I hate to be that guy, but... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

I hate to be that guy, but...

I feel like you guys have had tacky uniforms for a solid decade now also. Why not just go back to this super fresh Michael Vick look?

6_5354953.jpg
That was a great look.

Everybody knew it was Va Tech.

I graduated from SUID (Industrial Design). One aspect of ID is the ability to create corporate identity programs, brand identity, naming, etc. This part of ID was the one I enjoyed most. My 15 minutes of fame was creating the York Peppermint Pattie logo for Hershey and reflective silver package and the Browning Logo for the Browning Fire Arms Co.

The reason I am stating part of what I do as a designer is related to the uniforms, helmets, helmets and identity (logo) is that every time I look at a brand, (football related), and its parts from the logos placement on a helmet to the many items with the logo including corporate stationery I can't help but have an opinion about the logo and accompanying color(s).

There are two schools of thought in regards to the logo/brand which fans react to. The old school and new school. In other words the logo representing Syracuse is in my opinion an old school letter with its block S look as opposed to a more contemporary look such as the Oregon O or Miami's U. Virginia Tech recently updated it's VT to a better relating V to T. People, and fans have very strong opinions on either and I wondered how many on this board favor the old vs the more modern. The more modern version of a Syracuse S would be the one on the lacrosse helmets on the media guide.

This is not about the uniforms but the identity of the program, school everything. Any opinions on what you think represents a school in the best way possible? Old, New?

I graduated from SUID (Industrial Design). One aspect of ID is the ability to create corporate identity programs, brand identity, naming, etc. This part of ID was the one I enjoyed most. My 15 minutes of fame was creating the York Peppermint Pattie logo for Hershey and reflective silver package and the Browning Logo for the Browning Fire Arms Co.

The reason I am stating part of what I do as a designer is related to the uniforms, helmets, helmets and identity (logo) is that every time I look at a brand, (football related), and its parts from the logos placement on a helmet to the many items with the logo including corporate stationery I can't help but have an opinion about the logo and accompanying color(s).

There are two schools of thought in regards to the logo/brand which fans react to. The old school and new school. In other words the logo representing Syracuse is in my opinion an old school letter with its block S look as opposed to a more contemporary look such as the Oregon O or Miami's U. Virginia Tech recently updated it's VT to a better relating V to T. People, and fans have very strong opinions on either and I wondered how many on this board favor the old vs the more modern. The more modern version of a Syracuse S would be the one on the lacrosse helmets on the media guide.

This is not about the uniforms but the identity of the program, school everything. Any opinions on what you think represents a school in the best way possible? Old, New?

Love the Block "S"

One of the best decisions made by Dr. Gross - he brought back that outstanding brand.

It depends on what you’re selling.

If you have no tradition, you’re selling the future (new school). That truth is especially true if you have resources at your disposal (money, recruiting, etc.) and you’ve just been underachieving. (See Oregon - Nike money, Miami - recruiting, VT - recruiting)

If you have a ton of tradition, you’re selling the past (old school). That truth is especially true if you don’t have the resources that you once had vs everyone else. (See Michigan - still huge, but definitively not ‘the’ top dog, Syracuse, ND - See Michigan, and Pitt - nolonger in serious contention to win a NC)

The northeast is fighting an uphill battle with college future, but the remaining powers have a great past. We should 100% be pushing our history. Other schools might not want to take that approach - esp. upstarts in talent-rich areas and/or schools that fell into money.

Seems like a given that they’ll wait until we come out of the tunnel against Clemson to reveal the new uni’s right?

I don’t get why we can’t just announce the new uniforms if we have them.

We don’t need this gigantic unveiling they tried to do last time.

Just show the new uniforms and get the positive press for them.

Waiting till the Clemson game would just be dumb. If we wanted to wear special throwback jerseys for that game cool keep that a secret but if we have new uniforms just show them.

Really hoping the worst thing about our new uniforms is a cheesy sax playing in the reveal tweet.

Nike did right by Pitt. They can’t possibly muck ours up again, right?

Right!?!?!
I wish I had confidence in Nike but I don’t.
If we get good jerseys JW will have done well.

I have a hard time believing the program and athletic department have no say.
Of course the athletic department has a say.
Which is why our last new uniforms in 2014 were so bad and that was on Dr. Gross he didn’t even have an idea what the fanbase would like.

We have to give JW the benefit of the doubt to realize he knows what the fans want.

Which is why our last new uniforms in 2014 were so bad and that was on Dr. Gross he didn’t even have an idea what the fanbase would like.

We have to give JW the benefit of the doubt to realize he knows what the fans want.

I believe I've read a few comments from JW that he is aware of the general uniform feelings.

I believe I've read a few comments from JW that he is aware of the general uniform feelings.

When asked, Wildhack said that sometimes new apparel agreements are accompanied by uniform re-designs, a wish that a number of Syracuse football fans have been clamoring for since the current design in 2014 received mixed reviews.
The issues mentioned most often in the current design include the minimal use of orange on the team’s blue and platinum jerseys, as well as oddly-shaped numbers that Nike said were designed to evoke “the New York City skyline.”
The platinum jerseys were particularly poorly received by fans and have been used sparingly since they debuted.
“Well, time will tell,” Wildhack said, when asked if new uniforms were a possibility. “Sometimes they do (get included in a new contract). Not all the time. But sometimes they do.”
Syracuse University has scheduled its spring football game for April 13, and has ramped up the events surrounding it in an effort to turn it into a bigger event.
When asked if the debut of new uniforms might be included to add even more excitement, Wildhack offered this response: “No. But we listen to the feedback of the fans.”

Syracuse AD John Wildhack on new Nike deal, potential for new football uniforms