I don't understand all of the whining | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I don't understand all of the whining

You said we are lesser because of our tourney stumbles. I said all teams have those, including Duke. I compared our stumbling early resumes only. Duke has a whole bunch of bumbles. If you're going to hold it against us, hold it against them. Kansas and Florida have them too. Be consistent.
all three of those programs have more titles than us.

This is bs. Winning regular season titles and post-season titles is nice, but ultimately no one gives a blank about that. All that matters in sports is winning it all. That's why Derek Jeter is an all-time great. He has five rings. No one brings up all the Yankees' AL East titles.

Your post is designed to excuse Boeheim and his one Title. He has accomplished a lot but the fact that he has one ring DOES hurt his legacy.

A program with as much regular season success in a power conference as Syracuse should have more than 1 championship and should go to the FF more than once a decade. The bar has been sight high - we should be therefore aiming high and not be content with a season that turned out like this.

Outside of Duke and I guess Florida, the other programs go and get the best coaches - Syracuse and many of its fans refuse to accept that Boeheim is not an elite coach and thus will never become elite with him in charge.

Kentucky has won titles with three different coaches in the past 20 years, two of them I would consider elite. Kansas is the same. Duke, Florida and UConn had/have the best coaches and as a result have had multiple championships.

Until Syracuse gets an elite coach, they will never be elite. They have the infrastructure to be elite.

A program with as much regular season success in a power conference as Syracuse should have more than 1 championship and should go to the FF more than once a decade. The bar has been sight high - we should be therefore aiming high and not be content with a season that turned out like this.
I think the question then becomes; are we over-acheiving in the regular season?

Quazzum69 said:
Until Syracuse gets an elite coach, they will never be elite. They have the infrastructure to be elite.

JB is an elite coach. That infrastructure you say we have was also built by JB.

The only season of late that's really frustrated me was 2009-10 in terms of how it ended. That was our best chance at another title and of course what happened to derail it was beyond anyone's control, but . . .

Frankly after the debacles of the 2005-2008 period (the two BET titles aside), though, it's hard to be too upset with what's happened since. Two 1 seeds? Aren't those our first since 1981 or something?

I think the question then becomes; are we over-acheiving in the regular season?

No way, not with a locker room full of 4 star and 5 star recruits.

The only season of late that's really frustrated me was 2009-10 in terms of how it ended. That was our best chance at another title and of course what happened to derail it was beyond anyone's control, but . . .

Frankly after the debacles of the 2005-2008 period (the two BET titles aside), though, it's hard to be too upset with what's happened since. Two 1 seeds? Aren't those our first since 1981 or something?

Why should anyone care about being 1 seeds? It only matters if you get to the promised land as a one seed. You think UConn cares they were a 7 seed this year?

Why should anyone care about being 1 seeds? It only matters if you get to the promised land as a one seed. You think UConn cares they were a 7 seed this year?
1 seed is just a sign of regular season success. Nothing else.

I think we could have beat Stanford and had a good shot vs. Florida.

Stanford maybe but Powell and Nastic could've dominated us. The problem is that Syracuse did not improve. Early in the season before the book was out on us and the limitations on offense were scouted and exposed; sure we probably could've beaten Florida. No chance now. In fact I think it would be ugly.

1 seed is just a sign of regular season success. Nothing else.

This is the knock on Syracuse - that if there was a champioship in January we'd have quite a few. Time and time again this team underachieves in the postseason. Anyone who has followed the program long enough knows this. There have been many inexplicable "Dayton" games - losing to seemingly inferior lower seeds.

Obviously I'm a bit frustated now when I know just 4 weeks ago this team was headed for a high seed probably playing in MSG...and it just all fell apart to the point where I have to see UCONN celebrating there.

This is the knock on Syracuse - that if there was a champioship in January we'd have quite a few. Time and time again this team underachieves in the postseason. Anyone who has followed the program long enough knows this. There have been many inexplicable "Dayton" games - losing to seemingly inferior lower seeds.

Obviously I'm a bit frustated now when I know just 4 weeks ago this team was headed for a high seed probably playing in MSG...and it just all fell apart to the point where I have to see UCONN celebrating there.
UConn deserves it. They came together at the right time; we fell apart. They've been clutch and big time moments. It's time to back away from the orange glasses and give them their due (I'm not directing this at you, just everyone in general)

UConn deserves it. They came together at the right time; we fell apart. They've been clutch and big time moments. It's time to back away from the orange glasses and give them their due (I'm not directing this at you, just everyone in general)

Oh yeah no doubt - props to Uconn. Not so much them..but that celebration at the Garden is what I envisioned throughout the season (and I know 95% here shared the same thought). Just reminds me how frustarting this season turned out - and how I can never understand how anyone could be content with our regular season(s).

JB is an elite coach. Number two in all time wins, built the Syracuse program to where it is now. Now, anything less than a final four is unacceptable for a program like Syracuse. JB got us here, now we have to put up or shut up as a program. We should have won in 2010, so we're likely sitting at 3 championships right now without bad luck.

That is what I mean, we are better than Dayton and Stanford, so if we lost to Dayton, how did we go as far as we should have?

Re-read this:

I think we would have beaten Stanford to get our 30th win and then lost to Florida, probably in a similar fashion to Dayton and be sad about that but have the feeling that we went about as far as we could go, which is a rare feeling this time of year.

We've had successful seasons but have fallen short every time but once. There are different degrees of success. You are a student of history. People remember who cut down the nets. No one remembers who made the Elite 8. The ultimate scoreboard win is the Title. Period.

JB and K have a ton of wins...let's say JB had more wins than K. K would still be viewed as the far superior coach because of his National Titles.

I remember when we won the conference title, the conference tournament, won 30 games, made the Elite and the Final Four. I feel sorry for those who don't.

I struggle with the NCAA tourney by itself being the arbiter of success. It's just too random the 1-gamers. I mean are we really lesser because of one Keith smart jumper?

Unfortunately, I think we are. 'Ships are all that matter. We need another, and we'll get one.

What do we want from our program? Tournament success?

6 straight tournament appearances with seeds of 3-1-3-1-4-3
4 Sweet 16s in the past 6 years
Final Four last year
Elite 8 the year before that

Is this not enough? How do we compare with our peers over the same period? Serious question.

im sure this has been spoke about ad naseum above... but i am only responding before seeing any responses.

this is a very short sided way of looking at it.

look at the teams that we have had, the teams we have lost to, the starts that we have had. it equals disappointment.

it is a very sad day for me when i realize that florida has the same amount of final 4's and 1 more championship than us.

let that fact sit on you.

I remember when we won the conference title, the conference tournament, won 30 games, made the Elite and the Final Four. I feel sorry for those who don't.

That's why your board title is, "Bored Historian.";)

Outside of Duke and I guess Florida, the other programs go and get the best coaches - Syracuse and many of its fans refuse to accept that Boeheim is not an elite coach and thus will never become elite with him in charge. .

Yeah I would not go that far.

This bothers me too. But people who throw out the "elite" title is largely based on postseason success. UConn was dead in the water in January, half the fan base gave up on the team; now 2 months later they're in the Final 4. Unfortunately for us, the postseason means a lot more than the regular season.

Cuse very rarely is playing its best ball in March. If the FF was in December, we would have 3 or 4 titles.

SWC75 said:

Once in my life I'd like to see SU win the regular season, postseason and national title.

Florida may be on the verge of that this year.

It really makes a statement.

Once in my life I'd like to see SU win the regular season, postseason and national title.

Florida may be on the verge of that this year.

It really makes a statement.
Another Florida-UK game with the title on the line would be something. Especially with the level UK is playing right now.

It's sort of the obvious, and I think some of the problems will be fixed moving forward, but we need more guys who can late in the season make plays. More guys who can break down a defense...guards and forwards. Post scorers. Better passers other than PG is a HUGE need in the other positions as well. Shooters, oy. Other teams are finding even young 3 star talent and they are making major impacts post-season. Wisconsin and Michigan have a bunch of them.

We should probably be happy that the team did as well as they did. Boeheim probably did do a great job coaching up this roster. Still, I wonder how behind Roberson/Patterson really were in practice. Lesser 'heralded' recruits are contributing all over the place. 28-6 with an obviously flawed and thin roster is pretty damn good. I'm optimistic moving forward.

I will say this, in 10 years no one will remember Wichita State went undefeated during the regular season but people will know who won the National Title. Thats what the sport is all about, not your regular season accomplishments but your postseason success. It is the same reason people cannot call Dan Marino the greatest QB of all time, because he never won the big game. Its all about championships and titles. Think Jeter would be revered as much as he is if he didnt win all those world series?