Amen. Poor line play, receivers consistently forced OOB or simply unable to get separation, just poor play and play calling all around. This loss was on the team, not the refs. Dabo outcoached Dino and the Tigers, as usual, outplayed the Orange. We're close but just not top tier talent.

Do you have a better angle because I can't see the helmet buried in Shraders body?
Yeah, that is football. The shoulder is near the head. The hit was really violent because the ball carrier was all turned around and totally unaware.

He has his head to the side. Lots of guys tackle better without launching into the helmet.
A huge fast defensive lineman hustled and drilled a guy looking the wrong way.

I'm doing this quick and dirty but how is he supposed to catch him from behind and not have his helmet in Shrader's body

Shrader got smashed by a bigger faster guy he didn't see, that's all

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231001-083447.png
    Screenshot_20231001-083447.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Yeah, that is football. The shoulder is near the head. The hit was really violent because the ball carrier was all turned around and totally unaware.

I agree with you there, I just thought the helmet crown led more than it should have.

I suppose what adds to the frustration is that the refs changed it and it was a huge decision along with Dabo getting his desired call.

A huge fast defense lineman hustled and drilled a guy looking the wrong way.

I'm doing this quick and dirty but how is he supposed to catch him from behind and not have his helmet in Shrader's body

Shrader got smashed by a bigger faster guy he didn't see, that's all
I hear ya. But we see that get called as targeting in many games. It’s the inconsistent application of the same rules that drives me crazy.

These rules were established to stop the kind of hits that gets players injured, to stop players from lining up a player who is lost in the chaos that goes on during a football play. He could have just tackled him but instead lined him up for an egregious shot intended to cause injury.

I agree with you there, I just thought the helmet crown led more than it should have.

I suppose what adds to the frustration is that the refs changed it and it was a huge decision along with Dabo getting his desired call.
If the situation was reversed our guy gets tossed and Clemson keeps the ball, no question in my mind.

My only problem is if you switched the teams on all these plays, I’m pretty well convinced the calls go the other way (for Clemson) in every case, and that’s the problem

The refs aren’t chasing our QB 6 yards out of bounds looking to give him a chance to get bumped and fall down for a drive-saving penalty.

That’s nearly a “fact” and is the whole point, Clemson does plenty of their own woofing and chest-bumping…that’s not “undisciplined Syracuse”, that’s different officiating

They could have saved 3 Syracuse drives with PI and didnt

But they did save three Clemson drives.

Clear difference in my opinion (and I realize these are just my observations)

If you combine that video, and the knowledge from it that Shrader's head snapped forward on contact, with this picture...

View attachment 231796

It sure looks like Mascoll put his shoulder into Shrader's chest and his helmet into Shrader's shoulder, and Shrader's head snapped forward into Mascoll's helmet. He got a run at him at full speed, unfortunate the way Shrader got himself lined up like that. But that's about what's gonna happen when a defensive end gets a free run at a stationary quarterback who doesn't see him coming.
Please stop trying to analyze it it was targeting clear as day

Bouleware put the same kind of hit on Dungey a few years ago it appears that it is SOP for Clemson and Dabo. Target a QB who can make plays and possibly beat you, probably get a bounty. Yea, they're dirty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom