I guess it's just me, but that whole broadcast was so over | Syracusefan.com

I guess it's just me, but that whole broadcast was so over

GoSU96

Living Legend
the top it was ridiculous.

One year ago they were trying to run the guy out on a rail, and now the whole approach makes Vitale look like a K hater.

And now they are turning the run to 900 into a big feature for the first part of the season.

There's nothing wrong with recognizing what the guy has done and noteing it, but that was laid on way to thick.

now duke fans know how everyone else feels when vitale calls 1 of their games.

Yes it was rather 'cultish'. I was thinking if I wasn't a fan I would be hating this broadcast.

the top it was ridiculous.

One year ago they were trying to run the guy out on a rail, and now the whole approach makes Vitale look like a K hater.

And now they are turning the run to 900 into a big feature for the first part of the season.

There's nothing wrong with recognizing what the guy has done and noteing it, but that was laid on way to thick.
Enjoy it while you can.

That's the thing, it wasn't enjoyable.

I enjoyed it. I said last year when K passed Knight that they better make a big deal of when JB passes him. It looks like they are at least making an effort.

I enjoyed it. I said last year when K passed Knight that they better make a big deal of when JB passes him. It looks like they are at least making an effort.

Eh, if they were doing that to a peer, it would be one thing, but they were tuning up a team that got it's nickname from Cosmo Kramer.

Well when they started talking about Matt Roe...a player who transfered. Ugh. Why didn't they mention Glenn Sekunda?!? ;)

I guess they were praising the wrong Syracuse coach for you. JB deserves every bit of it.

Yeah, that's it. Did I in anyway criticize Boeheim. Guess what champ, I remember a time when the collective wisdom was that Boeheim was horrible, and I was on the otherside of that one to. It didn't take me 25 years and a NC to see we had a great coach.

Yeah, that's it. Did I in anyway criticize Boeheim. Guess what champ, I remember a time when the collective wisdom was that Boeheim was horrible, and I was on the otherside of that one to. It didn't take me 25 years and a NC to see we had a great coach.

I'm kind of torn -- it was hard not to notice how absurdly complimentary they were of all things syracuse in that broadcast and on the espn site, etc. But by the same token, I will say that 900 at one school is a pretty remarkable thing. It truly may never happen again -- not impossible but pretty freaking rare to get to a number that absurd and do it at one place.

Well when they started talking about Matt Roe...a player who transfered. Ugh. Why didn't they mention Glenn Sekunda?!? ;)

Did anone else notice the halftime and post game analist Dan Dochit who keeps making JB Riefsneider references? (Please excuse my spelling on both names)

It has been thick and heavy-handed. But, they're a network, and networks exist to sell soap and cars, and they have airspace to fill. What are you gonna do?

The ridiculous part, though, is all the contrived "brilliance" they attribute to JB. Praise his record, fine. But, make up stuff about how he only recruits specific types of players to fit his specific coaching scheme... and it's just BS. Gotta have those prototypical players, right? The guard... As if Michael Edwards and Adrian Autry weren't polar opposites. As if Triche and Devendorf weren't opposites. As if MCW and Johnny Flynn weren't completely different players. What do DC1 and Rick Jackson have in common? Pearl and Allen Griffin... And, everyone seems to forget we haven't been exclusively a zone team for all that long.

Slurping is fine. If it's genuine. But, jeezus — have some background and perspective.

Sorry. After the whole Bernie debacle and the ever-present "home game/never leave the Dome" schtick, this was a breath of fresh air. I enjoyed it. A lot. Because after 900, it's most likely back to the same old, same old...

Dick Vitale was there?? I had no idea. During the second half I said to someone, "What a boring game for a national audience!" I also added that we should enjoy this "relaxed" feeling while we can. So, I would imagine there's going to be ESPN coverage of game 900 as well. I haven't yet watched the game, but I must say that JB deserves anything and everything. Say what you want about Dickie V, he loooooves college hoops. And he has been very up on SU bball for many years. It's just that he can be as tedious as parts of that second half were last night. I hope they get Bobby Knight for game 900!

It has been thick and heavy-handed. But, they're a network, and networks exist to sell soap and cars, and they have airspace to fill. What are you gonna do?

The ridiculous part, though, is all the contrived "brilliance" they attribute to JB. Praise his record, fine. But, make up stuff about how he only recruits specific types of players to fit his specific coaching scheme... and it's just BS. Gotta have those prototypical players, right? The guard... As if Michael Edwards and Adrian Autry weren't polar opposites. As if Triche and Devendorf weren't opposites. As if MCW and Johnny Flynn weren't completely different players. What do DC1 and Rick Jackson have in common? Pearl and Allen Griffin... And, everyone seems to forget we haven't been exclusively a zone team for all that long.

Slurping is fine. If it's genuine. But, jeezus — have some background and perspective.

Do you actually follow Syracuse basketball?? He does recruit certain types of players to play the zone defense and the zone transition offense. As far as talents go, yes the players are different, but as far as body type/physical attritbutes, JB recruits players to fit the zone. That is where he is different from coaches like PayPalCal. Cal recruits players then creates offenses/defenses to match those players. JB creates the offenses/defenses then recruits the players to meet those needs. Read this article, it lays out pretty well how JB recruits and coaches: http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...-elite-status-every-season-college-basketball

Next time before crititzing you may want to get a little more knowledge on the subject...just trying to help you out...

jb recruits to the zone since he started playing zone 100% of the time. That was really 1996. Now, if you get a talent like g-mac, you take him. But unless recruiting suddenly dried up, you won't see Mike Edwards walking in that door.

I remember a time when the collective wisdom was that Boeheim was horrible

Surely he's had his critics, but I've followed Boeheim's entire career and can't recall a time when that statement was ever true.

Otherside of what one now? That he should be praised for what he has done here? Jb has done an amazing job as head coach at syracuse. 900 wins. 20 plus wins every single year. They can't say enough good things about him. And just so you know, I have always defended jb. Right from the start. Except when he was abusive, which he has been, in his press conferences. But to jb's credit, he has never black listed a reporter that I know of. And I'm sure if he did, he would be man enough to tell that reporter why.

That's the thing, it wasn't enjoyable.
Sorry Go. I love your contribution to this board but you are a cult of one on this subject.
I am perfectly comfortable being hypocritical on this situation.

Surely he's had his critics, but I've followed Boeheim's entire career and can't recall a time when that statement was ever true.
actually. it is true. A lot of people that he was just the worst coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom