I did not expect Girard to be our most effective freshman | Syracusefan.com

I did not expect Girard to be our most effective freshman

Freshman can’t be expected to come right and be consistent unless they are top 25ish prospects.
Even then it takes those Kentucky freshman some time as they hit poor streaks.
We don’t get the Zion/top 3 nba pick Freshman. Tyler Ennis was the exception to me not the expectation.

I just hope the freshman develop as I worry about player development.

And this is not a knock against Joe, but the rest of the class has been truly underwhelming.

I had thought Guerrier and Goodine would bring more to the team.
Something to keep in mind when the next year’s class will right the ship.

At this point, our most effective Freshman is typically going to be whomever is most "ready" to play, or at least most capable of not making mistakes.

Everyone else just assumes a position on the bench after being handed a bit more than they're capable of early in the season. So, you either have a massive skillset right off the bat, or you're the least mistake prone.

Goodine and Guerrier are too shaky right now, Joe is the closest to being what he could be 4 years from now, so he wins the Frosh effectiveness test.

And this is not a knock against Joe, but the rest of the class has been truly underwhelming.

I'm still waiting to break out my Killer G's nickname for our frosh triumvirate. Hopefully it will happen.

Really not impressed with a couple things I've seen from Joe. He doesn't contest fast breaks, at all. Jumps out of the way. Doesn't attack the boards as much as he could.

I was expecting more true hard nosed play because he was a star qb. What I'm seeing is a guy who was the best player by far on his hs team, who saved most of his energy and effort for offense.

Really not impressed with a couple things I've seen from Joe. He doesn't contest fast breaks, at all. Jumps out of the way. Doesn't attack the boards as much as he could.

I was expecting more true hard nosed play because he was a star qb. What I'm seeing is a guy who was the best player by far on his hs team, who saved most of his energy and effort for offense.

I remember reading first hand reports from various posters from his high school games that his defensive effort wasn't exactly great so I'm not shocked by that.

Buddy and Girard being the only 2 contributors in the last 2 classes is the reason we are not good.

We need to give Buddy’s scholarship to a grad transfer not because of anything to do with Buddy but 2 straight classes underwhelming to such an extreme.

Asking Kadary and Woody to be the solution isn’t a good idea either. We need a couple vets. Not thrilled with taking a wait and see approach to Edwards and Ajok either. Center is the biggest hole on the team.

If we need a 6 foot PG to attack the boards we have bigger issues than JG3. He is bad on defense but quite frankly every player on this team is. He is not a 30 minute player yet but sadly that can be said for everyone but Hughes.

If we need a 6 foot PG to attack the boards we have bigger issues than JG3. He is bad on defense but quite frankly every player on this team is. He is not a 30 minute player yet but sadly that can be said for everyone but Hughes.
We need everyone to attack the boards.

Was anyone else completely surprised to see JB not pull Joe after he made those couple of mistakes to start the second half? Feels like those would have resulted in immediate hooks for most players that have ever worn orange. One was the NBA+ depth three, and I'm forgetting the other, but they both happened in the first couple minutes.

Was anyone else completely surprised to see JB not pull Joe after he made those couple of mistakes to start the second half? Feels like those would have resulted in immediate hooks for most players that have ever worn orange. One was the NBA+ depth three, and I'm forgetting the other, but they both happened in the first couple minutes.

I think he wants him taking those shots. He regularly took and made them in high school and he made one from about 30 in the first half. That’s the shots you get from him.

I think he wants him taking those shots. He regularly took and made them in high school and he made one from about 30 in the first half. That’s the shots you get from him.

could be. just felt odd in that it was early in the shot clock and he wasn't really open. felt like pressing a bit. and combined with his other miscue (can't freaking remember to save my life), felt like a quick sit down and relax moment.

At this point, our most effective Freshman is typically going to be whomever is most "ready" to play, or at least most capable of not making mistakes.

Everyone else just assumes a position on the bench after being handed a bit more than they're capable of early in the season. So, you either have a massive skillset right off the bat, or you're the least mistake prone.

Goodine and Guerrier are too shaky right now, Joe is the closest to being what he could be 4 years from now, so he wins the Frosh effectiveness test.
Agree. Goodine and Guerrier have to contribute to this years team somewhat. Get them in there and get them some game experience. Goodine should get at least 10 min a game. Guerrier 20 if he doesnt follow out. Guerrier has a hard time being on the floor with Sidibe though. To me, Sidibe should be fazed out asap. He is a bust. A combo of Guerrier and Edwards cant be worse than Sidibe.

Agree. Goodine and Guerrier have to contribute to this years team somewhat. Get them in there and get them some game experience. Goodine should get at least 10 min a game. Guerrier 20 if he doesnt follow out. Guerrier has a hard time being on the floor with Sidibe though. To me, Sidibe should be fazed out asap. He is a bust. A combo of Guerrier and Edwards cant be worse than Sidibe.

Guerrier is intriguing.

If you watch HS highlights, he and Carey both look pretty legitimate. Yet, they seem to be the two we REALLY can't reel in. Everyone else kinda just looks like what they were in HS. :)

Sidibe isn't a bust, he was the 190th ranked recruit, he wasn't supposed to be that good.

could be. just felt odd in that it was early in the shot clock and he wasn't really open. felt like pressing a bit. and combined with his other miscue (can't freaking remember to save my life), felt like a quick sit down and relax moment.

Yeah, I think they want girard to be aggressive offensively. They were forces but I think they're at the point where they need him to make plays and take shots. That may look brutal at times but it's where we are, i guess.

Couple of thoughts on this:

-- Guerrier has a little terrance roberts in his game offensively. That's not a compliment. Hope the game slows down for him and he stops landing on his back when he attacks the rim, ideally.

-- This is why I thought people were insane to want Brissett gone. Frustrating offensive player but a legit force on the boards and no reason he couldn't have put it together and had at least a solid offensive season. Brissett shot 39% from three in ACC play as a frosh and improved inside the arc as a soph from .366 to more like 45% -- not sure he was really that good from three but could maybe have settled in around 34-35% and gotten to somewhere around 50% inside the arc, which would have been huge if he was grabbing 8 rpg and hustling.

-- Like Edwards but clearly going to take some time. Never expected much from JBA and obviously he is redshirting. Not sure what his potential is.

-- Goodine is disappointing. Just looks super uncomfortable offensively. That said, do like the kid going forward. Think he will be fine.

Sadly, none of these observations bodes well for this season at least.

Freshman can’t be expected to come right and be consistent unless they are top 25ish prospects.
Even then it takes those Kentucky freshman some time as they hit poor streaks.
We don’t get the Zion/top 3 nba pick Freshman. Tyler Ennis was the exception to me not the expectation.

I just hope the freshman develop as I worry about player development.

I agree with all of this but in particular the development part. We desperately need the guys on this roster to improve and if they do we could be decent next season. It's just hard to bank on that b/c we've been absolutely brutal in that department as of late. Ton of focus on the recruiting and, in all honesty, rightfully so. But if we were developing the guys who have solid upside -- edwards, guerrier, braswell, goodine -- and getting good contributions from the guys who may have more limited upside -- dolezaj, sidibe, girard, buddy -- we could still be solid in a topsy-turvy college basketball landscape. But we just don't seem to develop players much anymore.

That's the thing -- we have a lot of nice pieces but no true studs. I like Hughes but he can be brutal defensively too. One legit NBA prospect would at least make this team interesting but we just don't have that.

His defense in transition is amazingly bad. That said I think he's pretty active in the zone. Never going to be real good on that end but I think he could at least be OK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom