I am frustrated with Coach Boeheim but what is with this venom towards him | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I am frustrated with Coach Boeheim but what is with this venom towards him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. There’s a certain “model” of b-ball coach that I absolutely hate.

That toolbag from Bryant is it.

I’d never root for a clown like that under any circumstance. I don’t care what the uniform says on the front.
Why, because his name conjures up mafia stereotypes, or because he has greased back hair? Exactly what did he do during the game that was so egregious?

Allen Griffin taught man to man for 8 years (or whatever) at Dayton under Archie Miller when they consistently had one of the best defenses in the country for a mid major program. This isn’t about our staff.

The lack of development in general is on the staff as a whole.

Think if we go through proper succession planning like Duke did, it can keep top recruits in play and excited about the future being stable and give JB his chance of a last season of goodbyes. The issue is we are not keeping up with Kansas, Gonzaga or other top 20 teams with on court play or recruiting in general. Maybe I'm off but the benchmark should be top 20 teams 75% of the time. Don't want to be be overreactive if we have a poor season or two as both Duke and KY have in recent years. Prefer to have a plan in place or at least make it public

Huh? There’s about 1,000 posts here putting JB on blast.

And there should be way more this is going on 8 years now. There should be more national and local media outcry. Alumi should be speaking up. More public pressure being put on JW. Seems the majority people are here for JB and not Syracuse.

And there should be way more this is going on 8 years now. There should be more national and local media outcry. Alumi should be speaking up. More public pressure being put on JW. Seems the majority people are here for JB and not Syracuse.

Maybe there should be a public flogging. You don’t think there has been complaining longer than just this year? You ever read any social media the last several years? Ever listen to sports radio? We don’t know if alumni have spoke up.

What's the saying? You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain. Jim has nothing left to prove and built the brand but ever since he was "supposed" to retire, the regular season play has become incredibly mediocre. If he keeps coaching and missing the tournament at a brand name school (that he built) that prides itself on basketball success, he should 100% get all the crap he's getting.

Just some thoughts on all of this:

> I never thought JB was leaving unless a third probation or health (you can fold age into health, I guess - like I never expected him to be 90 and still coaching).

> I think what's been tough is that there has been a consistent downward trend for the program and it looks like it's continuing. I remember the days of the Greg Davis/James Thues recruiting class and then JB shook things up and we all know what happened after that. I don't see any of that now.

> Also, while there may be a super secret double probation plan, there isn't an external-facing plan for the future (this is after the two probations, the blown up plan with Hop and in the midst of the downward trend). Now, maybe there is an internal one that is ironclad, as JB said, but if you aren't winning, that unknown will consistently draw more and more pressure in the form of questions, articles, etc.

> People can say what they want, but I *still* believe JB is at least trying to write his own way out, regardless of what anyone is saying. I am sure I may be wrong, but there is nothing that has shown that JB isn't doing what he wants without regard for the program, after his time here.

Just some thoughts on all of this:

> I never thought JB was leaving unless a third probation or health (you can fold age into health, I guess - like I never expected him to be 90 and still coaching).

> I think what's been tough is that there has been a consistent downward trend for the program and it looks like it's continuing. I remember the days of the Greg Davis/James Thues recruiting class and then JB shook things up and we all know what happened after that. I don't see any of that now.

> Also, while there may be a super secret double probation plan, there isn't an external-facing plan for the future (this is after the two probations, the blown up plan with Hop and in the midst of the downward trend). Now, maybe there is an internal one that is ironclad, as JB said, but if you aren't winning, that unknown will consistently draw more and more pressure in the form of questions, articles, etc.

> People can say what they want, but I *still* believe JB is at least trying to write his own way out, regardless of what anyone is saying. I am sure I may be wrong, but there is nothing that has shown that JB isn't doing what he wants without regard for the program, after his time here.

He isn't leaving until he passes Coach K. At our current win rate that means 6 more years.

I think we are being soft on him as he is all most of us have known. If you look at his last 8 year he would have been fired already if we were serious about maintaining our national basketball brand.

The last 8 years summary and with his 9th year ongoing...

Overall Record - 158 - 114 - 72% Winning Percentage
ACC Record - 74 - 74 - 50% Winning Percentage
Tournament Apperances - 8 years 4 apperances - 50% of the time (drop below 50% after this year ?)
In that span he had his 2nd round of sanctions and was suspended by the NCAA

That just isn't good enough by any HIGH MAJOR program and shouldn't be GOOD ENOUGH for Syracuse. There are no real signs that JB is capable of recruiting at a high enough level to turn this around. It is way past time to move on. At this point the people defending him are the people holding onto the past.
An overall record of 158-114 isn't a wining percentage of 72%. It is a 58% winning percentage and highlights a need for change even more.

Jim Boeheim helped build and then took over a pretty healthy program that had been to the final 4 just two seasons beforehand.
Over a remarkable almost 40 years he built it into a perennial national power.

Now...he's let it sink into mediocrity (or worse).
There are now students and recent alumni who have never seen a great SU team.
A tradition of success and attachment to SU basketball is gone.

Even his game coaching has become highly questionable.
He refuses to come out of his 2-3 zone even when it's being shredded when the worst result would be more shredding.
The Orange seem to have no final possession plays (unless that includes final possession turnovers).

The Orange aren't even in the discussion of top teams any more.
Their plummeting reputation may be exemplified by the fact they did not land a single recruit this year.
Not one.

In short, the coach -sadly- has become like an aging great boxer.
Sticking around too log and ending their careers with a string of losses.

Who knows if his current collection of talent can be molded into a good team?
Some coaches could do it.
It seems doubtful this one can.

After what we've seen so far this season, it finally adds up to a feeling that it seems time for him to be nudged out without making it seem as if he's being nudged out.

I think we are being soft on him as he is all most of us have known. If you look at his last 8 year he would have been fired already if we were serious about maintaining our national basketball brand.

The last 8 years summary and with his 9th year ongoing...

Overall Record - 158 - 114 - 58% Winning Percentage
ACC Record - 74 - 74 - 50% Winning Percentage
Tournament Apperances - 8 years 4 apperances - 50% of the time (drop below 50% after this year ?)
In that span he had his 2nd round of sanctions and was suspended by the NCAA

That just isn't good enough by any HIGH MAJOR program and shouldn't be GOOD ENOUGH for Syracuse. There are no real signs that JB is capable of recruiting at a high enough level to turn this around. It is way past time to move on. At this point the people defending him are the people holding onto the past.
The stat that blows my mind is that we have never won more than 1 game in the ACCT. One is the maximum, that is absurdly terrible.

Last edited:
Jim Boeheim helped build and then took over a pretty healthy program that had been to the final 4 just two seasons beforehand.
Over a remarkable almost 40 years he built it into a perennial national power.

Now...he's let it sink into mediocrity (or worse).
There are now students and recent alumni who have never seen a great SU team.
A tradition of success and attachment to SU basketball is gone.

Even his game coaching has become highly questionable.
He refuses to come out of his 2-3 zone even when it's being shredded when the worst result would be more shredding.
The Orange seem to have no final possession plays (unless that includes final possession turnovers).

The Orange aren't even in the discussion of top teams any more.
Their plummeting reputation may be exemplified by the fact they did not land a single recruit this year.
Not one.

In short, the coach -sadly- has become like an aging great boxer.
Sticking around too log and ending their careers with a string of losses.

Who knows if his current collection of talent can be molded into a good team?
Some coaches could do it.
It seems doubtful this one can.

After what we've seen so far this season, it finally adds up to a feeling that it seems time for him to be nudged out without making it seem as if he's being nudged out.
Is that possible? Wasn’t a plan announced last year? Where is it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors