I don't understand all of the whining | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I don't understand all of the whining

What do we want from our program? Tournament success?

6 straight tournament appearances with seeds of 3-1-3-1-4-3
4 Sweet 16s in the past 6 years
Final Four last year
Elite 8 the year before that

Is this not enough? How do we compare with our peers over the same period? Serious question.

Playing well in March. Not collapsing down the stretch and going 0-10 from 3.

We looked great against IU a couple years back. More of that. And a 2nd title.

Look at UConn. I'll take some of that.

I usually hate the inferiority showed among our fans, but we are at the lower rung of the blue bloods with Arizona. 99% of programs wish they had as little success as we do though.
The success of the program is a direct reflection of the coach. We have a good coach not an elite coach. It's very simple.

I wish we'd take that next step and become an elite program, not just borderline elite. I want back to back final fours, a bunch more elite 8's, better recruits and most importantly another title. I would also like to stop losing to 11 seeds.

Outside of Duke and I guess Florida, the other programs go and get the best coaches - Syracuse and many of its fans refuse to accept that Boeheim is not an elite coach and thus will never become elite with him in charge.

Kentucky has won titles with three different coaches in the past 20 years, two of them I would consider elite. Kansas is the same. Duke, Florida and UConn had/have the best coaches and as a result have had multiple championships.

Until Syracuse gets an elite coach, they will never be elite. They have the infrastructure to be elite.
This!! This is the simple truth. JB has coached long enough for even his strongest supporters to admit he is not an elite coach and he never will be. The data doesn't lie.

anglerman said:
The success of the program is a direct reflection of the coach. We have a good coach not an elite coach. It's very simple.

JB is an elite coach. It's that simple and the facts and history bear that out.

Peeps don't realize how good that shot nearly was (except for you). Ugh. Every team that goes far has a grinder win. We lost ours sadly
We too frequently lose ours. More frequently than any other program in history.

We too frequently lose ours. More frequently than any other program in history.

You do realize we are in the hunt every single year right? I can name about 330 other teams that would love to trade programs with us. Cheer up, here's a smiley for you :)

JB is an elite coach. It's that simple and the facts and history bear that out.

Well I guess Archie Miller is elite, too. He outcoached Boeheim.

How does an elite coach produce the "offense" that we witnessed in the Dayton game or the other dozen stinkers this season? He had one of the best passing pgs in the country and this is what we get? No ball movement or teamwork?

Well I guess Archie Miller is elite, too. He outcoached Boeheim.

How does an elite coach produce the "offense" that we witnessed in the Dayton game or the other dozen stinkers this season? He had one of the best passing pgs in the country and this is what we get? No ball movement or teamwork?

Yea, 1 game makes a coach elite.

Look at history and the facts.

raf4488 said:
What do we want from our program? Tournament success? 6 straight tournament appearances with seeds of 3-1-3-1-4-3 4 Sweet 16s in the past 6 years Final Four last year Elite 8 the year before that Is this not enough? How do we compare with our peers over the same period? Serious question.

I'd like us to play to our seed every year & occasionally play above our seed. That is a big reason why a large portion of the fanbase doesn't appreciate JB.

The many early exits or upsets to a lower seed are why some can't savor the 4 FFs & 1 NC.

Tubby Smith was fired from UK for presiding over the longest Final Four drought in the program's history.

It was nine years.

He won 76% of his games, five regular season championships, five conference tournament titles and four elite eights in just 10 seasons. He reached 100 wins faster than any other Kentucky coach in history.

He also one a title.

Where is Kentucky today? Where is Syracuse today?

Quazzum69 said:
Tubby Smith was fired from UK for presiding over the longest Final Four drought in the program's history. It was nine years. He won 76% of his games, five regular season championships, five conference tournament titles and four elite eights in just 10 seasons. He reached 100 wins faster than any other Kentucky coach in history. He also one a title. Where is Kentucky today? Where is Syracuse today?

You must have missed the post that listed all the great coaches that had 1 championship.

Quazzum69 said:
Tubby Smith was fired from UK for presiding over the longest Final Four drought in the program's history.

It was nine years.

He won 76% of his games, five regular season championships, five conference tournament titles and four elite eights in just 10 seasons. He reached 100 wins faster than any other Kentucky coach in history.

He also one a title.

Where is Kentucky today? Where is Syracuse today?

A year removed from the Final Four?

Elements of this board seem so much more suitable for Syracuse.com.

Some people r clueless. Yeah JB sucks. IdiotsIdiots
Jb is a good coach and not an elite one. 1 final four every ten years doesn't qualify as elite. I guess I have a higher expectation of what the program can be than you do. There's no reason that SU can't have the same success as Kentucky has had recently. I just don't think JB will ever get you to that level. It's simple fact he's had nearly 40 years to prove otherwise. He never has and never will.

anglerman said:
Jb is a good coach and not an elite one. 1 final four every ten years doesn't qualify as elite. I guess I have a higher expectation of what the program can be than you do. There's no reason that SU can't have the same success as Kentucky has had recently. I just don't think JB will ever get you to that level. It's simple fact he's had nearly 40 years to prove otherwise. He never has and never will.

His peers would disagree with you. I'd listen to them .

kuethstheman said:
Yes. 6 times to double - digit seeds. Most in history.

How many years has he coached compared to everyone else ?

The delusional ignorance in this thread is staggering. Some of you would do well to find another team.

Why, because fans cheer differently then yourself? I seriously hate these type of responses. We are all obviously Die hard Syracuse fans one way or another, were posting on a forum about Syracuse sports for crying out loud. Its obviously not realistic to win a championship every single year, but Ill be danmed if I dont go into every year hoping this is the year we win another championship. I dont like when my team loses, obviously no fan roots for their team to lose. In reverse, fans root and cheer for their team to win every game. It is a little staggering that with all of our success that we only have 1 championship, I think that it is fair to assess and question why we havent won at least one more title. I understand some of the current issues we have had to deal with, but it cant explain every setback. Think about it this way, we have the 5th most wins and the 5th highest winning percentage in College basketball history and we only have 1 title to show for it.

Now I know why my stocks dip when there isn't really any good reason for them to do so, Boeheim is what he is and pretty much has always been. Emotion takes over for common sense. I DO understand the complaints regarding Boeheim and I have had mine though out his time at SU. But, the wild swings are something that I suppose passionate fans do and some can step back and look at it from a distance quicker than others.