I hate to see posts trashing our players | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I hate to see posts trashing our players

Ky Bowman, Naz Little, Ty Jerome, Kyle Guy, Jaylen Hoard from Wake, Alexander-Walker for VA Tech, Kabengele for Fla State, Dewan Hernandez for Miami.
Jerome, Alexander-Walker, Naz Little, and Kabengele were all drafted in the first round! Guy, Hernandez, and Hoard were both second round. They weren’t marginal NBA guys. Lots of ACC players with marginal pro prospects stayed at their schools another season—or they’re players who know they have a good shot to be drafted in 2020 with another year of seasoning and growth.

Jerome, Alexander-Walker, Naz Little, and Kabengele were all drafted in the first round! Guy, Hernandez, and Hoard were both second round. They weren’t marginal NBA guys. Lots of ACC players with marginal pro prospects stayed at their schools another season—or they’re players who know they have a good shot to be drafted in 2020 with another year of seasoning and growth.

Tyler Lydon was drafted in the first round and is now out of the league. They absolutely are marginal NBA guys. There’s lottery picks these days that are marginal NBA guys.

Who is our second best player?

thats a good question actually. I bet you’d get a lot of different opinions.

oshae was a 20 year old soph last season. do you really think he was a finished product?

let's ruminate on the fact that he's earned a partial roster spot on the defending nba champs & current owners of the 3rd best record in the association

I think Oshae could definitley get better...I'm just not confident he would have here.

thats a good question actually. I bet you’d get a lot of different opinions.
I'm not sure any of the guys up for that honor would start on the other ACC teams. You can't just say there are 70 starters on the other ACC teams, you have to go position by position. Would Buddy start for any of the teams at the 2 guard (maybe, but probably not)? Would Girard start at PG for anyone else (solid maybe)? Would Marek start (doubtful)? Sidibe (hahahaha - no)?

I'm not sure any of the guys up for that honor would start on the other ACC teams. You can't just say there are 70 starters on the other ACC teams, you have to go position by position. Would Buddy start for any of the teams at the 2 guard (maybe, but probably not)? Would Girard start at PG for anyone else (solid maybe)? Would Marek start (doubtful)? Sidibe (hahahaha - no)?

I'm leaving the ACC starter question alone, but will redirect back to the issue of minutes. It seems likely that Boeheim, Girard and Dolezaj, are all going to see 35+ minutes/game this season. If any of these guys were on an SU team of the past 30 years, would they get that kind of playing time? I might be forgetting a circumstance where it's probable, but I can't think of one.

So as I read posts that lambaste these guys for their flaws, I can't help but think that they're being put in an unfair position where those flaws are being exposed. On a team with substantially more depth, Girard is getting spot duty, and may not even play at all during ACC games. Boeheim is likely a 10-15 minute guy who's job is solely to pop 3s. Dolezaj would be a 7th man who could lean on his passing ability.

Sadly, this reminds me of the Troy Nunes situation from 20 years ago. The guy had massive flaws in his game, and took a lot of abuse. But the true failure was on the coaches for not landing an adequate replacement for McNabb, and forcing Nunes to start as a freshman, when he really shouldn't have seen the field until he was a junior (and probably should have been playing safety).

yes it's early and yes the numbers may be skewed by weaker competition,but that is the same for every school.

so here is how some of our guys rank among acc players in various statistical categories, courtesy of kenpom

whether or not this means our guys could start for other acc teams or not, i think many people are going to be surprised. and i think its clear that our guys, young as they are, are for the most part pretty competitively ranked among acc rotation players

offensive rating (minimum 40% of team minutes played). 95 qualified players
elijah 10
marek 14
bourama 22
jgiii 46
buddy 64
quincy 83

effective fg% (minimum 60% of minutes played) 59 qualified players
marek 12
elijah 14
jgiii 33
buddy 34

true shooting% (minimum 60% of minutes played) 59 qualified players
elijah 11
marek 19
jgiii 26
buddy 45

offensive rebounding % (minimum 40% minutes played) 95 qualified players
bourama 16
quincy 17
marek 24
eiljah 89
buddy 91
jgiii 95

defensive rebounding % (minimum 40% minutes played) 95 qualified players
bourama 10
quincy 11
elijah 51
marek 63
jgiii 83
buddy 89

block percentage (minimum 40% minutes played) 95 qualified players
quincy 9
elijah 15
bourama 18
marek 28
buddy 55
jgiii 63

steal percentage (minimum 40% minutes played) 95 qualified players
jgiii 3
marek 18
buddy 48
quincy 52
elijah 58
bourama 61

assist rate (minimum 40% minutes played) 95 qualified players
jgiii 5
elijah 11
buddy 21
marek 40
quincy 90
bourama 92

Why? Boeheim does it all the time! That's why they are such un confident shrinking violets

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom