I have to ask | Syracusefan.com

I have to ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Consigliere

Co 2020 Cali Award Winner, Record Thru 5 Games
Honest question. What motivates people to post negative, snarky comments on a fan forum? Do they think they can change things? Do they simply feel the need to vent? Or do they just want to be trolls and stir the pot.
Nothing wrong with some second guessing or critical debate, but to me at least when it crosses the line of attacking individual players, coaches and other posters there is nothing productive that can transpire.

11b88cab808ce050086c58a8926ddce8.jpg

Honest question. What motivates people to post negative, snarky comments on a fan forum? Do they think they can change things? Do they simply feel the need to vent? Or do they just want to be trolls and stir the pot.
Nothing wrong with some second guessing or critical debate, but to me at least when it crosses the line of attacking individual players, coaches and other posters there is nothing productive that can transpire.
It seems as though the board is steered and skewed in that direction.

I will bite. As someone who has posted threads and similar long opinions around being optimistic and not unnecessarily pessimistic, for me it's about sharing in the sentiment that things are not all well and that many are not thrilled with the idea of offering support financially to a program that doesn't feel committed to helping itself in the current downturn. For those who don't know my posting record and labeling me or coming at me for criticism it's been a bit frustrating because optimism has been my M.O. and still is generally speaking.

Also- when things are as they are right now, posting a fools gold positive seems pointless to me. In a forum of discussion the genesis of the conversation is likely to be flavored congruent with the status of the program. The old "meltdowns" were flashes in the pan of a passionate fan base.

SU Hoops is a brand and a part of all our lives here. That part is wounded pretty badly right now. Negative or positive it's passion based for sure.

There is nothing wrong with being positive. But being confrontational in being positive as is happening and confrontation when negative which has happened too is few and far between but also has no place.

Right now it's about ensuring that the forums that have a voice small or not are representative of how the fanbase and alums feel who use that medium. Right now I am not sure how anyone could feel good about the program. That said there is not a complete abandoning ship here. We still care. Last night's game thread was a litany of positive comments with the normal criticisms in years past.

As someone who has felt there was too many negative posts in the past, I think the criticism today is both warranted and fair and makes sense. Not everyone feels the need to write letters to JW or make comments on the radio so this is another outlet.

Anonymity.

It’s not so much the negativity. It’s how that negativity is displayed. There’s a big difference between critiquing/being critical and trashing/mocking a player or coach. We have far too much trashing/mocking. Surprised some people don’t know the difference.

It’s not so much the negativity. It’s how that negativity is displayed. There’s a big difference between critiquing/being critical and trashing/mocking a player or coach. We have far too much trashing/mocking. Surprised some people don’t know the difference.

Very much know the difference whether that was directed indirectly at my response or not.

Just saying.

You sir are the winner.

I don't know. Maybe for some who get deleted but I've seen ample over share and not be shy who also share criticisms. Anonymity plays a role in any form of virtual confrontation- the non confrontational criticisms not at all. I've seen the attacks by those who don't like any criticism (including fair) as well who are positive about the team but confrontational with other posters. I can speak directly of being the target on that.

Just my two cents.

It’s not anonymity. This place pretty much mirrors the rest of social media.

I’ve given JB the benefit of doubt for years until this year.

We are way too good of a program to not win at least 20 regular season games every year. Fans are frustrated with losing games we always used to win.

I will bite. As someone who has posted threads and similar long opinions around being optimistic and not unnecessarily pessimistic, for me it's about sharing in the sentiment that things are not all well and that many are not thrilled with the idea of offering support financially to a program that doesn't feel committed to helping itself in the current downturn. For those who don't know my posting record and labeling me or coming at me for criticism it's been a bit frustrating because optimism has been my M.O. and still is generally speaking.

Also- when things are as they are right now, posting a fools gold positive seems pointless to me. In a forum of discussion the genesis of the conversation is likely to be flavored congruent with the status of the program. The old "meltdowns" were flashes in the pan of a passionate fan base.

SU Hoops is a brand and a part of all our lives here. That part is wounded pretty badly right now. Negative or positive it's passion based for sure.

There is nothing wrong with being positive. But being confrontational in being positive as is happening and confrontation when negative which has happened too is few and far between but also has no place.

Right now it's about ensuring that the forums that have a voice small or not are representative of how the fanbase and alums feel who use that medium. Right now I am not sure how anyone could feel good about the program. That said there is not a complete abandoning ship here. We still care. Last night's game thread was a litany of positive comments with the normal criticisms in years past.

As someone who has felt there was too many negative posts in the past, I think the criticism today is both warranted and fair and makes sense. Not everyone feels the need to write letters to JW or make comments on the radio so this is another outlet.
I don’t question the criticism when it is presented as part of a rational, logical debate. What I don’t understand is the emotional lashing out with no apparent productive intent.
“Why would you punt with three minutes left down 10” or “He has to take that shot when they give it to him” vs. “We suck” or “He’s too fat and slow. Wasted scholarship “
Honestly curious. After posting something that leans to the latter does the poster feel like he or she accomplished something? And if the answer is just “It makes me feel better to vent and get my frustrations off my chest” I’ll understand. Won’t necessarily agree with the approach, but I’ll understand.

I don’t question the criticism when it is presented as part of a rational, logical debate. What I don’t understand is the emotional lashing out with no apparent productive intent.
“Why would you punt with three minutes left down 10” or “He has to take that shot when they give it to him” vs. “We suck” or “He’s too fat and slow. Wasted scholarship “
Honestly curious. After posting something that leans to the latter does the poster feel like he or she accomplished something? And if the answer is just “It makes me feel better to vent and get my frustrations off my chest” I’ll understand. Won’t necessarily agree with the approach, but I’ll understand.
Agreed. Those posts are dumb. Just as dumb as fans who mock and downplay past success because they are mad about what is happening now.

So I can't speak to the latter of the examples as that isnt my style ever. I've not seen those in high volume ( assuming those get removed?).

I guess that lashing out is possibly ventilation- but for the most part not the commonality.

I will say that we do have an issue as well with at times those presenting the former examples and being jumped on as being hateful and disrespectul of the coach/players too even if it is completely objective and fair assessment. I don't understand that either as to me coming after a poster(s) for expressing those views is an unnecessary attack and too personal. There is no place for the personal or borderline personal attacks on players/coaches or posters. I think the majority I read on here represents none of that.

Last edited:

Let me turn it around. What would motivate people to write blind hero-worship posts and delusional takes on our team? None of the behavior you find on sports boards makes "sense" in the way you're talking about it.

And a board filled with happy talk under the current circumstances would be just as weird and off-putting to me. I'm not sure you'd want that.

Status
Not open for further replies.