I believe Boeheim will speak to fans before game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I believe Boeheim will speak to fans before game

I believe that before the game starts tomorrow night, coach will use the Dome PA microphone to speak to the fans and offer his condolences to Wednesday night's victim. Just a gut feeling. I just think it would be a great way to help him heal and hopefully help everyone get their minds off the situation, somewhat, at least for two hours.
I don't get the need to heal. It's a tragedy for the victim's family, to be sure.
Coach did nothing wrong. He didn't set out to hurt anyone. He did nothing to impact negatively the Syracuse fan base, SU, or Syracuse the city.

You can bet that as well as Wildhack has handled things SU has not only reached out to the family of the deceased but potentially brought up something like a moment of silence. Above that, this is a private matter that has already been dissected ad nauseum and I am very confident JB won’t make any announcement to the crowd. I would even be a little surprised about a moment of silence but if it happens it would have the blessing of the family or not happen at all.

This is a personal matter for him and the other family. This does not need to be aired out to the dome crowd, nor should it. That would be ridiculousness. Statements were already issued and despite the fact that Boeheim did nothing wrong, civil suits are brought up all the time. He needs to say nothing further on this matter to the public.
You're probably right. I think the moment of silence
I don't get the need to heal. It's a tragedy for the victim's family, to be sure.
Coach did nothing wrong. He didn't set out to hurt anyone. He did nothing to impact negatively the Syracuse fan base, SU, or Syracuse the city.
True but from what I've heard he's very broken up about this. I don't think it would be a bad idea for him to address the fans directly over the PA address system. He's done it before. I see it both ways bit I honestly think it would be a good idea for him.

Jim is a stand up guy and leader. I expect him to handle the press conference.

If it was kept short and sweet, I think this could be very nice.

Something like... "Mr. Jimenez's family is now forever part of ours, and of Orange Nations. We will forever be connected by the tragic circumstances of Wednesday night. Can everyone please some together and give his family a round of applause to show our support as a community for them during this tragic time. We will get through this together, and the rest of our season is dedicated to Jorge's memory."
Fans will give a longer than normal standing ovation to show support no doubt, but any attempt to draw further attention to what is essentially a very private and personal crisis for jim and the victims family should be avoided out of sensitivity and common sense.

Some of the suggestions here are so odd. Connected by a tragedy?! I don’t view it like that at all
Yes that was way over the top. Unless he thinks they are going to dismantle 690 because of this and neighborhoods will be reunited.

I believe that before the game starts tomorrow night, coach will use the Dome PA microphone to speak to the fans and offer his condolences to Wednesday night's victim. Just a gut feeling. I just think it would be a great way to help him heal and hopefully help everyone get their minds off the situation, somewhat, at least for two hours.
That won't, and shouldn't happen.

I interpreted it as he would have Jorge's family out there with him and they would be ones on the receiving end of the applause.

Let’s say it was your father that hit been hit and killed.

What would you want to see done.?

Would you like you mother and her children to stand up in front of the Carrier Dome throng and be applauded?

For what exactly would the cheers be?

I think a little more dignified approach might be in order.

Would you like you mother and her children to stand up in front of the Carrier Dome.

It would be entirely up to them. For some people it would be awkward, for others it could be a very special moment.

The question was what would YOU want?

And when have you ever heard a crowd cheering for a dead person’s family?

Where is the dignity in that?

I would be fine with it. And I’ve been to sporting events where the families of fallen first responders on 9/11 and also Iraq/Afghanistan were honored and everyone gave them a thunderous applause and you could see they appreciated it. At no point did anyone think “this is so undignified.”

I would be fine with it. And I’ve been to sporting events where the families of fallen first responders on 9/11 and also Iraq/Afghanistan were honored and everyone gave them a thunderous applause and you could see they appreciated it. At no point did anyone think “this is so undignified.”
That’s different. Losing your life in the line of duty attempting to save other people’s lives is not even close to the same thing.

If my parent got accidentally struck by a driver the last thing I would want is to stand next to him while 30,000 strangers clap. I’d almosr feel insulted. They lost a family member, there is no connection with JB here

That’s different. Losing your life in the line of duty attempting to save other people’s lives is not even close to the same thing.

If my parent got accidentally struck by a driver the last thing I would want is to stand next to him while 30,000 strangers clap. I’d almosr feel insulted. They lost a family member, there is no connection with JB here

Exactly - that comparison was not Eric's best effort.

The PA announcer will say “we will have a moment of silence” before the anthem and then it’s over.

There are still investigations happening. Acknowledgement by the institution and then that’s it for the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom