I don't understand all of the whining | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

I don't understand all of the whining

A year removed from the Final Four?

Elements of this board seem so much more suitable for Syracuse.com.

I didn't realize this was JimBoeheimfan.com

Boeheim went a couple stretches where he was as bad as Tubby Smith in getting to final fours: 1987 to 1996 and 2003 to 2013. He outpaced Boeheim in getting to the elite eight - five in 10 seasons compared to Boeheim's six in 38 seasons. Had he stayed at Kentucky for 40 years he would probably have three more final fours (seems pretty bad for Kentucky, though, doesn't it?).

Tubby Smith during his time at Kentucky was at least nearly as good as Boeheim probably during any ten-year stretch at SU and yet he was fired probably without hesitation for not achieving success that Kentucky knew they could achieve. If Calipari's team this year flamed out early, you know they'd be getting antsy in Lexington and ready to hire the best coach available.

I didn't realize this was JimBoeheimfan.com

Boeheim went a couple stretches where he was as bad as Tubby Smith in getting to final fours: 1987 to 1996 and 2003 to 2013. He outpaced Boeheim in getting to the elite eight - five in 10 seasons compared to Boeheim's six in 38 seasons. Had he stayed at Kentucky for 40 years he would probably have three more final fours (seems pretty bad for Kentucky, though, doesn't it?).

Tubby Smith during his time at Kentucky was at least nearly as good as Boeheim probably during any ten-year stretch at SU and yet he was fired probably without hesitation for not achieving success that Kentucky knew they could achieve. If Calipari's team this year flamed out early, you know they'd be getting antsy in Lexington and ready to hire the best coach available.

The last thing I ever want for Syracuse University is to ever operate like an SEC school.

Well I guess Archie Miller is elite, too. He outcoached Boeheim.

How does an elite coach produce the "offense" that we witnessed in the Dayton game or the other dozen stinkers this season? He had one of the best passing pgs in the country and this is what we get? No ball movement or teamwork?

I also think JB is very very good but not elite. Everybody had a hand in the offense being so bad. Players and coaches, imo, but there were numerous limitations with the roster that myself and numerous others have been trying to point out the past few days. You can blame JB perhaps for not running a different style of offense or lack of bench development, but, look at all those Elite 8 teams. MULTIPLE ballhandlers at many positions. MULTIPLE good passers. This is how Arizona plays without good shooters. Same with UNC as they improved towards the end of the season. We all know about the lack of shooters. This roster just clearly didn't have enough skill. There is only so much JB can do.

I think JB is to coaching what SU is to programs: 2nd-tier elite. Program-wise you have your 4-5 first-tier elite, while we are in that second group of 4 or 5. Likewise, in coaching, you have Wooden/K/Knight/Dean Smith, etc. in the first-tier, while Boeheim is in that second group. Seems pretty straight-forward to me.

LOL. Let's compare Syracuse when Boehiem took over to Kentucky when Tubby Smith took over.

I will say this, in 10 years no one will remember Wichita State went undefeated during the regular season but people will know who won the National Title. Thats what the sport is all about, not your regular season accomplishments but your postseason success. It is the same reason people cannot call Dan Marino the greatest QB of all time, because he never won the big game. Its all about championships and titles. Think Jeter would be revered as much as he is if he didnt win all those world series?

People may not call Dan Marino the greatest QB of all time but I think they appreciate him for what he did accomplish. And Wichita State fans will not soon forget what they accomplished this year.

Really, all these assertions that "nobody remembers...nobody cares...etc. are a bit presumptuous. You're really just saying that you don't remember or care. You've a right to your opinion but it should be identified as such.

Last edited:
Now I know why my stocks dip when there isn't really any good reason for them to do so, Boeheim is what he is and pretty much has always been. Emotion takes over for common sense. I DO understand the complaints regarding Boeheim and I have had mine though out his time at SU. But, the wild swings are something that I suppose passionate fans do and some can step back and look at it from a distance quicker than others.

Why would anybody have a different opinion about JB than they did a year ago? What has changed? Oh, yeah, we got beat before we got to the Final Four. He's obviously the same coach now that he was then.

Last edited: