I don't understand all of the whining | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I don't understand all of the whining

Exactly. Every team that goes to the FF has that knockdown, drag out type game; with how we looked vs. W. Michigan, if we escaped Dayton I would have been confident in us playing in Dallas.

Really? You think we could've scored against some of these other teams? The teams that are left are extremely good offensive teams. They can score on good defenses because of their personnel. We can't.

Really? You think we could've scored against some of these other teams? The teams that are left are extremely good offensive teams. They can score on good defenses because of their personnel. We can't.
I think we could have beat Stanford and had a good shot vs. Florida.

I struggle with the NCAA tourney by itself being the arbiter of success. It's just too random the 1-gamers. I mean are we really lesser because of one Keith smart jumper?

That's what I've always said that people who say that the NCAA tourney is "all that counts" are taking the wrong approach. It's kind of a crap shoot: each year you could play the tournament all over again and get a different result. You ahve to have multiple goals: win the conference regular seasons. win the conference tournament. Win 30 games. Get to the Final Four. All those things make a season "special. A national championship is historical. But it 's not the only goal or the only reason to have good memories of a season.

It's just that when you see so many programs getting their 2nd, 3rd or 4th titles, the desire to get our second and the regret that we haven't already done so naturally increase.

We're not elite. 4 teams are elite: Duke, NC, Kansas and Kentucky. We're one of several near elite programs: Michigan State, UConn, Florida, Louisville etc. Other teams are ahead of us in the near elite category but I think we're comfortably in the top 10. Some feel we should be at the level of those top 4. We're not and may never be. I'm OK with that. We're not the Yankees of college basketball. If you simply can't handle us not being at that level, then you should change your allegiance to another team. You're likely to be happier and more satisfied doing that.

I think we would have beaten Stanford to get our 30th win and then lost to Florida, probably in a similar fashion to Dayton and be sad about that but have the feeling that we went about as far as we could go, which is a rare feeling this time of year.

SWC75 said:
That's what I've always said that people who say that the NCAA tourney is "all that counts" are taking the wrong approach. It's kind of a crap shoot: each year you could play the tournament all over again and get a different result. You ahve to have multiple goals: win the conference regular seasons. win the conference tournament. Win 30 games. Get to the Final Four. All those things make a season "special. A national championship is historical. But it 's not the only goal or the only reason to have good memories of a season. It's just that when you see so many programs getting their 2nd, 3rd or 4th titles, the desire to get our second and the regret that we haven'tr already done so naturally increase.

I've said for a long time that we need to enjoy the regular season.

We've enjoyed many regular seasons.

If you're counting on postseason success, as in titles, you're usually going to be disappointed.

Nature of the sport.

We overachieved this year. Watch the teams that are still alive, they all can pass and shoot. Not a secret that we couldn't shoot but there has been little mention of our team passing issues which were nearly as bad as our shooting, sometimes worse. I hope we have some players watching how these teams whip the ball around until they find an open man.

That's what I've always said that people who say that the NCAA tourney is "all that counts" are taking the wrong approach. It's kind of a crap shoot: each year you could play the tournament all over again and get a different result. You ahve to have multiple goals: win the conference regular seasons. win the conference tournament. Win 30 games. Get to the Final Four. All those things make a season "special. A national championship is historical. But it 's not the only goal or the only reason to have good memories of a season.

It's just that when you see so many programs getting their 2nd, 3rd or 4th titles, the desire to get our second and the regret that we haven'tr already done so naturally increase.

This is bs. Winning regular season titles and post-season titles is nice, but ultimately no one gives a blank about that. All that matters in sports is winning it all. That's why Derek Jeter is an all-time great. He has five rings. No one brings up all the Yankees' AL East titles.

Your post is designed to excuse Boeheim and his one Title. He has accomplished a lot but the fact that he has one ring DOES hurt his legacy.

We're not elite. 4 teams are elite: Duke, NC, Kansas and Kentucky. We're one of several near elite programs: Michigan State, UConn, Florida, Louisville etc. Other teams are ahead of us in the near elite category but I think we're comfortably in the top 10. Some feel we should be at the level of those top 4. We're not and may never be. I'm OK with that. We're not the Yankees of college basketball. If you simply can't handle us not being at that level, then you should change your allegiance to another team. You're likely to be happier and more satisfied doing that.

i guess it would have to be to one of the top 4. ;)

I think we would have beaten Stanford to get our 30th win and then lost to Florida, probably in a similar fashion to Dayton and be sad about that but have the feeling that we went about as far as we could go, which is a rare feeling this time of year.

If you think that we would have beaten stanford, how do you feel that we went as far as we could go?

iommi said:
This is bs. Winning regular season titles and post-season title are nice, but ultimately no one gives a blank about that. All that matters in sports is winning it all. That's why Derek Jeter is an all/time great. He has five rings. No one brings up all the Yankees' AL East titles. Your post is designed to excuse Boeheim and his won Title. He has accomplished a lot but the fact that he has one ring DOES hurt his legacy.

LeBron could have won a lot of games in Cleveland but he came to Miami because?

And didn't JB say that Melo needed to find a team where he could win a title?

LeBron could have won a lot of games in Cleveland but he came to Miami because?

And didn't JB say that Melo needed to find a team where he could win a title?

Very good point, he said that Melo ultimately is going to be judged on the number of titles that he wins.

This is bs. Winning regular season titles and post-season titles is nice, but ultimately no one gives a blank about that. All that matters in sports is winning it all. That's why Derek Jeter is an all-time great. He has five rings. No one brings up all the Yankees' AL East titles.

Your post is designed to excuse Boeheim and his one Title. He has accomplished a lot but the fact that he has one ring DOES hurt his legacy.
I agree; but it's kind of crazy to think if Keith Smart missed that shot, JB would be on a different level.

This is bs. Winning regular season titles and post-season title are nice, but ultimately no one gives a blank about that. All that matters in sports is winning it all. That's why Derek Jeter is an all/time great. He has five rings. No one brings up all the Yankees' AL East titles.

Wow. I said in the post that we are naturally going to be dissatisfied with one title when these other schools have 2-3 and previously posted on the same subject. I never mentioned Boeheim. I simply said that if your happiness is based entirely on what happens in a single elimination tournament, happiness is going to be elusive. That's true for all schools and their fans. And if wining national championships is the only thing "anybody" cares about, then we've had one successful season in our history. Do you really want to say that?!?

It's just that when you see so many programs getting their 2nd, 3rd or 4th titles, the desire to get our second and the regret that we haven't already done so naturally increase.

Yes...the tournament is a crap shoot if you look at it as a one year snapshot. If had this tournament to look at and nothing else you wouldn't have come away with a favorable impression of Coach K.

The problem is the tournament isn't so much a crap shoot when you have thirty eight of them to use as data points.

I agree; but it's kind of crazy to think if Keith Smart missed that shot, JB would be on a different level.

That is the way sports work, If scott norwood's kick was a few inches closer.

If you think that we would have beaten stanford, how do you feel that we went as far as we could go?

Because we weren't as good as Florida. I think we were better than Dayton and Stanford.

SWC75 said:
Wow. I said in the post that we are naturally going to be dissatisfied with one title when these other schools have 2-3 and previously posted on the same subject. I never mentioned Boeheim. I simply said that if your happiness is based entirely on what happens in a single elimination tournament, happiness is going to be elusive. That's true for all schools and their fans. And if wining national championships is the only thing "anybody" cares about, then we've had one successful season in our history. Do you really want to say that?!?

I think we're all a little testy.

The disappointing finish.

Ennis

Maybe Grant

Maybe Hop

UConn

I'm ready for some nice weather.

Because we weren't as good as Florida. I think we were better than Dayton and Stanford.

That is what I mean, we are better than Dayton and Stanford, so if we lost to Dayton, how did we go as far as we should have?

We've had successful seasons but have fallen short every time but once. There are different degrees of success. You are a student of history. People remember who cut down the nets. No one remembers who made the Elite 8. The ultimate scoreboard win is the Title. Period.

JB and K have a ton of wins...let's say JB had more wins than K. K would still be viewed as the far superior coach because of his National Titles.

or resume does not compare to duke in any way, shape, or form.
You said we are lesser because of our tourney stumbles. I said all teams have those, including Duke. I compared our stumbling early resumes only. Duke has a whole bunch of bumbles. If you're going to hold it against us, hold it against them. Kansas and Florida have them too. Be consistent.

Ultimately, it's the players that win championships. If you take a look at the list of McDonald's AA's by team over the years, you'd see that it has a good correlation with NCAA championships. If you reversed the number of McDonald's AA's Duke and Syracuse have had, it would not surprise me if the number of titles each coach had was reversed as well. The only 2 teams that have outperformed us over the years with less McDonald's AA'S are Michigan State and UConn.

Of course, how well a coach recruits is part of evaluating how great a coach they are. But the 4 elite programs have been and are more attractive to recruits than we are. That is unlikely to change any time soon. JB has done a very good job recruiting over the years. But I think he is too often overrated in this area. I've heard many people talk highly of our talent over the years and make it sound like we're on par with the elite 4. Some years we may be like in 2003. But overall, throughout all the years, we have not been.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom