I could get slammed for this, but... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I could get slammed for this, but...

I think in a few years I would really look into hiring Pitino as the next coach. Hear me out. By the time JB retires it would be atleast 4 yrs since the whole FBI stuff and Pitino could repair his name. It may come to fact that he wasn’t at fault. I know he isn’t the cleanest guy, but that guy will have the fire to stick it to the NCAA. He will want to prove himself. Hopefully he would coach 5 years and keep GMAC as a assistant. Would give him learning from two hall of famers with different styles. Then GMAC takes over. I don’t know maybe it’s crazy, but was thinking about it with my dad over lunch today.
May I assume it was a liquid lunch?

Ben Howland is at Miss State, he would be getable. I have already been lambasted for suggesting Jeff Jones, but I still think he is a high quality coach with ACC connections who could recruit bigly if he were a head coach in the ACC.

That’s fair for you to believe. I will agree to disagree and that’s all I have to say about that. Nothing we say to each other will change minds:)

I believe he's also a 5 star quality chef, based on the same level of evidence that you are relying on to form your belief that he is a good recruiter.

I think in a few years I would really look into hiring Pitino as the next coach. Hear me out. By the time JB retires it would be atleast 4 yrs since the whole FBI stuff and Pitino could repair his name. It may come to fact that he wasn’t at fault. I know he isn’t the cleanest guy, but that guy will have the fire to stick it to the NCAA. He will want to prove himself. Hopefully he would coach 5 years and keep GMAC as a assistant. Would give him learning from two hall of famers with different styles. Then GMAC takes over. I don’t know maybe it’s crazy, but was thinking about it with my dad over lunch today.

Swear to God I would love to have Pitino as our coach. He is a proven winner.

And most of the best Italian restaurants in Syracuse are gone now, so we don't have to worry about any table dancing.

I’ve never once seen a good answer to this question on here.

Indeed.

Even Griff has more coaching experience than GMac.

GMac is the low man on the totem pole in terms of experience, yet a non-trivial number of people think he’d be the logical choice as next HC.

(Which is really odd in light of how another non-trivial number of people think he’s a terrible recruiter, and the main reason we’re not landing any of the big fish we’ve been after recently.)

Nothing against any of those guys, but -
I’m sure ADJW will do a proper national coaching search, rather than just promote somebody on staff.

College basketball coaches have become less good at Xs and Os it’s become a sport of who can recruit elite talent and four year guys.
Our next HC if it’s a member on the current staff should be Red Autry.
He is the associate HC not GMac.

Autry is not the recruiter that Mike was, or that Troy Weaver was, or even that Rob Murphy was.
How many years has he been here now? I don't see the elite talent we used to get.

So, the OP wants a person who was fired for cause for NCAA violations to be hired by a school which has had its own problems with NCAA violations?

oooookay...

Seems to be working at places like Tennessee and Virginia Tech.

the key is finding the next 35 year old Pitino. That gives us 35 years until he gets busted for cheating and by that time I’ll be dead or crapping my pants to get revenge on my kids.

I would take a 40 or 45 year old Pitino - except for Richard.

He didn’t get an assistant job for nothing and he seems to be the main recruiter most of the time, give him more coaching duties and I would bet he develops more as time goes on

Thanks, Mrs. McNamara.

Gerry is working hard, but the product on the court, and the recruiting results don't even match up with somebody like Danny Hurley. And you want us to give him the keys?

I can't believe people take this seriously that Gerry should be our next coach. Mayor, maybe, but coach? Nah.

Swear to God I would love to have Pitino as our coach. He is a proven winner.

And most of the best Italian restaurants in Syracuse are gone now, so we don't have to worry about any table dancing.

Dancing?

It's too bad Wojo is a Dukie. He's doing a solid job at Marquette, he's relatively young, appears to be a decent recruiter and feisty to boot. Syracuse clearly is a destination job, but he'd leave us in a heartbeat for Duke once K retires. In any event, a guy like that is who I'd like see replace JB when he's done...someone will emerge in the next 3 years or so.

Actually...
I have become indifferent on GMac as I think he gets a lot of overboard criticism but he also has a large percentage of fanboys who can’t be objective towards his coaching career.
He got the job when he did because Fine was terminated.
That isn’t a question. I do think he was clearly in the pipes to take over an assistant spot when the next opening was due.
GMac as the next HC is just stupidity. His media personality is good as he is boring and I want my coach boring publicly but his recruiting is solid and not a Hop level.

If GMac got a MAAC job and got them to the postseason multiple years in a row he should be a candidate but giving him the job as an SU assistant without leaving will really be bad.

I have become indifferent on GMac as I think he gets a lot of overboard criticism but he also has a large percentage of fanboys who can’t be objective towards his coaching career.
That isn’t a question. I do think he was clearly in the pipes to take over an assistant spot when the next opening was due.
GMac as the next HC is just stupidity. His media personality is good as he is boring and I want my coach boring publicly but his recruiting is solid and not a Hop level.

If GMac got a MAAC job and got them to the postseason multiple years in a row he should be a candidate but giving him the job as an SU assistant without leaving will really be bad.

Ya, I'm not gonna jump in with the people who crush McNamara, I don't really care. But I would be pretty disappointed if he got a look as the next head coach, because that's probably a top 30 college basketball job and, well, McNamara's not one of the 30 most talented people in college basketball, regardless of his good qualities.

Same thing with his initial hiring. Whatever, it's not my call, but the kid had a thin resume and stepped into a very good job.

The literally worst decision GMAC could make would be taking the head coaching job at SU. It’s almost impossible for him to live up to expectations - and as a result, he’d end up diminishing his Syracuse legacy. Fortunately, there’s also 0.0% chance it’ll happen anyway.

Honestly I’d be more comfortable bringing back Gross to select the next head coach than many of the options posted here.

Yeah, GMac needs to go take some mid-major team and turn them into another Buffalo.

We need the Louisville game to get here ASAP in the worst way. People are posting like they’re on crack in every thread the past few days.

Agreed. Townies reign of terror needs to end.

I've been thinking about Erik Mussleman as an out of the box choice.

We need the Louisville game to get here ASAP in the worst way. People are posting like they’re on crack in every thread the past few days.

And you expect the Louisville game to make it better? I guess we can hope.

if he wasn't so old I would love to see pitino - a former JB assistant! - actually the first assistant JB hired @ Syracuse!! - as SU coach - the full-circle aspect of that would make a lot of sense...rick could say he was just biding his time until he could get the job he wanted all along...haha

Plus - i think pitino is the best coach in terms of bball acumen, x's and o's etc - currently/recently on the scene...if not the best...i don't think there's any better coach out there in terms of whats going on on the court - maybe popovich or someone like that...but he's not an option either....

whoever it is after JB - I want it to be a marquee coach - or the next pitino, stevens etc...

it would be cool if the celtics somehow imploded and brad stevens became available...or donovan @ OKC...or that guy from the Jazz quinn snyder...or some mastermind who isn't just a slick used car type like calipari or crean...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom