I guess it's just me, but that whole broadcast was so over | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I guess it's just me, but that whole broadcast was so over

Agreed. It was over the top but I loved every minute of it to.

It felt good to hear and I thought it was about time somebody gave the man his due respect.

It "almost" made up for some of the BS we have gotten at times.

Lets not go overboard, you know damn well we are just a snap of the fingers from bringing the Fine Mess back. I hope we aren't jinxing it.

If they ran a espn special just like that every day for the next year, it might close the gap. It wouldn't make up for it.

Lets not go overboard, you know damn well we are just a snap of the fingers from bringing the Fine Mess back. I hope we aren't jinxing it.

I was thinking more along the lines of the weekly schedule home away bashing.

I think ESPN should host a huge ceremony at the dome after JB wins his 900th. And as a gift to JB and the entire SU community, they will bring Mark Schwartz to the podium where they will fire him and then step away to allow the SU fans to throw the orange colored rocks that they were given as they arrived at the Carrier Dome.

Of course it was over the top. Isn't that the name of the game at ESPN now?

I can barely watch ESPN anymore outside of the live sports games because you know they'll be recycling the same exact talking points over and over and over again - Tebow, Tebow in slow motion, photoshop of Tebow running into lineman and fumbling, Cuse non-conference schedule, etc.

Sorry Go. I love your contribution to this board but you are a cult of one on this subject.
I am perfectly comfortable being hypocritical on this situation.

Too much of a good thing. The guy is fully deserving of accolades and recognition, but I found it to be too much after a while.

Agreed. It was over the top but I loved every minute of it to.

It felt good to hear and I thought it was about time somebody gave the man his due respect.

About time? The guy has been a media darling for 10 years. Guys like Lupica and Junior would mock and ridicule him constantly in the 80' and 90's. Those days are long over.

JB and the program get tons of respect, all the time and it's not only from Bilas.

Over the top, yeah. But after watching so many years of Rodney Dangerfield postings by many of you on how JB, the Cuse and The Zone don't get proper respect, it seemed that maybe ESPN was trying to make it all up on one broadcast. Dan Dakich was positively gushy, but correct on JB's value to the program.

I, for one, have gotten tired of hearing every color analyst (except Bob Knight and Jay Bilas) give detailed "lessons" on how to attack SU's Zone, while never giving any similar advice on what Syracuse needs to do to win. Makes every broadcast sound like a Globetrotter's game and the Orange are the Generals! Thanks, ESPN, for one night of testimony to what JB hath wrought.-VBOF

About time? The guy has been a media darling for 10 years. Guys like Lupica and Junior would mock and ridicule him constantly in the 80' and 90's. Those days are long over.

JB and the program get tons of respect, all the time and it's not only from Bilas.

I understand all that but they were glowing not only about Boeheim but about Syracuse. They mentioned Desko and Lacrosse, and they mentioned the softball team…they talked about how great our sports programs are (or improving) and the commitment to sports excellence is because of what JB has done. He's set the bar at Syracuse and because of him sports will always matter at SU.

Things that never get mentioned the guy said; to paraphrase; “JB makes winning look easy and it’s not” “JB wins with lower rated guys – non superstars” … which is the reason he mentioned JB Reafsynder. Nobody recruited the kid except JB and he ends up being the starting center on a final four/NC championship team.

But now JB can select kids that fit his system or a role.

How JB has adapted to the game and wins no matter the style or the generation. JB loses kids and plugs in more and keeps winning. Example given the brief mention that Kentucky lost guys and is out of the top 25 and yet Syracuse lost 3 to the NBA and Scoop and still sits at #4.

How JB was the first coach to really take advantage of TV and ESPN. He recruited from coast to coast.

By and large it was all stuff that I’ve never heard anybody talk about in detail. This guy did a lot of research and analysis and he was right on the money and it was good to hear.

By the way, this was all just a little halftime report.

john wooden wrote a classic paper once stating that the proper way to attack the Generals defense is thru a well disciplined multipronged attack of hide the ball in your jersey/ the slide dribble/ the juggle weave/long hook shots ,pantsings and confetti buckets.

So, let me get this straight- exactly one year ago there was a very valid fear that our HOF'er, the man who built the modern Syracuse brand, who has been here... forever, and established an almost unparalleled standard of consistent winning, was gonna be railroaded by a fast-moving, murky, and unpredictable scandal.
Fast-forward to a year later and he not only survived, but is now getting the very well-deserved due for his exemplary record.
I for one, spent some sleepless nights wondering if we'd be blessed to see what's transpiring now.
How quickly we seem to forget how close we came to never witnessing this so-called "over the top" gushing by the media.
All due respect, but that list that JB is climbing (Knight, Rupp, Smith), is not chopped liver, and doing it in one place...in this day and age, is not something we're likely to see again.
Appreciate it. Embrace it. Applaud it.
We will not see its like ever again.

I understand all that but they were glowing not only about Boeheim but about Syracuse.They mentioned Desko and Lacrosse, and they mentioned the softball team…they talked about how great our sports programs are (or improving) and the commitment to sports excellence is because of what JB has done. He's set the bar at Syracuse and because of him sports will always matter at SU.

Things that never get mentioned the guy said; to paraphrase; “JB makes winning look easy and it’s not” “JB wins with lower rated guys – non superstars” … which is the reason he mentioned JB Reafsynder. Nobody recruited the kid except JB and he ends up being the starting center on a final four/NC championship team.

How JB has adapted to the game and wins no matter the style or the generation. JB loses kids and plugs in more and keeps winning. Example given the brief mention that Kentucky lost guys and is out of the top 25 and yet Syracuse lost 3 to the NBA and Scoop and still sits at #4.

How JB was the first coach to really take advantage of TV and ESPN. He recruited from coast to coast.

By and large it was all stuff that I’ve never heard anybody talk about in detail. This guy did a lot of research and analysis and he was right on the money and it was good to hear.

I didn't see any of the half time, just the in game stuff. I did see the post game with the Reafsnyder, Western NY, and Rochester University references.

I didn't see any of the half time, just the in game stuff. I did see the post game with the Reafsnyder, Western NY, and Rochester University references.

We're talking about two different things then man so my apologies. The in game stuff i wasn't paying attention to what they were saying. Because of my crazy kids i have developed this innate ability to tune out background noise. Announcers are background noise.

If you can believe it I can watch a Duke game and tune out Duke Vitale.

Do you actually follow Syracuse basketball?? He does recruit certain types of players to play the zone defense and the zone transition offense. As far as talents go, yes the players are different, but as far as body type/physical attritbutes, JB recruits players to fit the zone. That is where he is different from coaches like PayPalCal. Cal recruits players then creates offenses/defenses to match those players. JB creates the offenses/defenses then recruits the players to meet those needs. Read this article, it lays out pretty well how JB recruits and coaches: http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...-elite-status-every-season-college-basketball

Next time before crititzing you may want to get a little more knowledge on the subject...just trying to help you out...

Since 1985, son. Not an eternity, but based on your lack of perspective or history, I'm wagering you're relatively new to the team.

So, you base your noncogent 'argument' on something you've read, which probably mimics the inaccurate slurpfest we're discussing in this thread? You're watching SU with tinted glasses, 'friend.'

You say JB recruits specific body types to play in the zone. So, you couldn't distinguish between the body types of Pearl Washington, Sherm Douglas, Michael Edwards, Billy Edelin, GMac, Flynn, Jardine, Triche, MCW, and Ennis? You don't see the variances in height, musculature, style of play, or skill set?

How about Wendell Alexis, Howard Triche, Preston Shumpert, Paul Harris, and CJ Fair?

What you're seeing is what you were told to see. ESPN's Dakich told you they all fit the zone and you found an ESPN article that says the same thing, so it's empirical evidence, right?

A simple set of truths: JB recruits guys who can play his zone. Anyone can play his zone.
Some will play it better than others. Some will be on teams that, collectively, play it better than other teams. And that's it. You can contrive and twist other 'facts' as you like, but it doesn't make them truths.

As was just shown, you can't listen to commentators and trust they know what they're saying. If you did, you'd be under the impression that SU has played exclusively zone since the 70s, and that JB is the sole reason kids want to play in Syracuse, and that SU has been the best team in the conference every year. It's editorial TV, not news. The standard of journalism has slipped considerably in the past 25 years, because there are 18 ESPN channels with a lot of air to fill and a lot of beer to sell.

I understand all that but they were glowing not only about Boeheim but about Syracuse. They mentioned Desko and Lacrosse, and they mentioned the softball team…they talked about how great our sports programs are (or improving) and the commitment to sports excellence is because of what JB has done. He's set the bar at Syracuse and because of him sports will always matter at SU.

Otis Hill started, but point taken.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

...It's editorial TV, not news. The standard of journalism has slipped considerably in the past 25 years, because there are 18 ESPN channels with a lot of air to fill and a lot of beer to sell.

This is what bothers me. It's supposed to be news, or at least newsy. It's not supposed to be a pep rally. Whether it's Syracuse or Duke, this sort of broadcasting tone is unpleasant to listen to.

I'm sure Greenberg knows his basketball, too. It's great when hoops guys like Tim Welsh call an SU game. It's better when they stick to the analysis and cut down on the rah-rah stuff and the hyperbole. There are plenty of other places for people to get their fix of that shtick.

This is what bothers me. It's supposed to be news, or at least newsy. It's not supposed to be a pep rally. Whether it's Syracuse or Duke, this sort of broadcasting tone is unpleasant to listen to.

I'm sure Greenberg knows his basketball, too. It's great when hoops guys like Tim Welsh call an SU game. It's better when they stick to the analysis and cut down on the rah-rah stuff and the hyperbole. There are plenty of other places for people to get their fix of that shtick.

When the game is against a mid major and there is a 30 point difference why bother? The only ones left watching are Syracuse fans. ESPN needs to sell airtime during a low point in the season. 900 wins will be one of the biggest stories in CBB this year so why not cover it? They need to pimp it and JB during games and so that the story gets more coverage during other ESPN broadcasts/shows.

the top it was ridiculous.

One year ago they were trying to run the guy out on a rail, and now the whole approach makes Vitale look like a K hater.

And now they are turning the run to 900 into a big feature for the first part of the season.

There's nothing wrong with recognizing what the guy has done and noteing it, but that was laid on way to thick.

My wife came home announced the kids had no games and were shipped off somewhere, the house was clean, no laundry to do and she decided she was interested in some action for two straight hour.
I said it was ridiculous and therefore said "no, it won't be enjoyable."

Was it over the top? Absolutely...if you're a gtown or uconn fan!

For the rest of us, let's just enjoy it, we're do for some make up positive publicity...

When the game is against a mid major and there is a 30 point difference why bother? The only ones left watching are Syracuse fans. ESPN needs to sell airtime during a low point in the season. 900 wins will be one of the biggest stories in CBB this year so why not cover it? They need to pimp it and JB during games and so that the story gets more coverage during other ESPN broadcasts/shows.

No, it's good to cover it. I appreciate it, and I'm sure all the Syracuse fans who don't live in the Syracuse market really appreciate it. I've only seen the first half of the broadcast and it was too cheerleader-ish for my taste. I don't want to hear myself or my fellow-fans calling the game; I want to hear relatively objective broadcasters.

Just got a chance to watch the postgame; thought Dakich was pretty interesting. Liked the Reafsnyder bit.

As I said before in this thread, I loved Dan Dakich's pro-SU rant and he was spot on, including some far-afield Cuse references (Gary Gait, John Desko, etc.) to make his points.

The one thing Dakich missed, though, was the evolution of the SUBB program under JB and his staff (yes, and props to Bernie for his contributions as well):
Stage 1: making competitive teams out of projects and under-the-radar players (remember when JB was lauded for evaluating talent in ways no one else saw -- Leo Rautins, Red Bruin, Erich Santifer, Raf Addison, Wendell Alexis, et. al.);
Stage 2: Getting an occasional blue-chip player and filling in with a few 4-year role players to make up a good 6-7 man roster (e.g., Billy Owens, Pearl Washington, Melo); and now
Stage 3: Blue-chip players penciled in 2 years ahead with a constant turnover of 9-man talent (only in the last two years). No, JB has not always had the luxury of picking only the top players that fit his system; it's taken 35 years to get to that point. Props to SU for recognizing a great coach and sticking with him. The program's continuity is unparalleled, which is why I've been a fan for so long.-VBOF

My girlfriend and I watched the whole game, and we wanted to f*****g puke. I actually turned the game off before the scrubs got a chance to heave wild shots.

And I'm one of those projected approval freaks who clicks on that "what they're saying about SU Basketball" link on Syracuse.com.

My girlfriend and I watched the whole game, and we wanted to f*****g puke. I actually turned the game off before the scrubs got a chance to heave wild shots.

And I'm one of those projected approval freaks who clicks on that "what they're saying about SU Basketball" link on Syracuse.com.
what are you talking about man?

what are you talking about man?

The constant obsequiousness; especially in the second half. Endless brown-nosing, in other words. Some play by play would have been nice. It didn't occur to me until too late to turn off the sound, and turn on WAER, but that used to bug me because the radio would show a basket (audio-ally - I know that ain't a word) about 2 seconds before the tv.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom