I guess it's just me, but that whole broadcast was so over | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I guess it's just me, but that whole broadcast was so over

jb recruits to the zone since he started playing zone 100% of the time. That was really 1996. Now, if you get a talent like g-mac, you take him. But unless recruiting suddenly dried up, you won't see Mike Edwards walking in that door.
I don't think that is true. Certainly not since 1996. He had generally taken the best player available, the best offensive player for most positions. That is how you get a Devendorf, GMac or Harris. They aren't long and athletic. Just good players. He then used the zone to help mask individual D weaknesses.

Three years ago a change happened and the D became a weapon. Also SU's reputation has grown and the choice of players has helped recruiting. But if a DC2 is available with a potential useful offense, JB is not turning him down, regardless of zone fit.

I don't think that is true. Certainly not since 1996. He had generally taken the best player available, the best offensive player for most positions. That is how you get a Devendorf, GMac or Harris. They aren't long and athletic. Just good players. He then used the zone to help mask individual D weaknesses.

Three years ago a change happened and the D became a weapon. Also SU's reputation has grown and the choice of players has helped recruiting. But if a DC2 is available with a potential useful offense, JB is not turning him down, regardless of zone fit.
Don't disagree. But you do see players that we recruit, and many in the upcoming class, that are recruited because they fit our system. As I said, g-mac didn't fit. But we made room.

i think the point is valid and shows a knowledge of jb's recruits . if you look at jason hart,gerry mac,billy edelin, devo, scoop, triche,jonny and mcw you can't honestly say he's recruiting a "type" becuz these guys games are ooooh so different. granted he's always had a penchant for the long rangy sf's but after that it's get the best players he can. agreed?

i think the point is valid and shows a knowledge of jb's recruits . if you look at jason hart,gerry mac,billy edelin, devo, scoop, triche,jonny and mcw you can't honestly say he's recruiting a "type" becuz these guys games are ooooh so different. granted he's always had a penchant for the long rangy sf's but after that it's get the best players he can. agreed?

No...I don't agree...

ok. so go ahead explain to me the similarities of michael carter williams and tyler ennis in the zone.

Yeah, that's it. Did I in anyway criticize Boeheim. Guess what champ, I remember a time when the collective wisdom was that Boeheim was horrible, and I was on the otherside of that one to. It didn't take me 25 years and a NC to see we had a great coach.

Ugh. That's why I avoid threads like this. People are nuts. Say something that isn't remotely critical of Boeheim and posters still jump all over you.

Didn't realize that being a sycophant was a prerequisite to being a Syracuse fan or posting on this board.

ok. so go ahead explain to me the similarities of michael carter williams and tyler ennis in the zone.
None, but we will have 2 of the best distributors in back to back years. I love it!

Do you actually follow Syracuse basketball?? He does recruit certain types of players to play the zone defense and the zone transition offense. As far as talents go, yes the players are different, but as far as body type/physical attritbutes, JB recruits players to fit the zone. That is where he is different from coaches like PayPalCal. Cal recruits players then creates offenses/defenses to match those players. JB creates the offenses/defenses then recruits the players to meet those needs. Read this article, it lays out pretty well how JB recruits and coaches: http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...-elite-status-every-season-college-basketball

Next time before crititzing you may want to get a little more knowledge on the subject...just trying to help you out...

Boeheim did not recruit Devendorf or Flynn to play the zone. Doubt he recruited Paul Harris with that in mind, either.

Recruiting has picked up the the last three years, but he has long taken talented players who are not prototypical fits for a certain system.

Was it over the top? Yep. But I loved every minute of it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Agreed. It was over the top but I loved every minute of it to.

It felt good to hear and I thought it was about time somebody gave the man his due respect.

jb recruits to the zone since he started playing zone 100% of the time. That was really 1996. Now, if you get a talent like g-mac, you take him. But unless recruiting suddenly dried up, you won't see Mike Edwards walking in that door.

Not for nothing, but we were hardly an all-zone team starting in 1996. That was a one-year diversion to cover up limited depth and very slow guards. It won us five games in the tournament and then we went back to mixing defenses for the next six years. Those 1999 and 2000 teams actually played pretty good man.

Mike Edwards wouldn't be a good fit on these teams (we really have had three or four classes of good zone guys at this point). He was a talent way back when, though - one of the highest-rated recruits in Jersey, though not our top choice in '89.

Good post; that's exactly how I see it.

Did anone else notice the halftime and post game analist Dan Dochit who keeps making JB Riefsneider references? (Please excuse my spelling on both names)

name spelling forgiven but "analist" made me laugh out loud and now my boss knows I'm not working hard enough on a Friday.

name spelling forgiven but "analist" made me laugh out loud and now my boss knows I'm not working hard enough on a Friday.

Lol I was going to bust balls on that too but I let it go.

With respect to last night's broadcast, yes, it was over the top and I had trouble listening to it.

In regard to SU's recent recruiting strategy, I think the concept of recruiting to fit the system overblown. The tall, long-armed, athletic players SU tries to recruit are certainly suited to play zone defense, but those are also traits that fit man-to-man D.

Do you actually follow Syracuse basketball?? He does recruit certain types of players to play the zone defense and the zone transition offense. As far as talents go, yes the players are different, but as far as body type/physical attritbutes, JB recruits players to fit the zone. That is where he is different from coaches like PayPalCal. Cal recruits players then creates offenses/defenses to match those players. JB creates the offenses/defenses then recruits the players to meet those needs. Read this article, it lays out pretty well how JB recruits and coaches: http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...-elite-status-every-season-college-basketball

Next time before crititzing you may want to get a little more knowledge on the subject...just trying to help you out...

Yikes pretty harsh I'd say. Zelda and tbone have made some good points. Add Paul Harris, Arinze, and Dejuan Coleman to their lists and you can see that JB doesn't exclusively target long and lean. Even Dion is a real stretch to have been called long and lean. JB's flexible and smart enough to tweak his defense and offense to his players strengths.

I think his greatest accomplishment is his consistency despite the level of talent. The telecast's proclamations that SU is always filled with All-americans with All-Americans even sitting the bench is a huge overstatement. JB has been winning for 36-37 years with every type of team and player throughout those years. Dejaun Coleman is the 17th McDonald's All-American to play for JB over all those decades. It's just the past few years that we've seen the number of All-Americans coming to SU.

They should go "over the top" with JB getting to 900 wins. Sure, it has been done before. Only twice previously in college basketball, has a coach won 900 games. And, JB will be the only coach to do that at one school. Unless Calhoun comes out of retirement, there may not be another 900 win coach anytime soon if ever. We have been so blessed to have had a coach who is loyal and consistantly great.

Did anone else notice the halftime and post game analist Dan Dochit who keeps making JB Riefsneider references? (Please excuse my spelling on both names)
I can only comment on the the play by play/color aspect. I no longer watch pre-game, halftime, or post-game analysis anymore...just easier that way.

It has been thick and heavy-handed. But, they're a network, and networks exist to sell soap and cars, and they have airspace to fill. What are you gonna do?

The ridiculous part, though, is all the contrived "brilliance" they attribute to JB. Praise his record, fine. But, make up stuff about how he only recruits specific types of players to fit his specific coaching scheme... and it's just BS. Gotta have those prototypical players, right? The guard... As if Michael Edwards and Adrian Autry weren't polar opposites. As if Triche and Devendorf weren't opposites. As if MCW and Johnny Flynn weren't completely different players. What do DC1 and Rick Jackson have in common? Pearl and Allen Griffin... And, everyone seems to forget we haven't been exclusively a zone team for all that long.

Slurping is fine. If it's genuine. But, jeezus — have some background and perspective.
Of course, man of the players (before players) you mentioned were recruited when JB played a lot of man to man. JB will always take a great player, regardless of prototypical zone lenght. (Flynn, Harris). However, in the last few years, there does seem to be a concerted effort to go for J. Grant type kids.

The problem I had with the over the top stuff was making JB out to be the whole SU program (and even more far fetched attributing the success of other programs to JB). It kind of started to feel like they were implying when he left, that the program would drop into irrelevancy.

It felt like they were painting SU to be more like UConn than UK.

I think one of the underappreciated pieces of JB is his concern/plan for the SU program legacy. The extended Hop internship is looking more and more like pure genius. The SU transition to Hop seems like it will be seamless. The cupboard looks like it will be full when he takes over. Hop has a connection with the SU past.

Not for nothing, but we were hardly an all-zone team starting in 1996. That was a one-year diversion to cover up limited depth and very slow guards. It won us five games in the tournament and then we went back to mixing defenses for the next six years. Those 1999 and 2000 teams actually played pretty good man.

Mike Edwards wouldn't be a good fit on these teams (we really have had three or four classes of good zone guys at this point). He was a talent way back when, though - one of the highest-rated recruits in Jersey, though not our top choice in '89.
I would not agree that we mixed it up for the next 6 years. No way was it anywhere near 50 50. Most here, wished it was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom