I am frustrated with Coach Boeheim but what is with this venom towards him | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I am frustrated with Coach Boeheim but what is with this venom towards him

Status
Not open for further replies.
ugh, DW, I dont know, yeah his antics are annoying but if he won, we all know we put up with the antics

its similar to JB, you can be rude to the local media when you win 25 games a year, when you win 15 your a jerk
Nope. There’s a certain “model” of b-ball coach that I absolutely hate.

That toolbag from Bryant is it.

I’d never root for a clown like that under any circumstance. I don’t care what the uniform says on the front.

he chose his ego over grace and has allowed his quality of work to fall to a point where it’s completely reasonable for any cuse fan to become resentful.
I so completely agree, that is why I can root for dino and simply have such a hard time rooting for JB. I honestly feel he is a character destroyer, he treats people like dogs, young people no less. It is all about power for him. He is never wrong and if you defy him you are done.

I hear you, I just don't want to fold the cards on the young team yet. Joe and Symir were no help today and actually hurt us. Jesse had a couple of bad fouls called on him. He needs to stay in the game when we have NO backup. We need to play Justin Taylor at the 2. Let Joe back up the guards since Sy doesn't seem to want to do it. I still feel some things are starting to develop. Bell looked good at the foul lane on offense. Taylor can shoot and anyone can play better defense than Joe. If we continue to stumble and fumble, then I will crossover to make a change. But at least get a few more games under our belt before giving up.
Sy has been really disappointing. He is completely to blame for allowing that kid to score on the last play. He just backed up the whole way. You have to funnel the player away from the middle of the court and keep him out of the paint. Instead he let him go right down the middle. And the frustrating thing is that Sy is our best guard defender and should have been able to put enough ball pressure on the kid to stop him from getting such a high percentage shot. Ugh. Terrible defense. Also if Jesse or Hima is in the game, that shot likely gets swatted.

Last edited:
Well, since you asked, not that I posted venom, in no particular order:

Off and on but regularly, over the years, he has behaved very poorly as the face of the SU basketball program
He was coach during two probations
He reneged on the agreement that he would retire in 2018
Last season
He has repeatedly lied about retiring and a retirement plan
His behavior to local media, especially student reporters
His treatment of certain players over the years
He has become a loser

Of course, there are many good aspects of JB but you didn't ask about them.
Thank you, I was thinking same when reading posts about what a jerk Grasso is. There are many examples of JB's bad behavior to players, media, etc.

On a positive not. VT was 5-5 last year and came back to win the ACC Tournament. Despite losing today, Bell and Taylor took huge steps and Jesse put up good numbers. If we can get everyone on the same page and accept their roles, we could be good by the end of the year.
There are some glimmers on this team but not the right pieces in place now to be good. How is this team going to win in the ACC?

Under no circumstances can there be another year of this even if we have an acceptable ACC run.

It didn’t have to be this way JB has simply done what he feels like with no regard for the program the last few years.

I think if we off the record let it be known he’s done a lot of coaches will want the job and feel like they have topped out at their current schools. We can get someone good and win next year there won’t be an extended rebuild u less we let him pick the coach.

My feelings toward JB have changed because I don't believe we're getting his best anymore, and he doesn't have the energy to change that.

Somewhere along the way he stopped working toward trying to win championships and got content with thinking excellence meant being a tourney team and rolling the dice on making noise.

I don't know if he stopped believing once we got in the ACC, or after Hop and his recruiting prowess left, but somewhere along the way that switch flipped in his mind and it's been a gradual decline since.

Reframing excellence excused so much. He didn't have to have good offense if he could have good defense. He didn't have to outwork other HCs on the recruiting trail. He didn't have to build a bench.

So over the years he found ways to make it ok to work less hard, which I think realistically matched the energy level he had to offer because father time remains undefeated. To the point where now the program is simply underperforming with no legitimate pathway or plan to improve.

In the world of human resources when you're dealing with an underperforming employee managers are often asked if they think the reason why the employee is underperforming is due to a lack of skill, or a lack of will. The approaches to solving those issues are very different. A lack of skill can sometimes be salvaged with investments in training and up-skilling. A lack of will often requires a change in the staffing of the position.

So I submit to the board, when it comes to Jim Boeheim, he of over 1,000 wins, a National Championship, Hall of Fame credentials, and Olympic basketball coaching experience, are our under performance issues related to a lack of skill? Or are they related to a lack of will?

If there's any venom, the answer to that question explains it.

My feelings toward JB have changed because I don't believe we're getting his best anymore, and he doesn't have the energy to change that.

Somewhere along the way he stopped working toward trying to win championships and got content with thinking excellence meant being a tourney team and rolling the dice on making noise.

I don't know if he stopped believing once we got in the ACC, or after Hop and his recruiting prowess left, but somewhere along the way that switch flipped in his mind and it's been a gradual decline since.

Reframing excellence excused so much. He didn't have to have good offense if he could have good defense. He didn't have to outwork other HCs on the recruiting trail. He didn't have to build a bench.

So over the years he found ways to make it ok to work less hard, which I think realistically matched the energy level he had to offer because father time remains undefeated. To the point where now the program is simply underperforming with no legitimate pathway or plan to improve.

In the world of human resources when you're dealing with an underperforming employee managers are often asked if they think the reason why the employee is underperforming is due to a lack of skill, or a lack of will. The approaches to solving those issues are very different. A lack of skill can sometimes be salvaged with investments in training and up-skilling. A lack of will often requires a change in the staffing of the position.

So I submit to the board, when it comes to Jim Boeheim, he of over 1,000 wins, a National Championship, Hall of Fame credentials, and Olympic basketball coaching experience, are our under performance issues related to a lack of skill? Or are they related to a lack of will?

Hop leaving probably had the largest impact on the decline.

Or, is this a product of JB's entrenched belief - the natural and predictable result of 40+ years of nearly unprecedented success - that he can continue to win doing things HIS way and playing only the players HE thinks give him the best chance to win? And doing so despite (or maybe in spite of) what anyone else thinks or the performance on the court?

Is this skill or will? I don't know. But, to me, the answer has something to do with JB's personality and mindset. Many here have mistakenly referred to his behavior as "ego" driven or as a sense of entitlement. I think the opposite is closer to the truth. All JB has ever known (excluding the recent decline and 1 losing season) is winning. His life has been totally defined by being the HC at SU, his success, AND, more importantly, by constantly proving (to himself mostly) his worth as a coach despite all that success. Maybe all the losing is triggering the underlying insecurity that has always been a part of his personality.

Accepting the inevitable, that his time as a HC is ending, is going to be an extremely difficult challenge for him.

There is some venom and there is also some very fair and objective criticism.

Besides the fact he is under contract I believe there are power player$ behind the scenes whose influen$e is preventing a move with the coach.

He’s playing chicken with an administration that everyone knows won’t fire him. But had he been anyone else he would have lost his job

Well, since you asked, not that I posted venom, in no particular order:

Off and on but regularly, over the years, he has behaved very poorly as the face of the SU basketball program
He was coach during two probations
He reneged on the agreement that he would retire in 2018
Last season
He has repeatedly lied about retiring and a retirement plan
His behavior to local media, especially student reporters
His treatment of certain players over the years
He has become a loser

Of course, there are many good aspects of JB but you didn't ask about them.
Spot on!

Removing any feelings (positive or negative) one may have about JB as a person or how he carries himself, his performance from a recruiting and more importantly a winning standpoint doesn’t justify him remaining the coach of this program.

Spot on.
At my job we call it a question of want or will. IOW- whether you want to do a thing is beside the point. Will you do it or….?
In JB’s case will he retire gracefully now, whether he wants to or not? If that answer is no, then game over…or it should be.

people who live in snark houses shouldn't throw snark. wait that makes no sense. but you get my drift.

I understand this take but outside of that Bees guy and SWC everyone is hammering JB.
It comes off as personal.
JB can be kind of a jerk so that probably has something to do with it.
I find myself more frustrated the AD let JB comeback after last year. This year could have been a take the lumps season for the next HC.
I assume GMac is the next HC since JB is letting these kids develop under him.
Maybe some of the posters actually know him/been around him before? I know he’s very charitable and is a good family man but he’s rude as both on the court and off

To all of the “ADJW shoulda fired JB at the end of last season” folks -

Get a F’n grip.

There was a zero point zero chance HOF coach JB was getting fired after his first losing season in 40-something years.

That literally isn’t a thing that ever could possibly have happened.

Coach K had a losing season. (2 actually, in the early 80’s. And was 13-11 in 20-21)
Old Cryin Roy had a losing season. (19-20)
Cal had a losing season. (In 20-21)

You don’t fire a HOF coach after his first losing season ever.

That said - I’d be shocked if ADJW didn’t have a long, face to face chat with JB at some point in the near future, telling him he will be happy to accept his retirement announcement at this season’s end.

There are some glimmers on this team but not the right pieces in place now to be good. How is this team going to win in the ACC?
About that ACC. It’s UVA and a bunch of suck.

How did scouts rate Dereck Lively the number one player overall? The guy looks like he just started playing basketball.

Sy has been really disappointing. He is completely to blame for allowing that kid to score on the last play. He just backed up the whole way. You have to funnel the player away from the middle of the court and keep him out of the paint. Instead he let him go right down the middle. And the frustrating thing is that Sy is our best guard defender and should have been able to put enough ball pressure on the kid to stop him from getting such a high percentage shot. Ugh. Terrible defense. Also if Jesse or Hima is in the game, that shot likely gets swatted.
And do you think Sy would have allowed that when he arrived after being coached by a different staff? He was a much better defender when he arrived than he appears to be after being “coached” by this staff.

And do you think Sy would have allowed that when he arrived after being coached by a different staff? He was a much better defender when he arrived than he appears to be after being “coached” by this staff.
Allen Griffin taught man to man for 8 years (or whatever) at Dayton under Archie Miller when they consistently had one of the best defenses in the country for a mid major program. This isn’t about our staff.

I think we are being soft on him as he is all most of us have known. If you look at his last 8 year he would have been fired already if we were serious about maintaining our national basketball brand.

The last 8 years summary and with his 9th year ongoing...

Overall Record - 158 - 114 - 58% Winning Percentage
ACC Record - 74 - 74 - 50% Winning Percentage
Tournament Apperances - 8 years 4 apperances - 50% of the time (drop below 50% after this year ?)
In that span he had his 2nd round of sanctions and was suspended by the NCAA

That just isn't good enough by any HIGH MAJOR program and shouldn't be GOOD ENOUGH for Syracuse. There are no real signs that JB is capable of recruiting at a high enough level to turn this around. It is way past time to move on. At this point the people defending him are the people holding onto the past.

Last edited:
people who live in snark houses shouldn't throw snark. wait that makes no sense. but you get my drift.

Ha. There's that saying..."you can dish it out, but you can't take it." JB to a T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom