I have to ask | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

I have to ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Georgetown wasn’t scheduled as a cupcake. Brown replaced Lehigh. Four cupcakes isn’t a lot.
Georgetown was preseason 10th in the BE poll.
They weren’t projected good and we were favored in that game.

Georgetown has sucked big time since we joined the ACC.
They are 4-3 against us in the time.
That is pathetic.
They have finished 8th, 9th, 7th, 7th, 6th, 8th, right now 11th.

We shouldn’t be 3-4 against them and its our fault.

My freshman year (1994-95), we won 20 games and needed one NCAA tournament game to get there. I don’t remember anyone making the distinction or stating the season was unsuccessful. Not one student. Nothing from the DO (and Thamel was on staff) or the PS.
The 94-95 team was ranked in the Top 25 the entire season and in the Top 10 for about a month and a half in Jan/Feb. If Moten wasn't a total bimbo in both the BET (5-second count) and NCAA (timeout), that team could have done much more.

20 wins in the regular season doesn't mean what it used to because we simply play more regular-season games. In the 80s/90s we played about 27 regular-season games. If you go 20-7, you're probably looking at a 5-6 seed in the tourney. Today if we win 20 games, we are probably going like 20-12, which is squarely on the bubble.

They then are a tomato can to quote Bayside. A game vs a weak non conference opponent that wasn't scheduled as an easy win but none the less should have been.

Colgate, Gtown, VCU- games you should not lose and would not if the program was near where it should be. Then conference play- UVA, Pitt and at Miami with a big lead. That is 15-5 likely ranked and looking at seeding.
Agree to disagree on VCU. That wasn’t a bad loss by any means. Ugly? Sure.

To add to your point, though, we should have swept Wake and FSU.

Georgetown was preseason 10th in the BE poll.
They weren’t projected good and we were favored in that game.

Georgetown has sucked big time since we joined the ACC.
They are 4-3 against us in the time.
That is pathetic.
They have finished 8th, 9th, 7th, 7th, 6th, 8th, right now 11th.

We shouldn’t be 3-4 against them and its our fault.
We shouldn’t and it is. They still weren’t scheduled as a cupcake.

The 94-95 team was ranked in the Top 25 the entire season and in the Top 10 for about a month and a half in Jan/Feb. If Moten wasn't a total bimbo in both the BET (5-second count) and NCAA (timeout), that team could have done much more.

20 wins in the regular season doesn't mean what it used to because we simply play more regular-season games. In the 80s/90s we played about 27 regular-season games. If you go 20-7, you're probably looking at a 5-6 seed in the tourney. Today if we win 20 games, we are probably going like 20-12, which is squarely on the bubble.
Nevertheless, that team won 19 regular season games.

I think you’re helping to make my point. The distinction wasn’t made until recently. 20 wins was 20 wins.

Agree to disagree on VCU. That wasn’t a bad loss by any means. Ugly? Sure.

To add to your point, though, we should have swept Wake and FSU.

So for me the VCU issue is we had one of our best defensive performances of the season against them efficiency wise with an offensively strong team. So it was a huge miss and not great NET ranked team. It was a game we needed and should have had if we were where we should be.

The whole 20 win thing was really important during the Big East years because it essentially meant you were going to get selected for the NCAA Tournament, which happened fairly routinely. That was the significance of 20 wins during the regular season. I remember years ago eyeing that number each regular season because it was usually the difference between the NCAA and NIT tournament.

VCU has beaten the other 2 top teams in the A10, Dayton and Davidson, and is 1 game out of first place. The A10 is the strongest mid major conference and will probably be a multiple bid league for the NCAAT.

VCU has beaten the other 2 top teams in the A10, Dayton and Davidson, and is 1 game out of first place. The A10 is the strongest mid major conference and will probably be a multiple bid league for the NCAAT.

They are 56 in the NET. We had one of the top defensive performances of the year with a team that excels on offense. This is a game you win when you are where you should be. It's a game in early season tourneys that normal SU teams win. Your editorial of VCU doesn't change facts.

Do yourself a favor and look up early season tourney performances before 2015. The last good one was the final four year. Facts and data do matter.

I posted our defensive numbers for every game in a separate thread you can look at.

So for me the VCU issue is we had one of our best defensive performances of the season against them efficiency wise with an offensively strong team. So it was a huge miss and not great NET ranked team. It was a game we needed and should have had if we were where we should be.
No question. It just wasn’t a gimme. They’re one of the better teams in the Atlantic 10 and could be a tournament team (currently 56th in NET). We’ve lost a lot of games like that in the past. Again, going back to my freshman year, we lost our first game to GW, an NIT team.

We always play a holiday tournament now we are just losing multiple games at these events.

Its been losing to Georgetown and mid majors we never did before.

Our schedule isn’t the issue.
Its talent on the roster.

Syracuse shouldn’t be losing to VCU, Pennsylvania State, Oklahoma State, Oregon, UConn every single holiday tournament.
Losing to Kansas happens.

Those losses plus losing to Old Diminion, Buffalo, St. Bonaventure, and Georgetown make our nonconferences not what they used to be.

Then we go 9-9 in ACC play.

Reminds me of the old belief that the better the team the easier their schedule looks and same holds true for the opposite.

They are 56 in the NET. We had one of the top defensive performances of the year with a team that excels on offense. This is a game you win when you are where you should be. It's a game in early season tourneys that normal SU teams win. Your editorial of VCU doesn't change facts.

Do yourself a favor and look up early season tourney performances before 2015. The last good one was the final four year. Facts and data do matter.

I posted our defensive numbers for every game in a separate thread you can look at.
We lost to Memphis at MSG the year we won it all.

VCU got an invite to Atlantis because they are strong program and were projected to have a big year. Atlantis doesn't invite tomato cans.

Not gonna lie, I have not and will not read this whole thing so I apologize if already mentioned. Watch "The Social Dilemma" on Netflix. Not only is it a fantastic watch, but you will walk away from it knowing exactly how we are where we are. And you'll be disappointed to know that it is being done intentionally to make money.

No question. It just wasn’t a gimme. They’re one of the better teams in the Atlantic 10 and could be a tournament team (currently 56th in NET). We’ve lost a lot of games like that in the past. Again, going back to my freshman year, we lost our first game to GW, an NIT team.

So to take a look going backwards at early season tourney/tip offs.

21-22 - VCUL, Arizona StW, AuburnL, Nova L.
20-21- No tourney CoVid Year.
19-20- OK St, Penn State (2 losses)
18-19-UConn, Oregon (2 losses)
17-18- Kansas L, UConn W(Awful Uconn team)
16-17- South Caro, UConn (2 losses)
15-16- Charlotte Uconn TAM (3 wins)
14-15- Cal L, MinnW
13-14- Minn, Cal, Baylor 3 wins
12-13- SDST ( win)
11-12 VT and Stanford (2 wins)
10-11 - Michigan/GT (2 wins)
09-10- Cal and UNC (2 wins)
08-09 - Kansas and Florida (2 wins)
07-08 - Ohio StateL Washington W
06-07 - Oklahoma St- L
05-06 Texas Tech W, FloridaL
04-05 - MS St and Memphis (2 wins)
03-04 - St Bona (W)
02-03 - Memphis (L)
01-02 - Michigan State and Wake (2 wins)
00-01- DePaul, Ohio State, Missouri (3 wins)
99-00- No neutral site tip off tourney
98-99 - Michigan and Indiana (2 wins)
97-98 St LouisW, TCUW, MichiganL ( mid season tourney)
96-97- UK L
95-96- IllinoisW, URIW, UMassL
94-95- No tourney
93-94 -No Tourney
92-93- No Tourney

We could do a bad losses one too but this makes it pretty clear to me about the reality of our program. Non conference success has been few and far between and the regular season has played out accordingly each of those years. We did sneak in a in vs Ohio State in 18-19 and IU this year wrapped around a lot of losing in important resume games.

Last edited:
VCU got an invite to Atlantis because they are strong program and were projected to have a big year. Atlantis doesn't invite tomato cans.

As always - ignore the facts and deflect (Check)
Make subjective statement and claim something you don't know (Check)

FYI- pre season 4-6th place A10 teams rarely are projected for big things. Not to mention a team with one player projected to make the all conference teams.

Here is the 3MW A10 preview. #5, a team with many unknowns and some upside. No big things to be found. Atlantic 10 2021-22 Preview — Three-Man-Weave

Last edited:
So to take a look going backwards at early season tourney/tip offs.

21-22 - VCUL, Arizona StW, AuburnL, Nova L.
20-21- No tourney CoVid Year.
19-20- OK St, Penn State (2 losses)
18-19-UConn, Oregon (2 losses)
17-18- Kansas L, UConn W(Awful Uconn team)
16-17- South Caro, UConn (2 losses)
15-16- Charlotte Uconn TAM (3 wins)
14-15- Cal L, MinnW
13-14- Minn, Cal, Baylor 3 wins
12-13- SDST ( win)
11-12 VT and Stanford (2 wins)
10-11 - Michigan/GT (2 wins)
09-10- Cal and UNC (2 wins)
08-09 - Kansas and Florida (2 wins)
07-08 - Ohio StateL Washington W
06-07 - Oklahoma St- L
05-06 Texas Tech W, Florida
04-05 - MS St and Memphis (2 wins)
03-04 - St Bona (W)
02-03 - Memphis (L)
01-02 - Michigan State and Wake (2 wins)
00-01- DePaul, Ohio State, Missouri (3 wins)
99-00- No neutral site tip off tourney
98-99 - Michigan and Indiana (2 wins)
97-98 St LouisW, TCUW, MichiganL ( mid season tourney)
96-97- UK L
95-96- IllinoisW, URIW, UMassL
94-95- No tourney
93-94 -No Tourney
92-93- No Tourney

We could do a bad losses one too but this makes it pretty clear to me about the reality of our program. Non conference success has been few and far between and the regular season has played out accordingly each of those years. We did sneak in a in vs Ohio State in 18-19 and IU this year wrapped around a lot of losing in important resume games.
Good job.
The program used to be elite.
Now the program is plucky and can win some games in the tournament but not good enough to win it all.

The HC jsn’t stupid he knows it.
He finally changed his attitude publicly after we lost to Pitt last week.

The program has changed. If fans like Day are okay with that its fine.

We just need to stop pretending this program is elite and the HC has completely different expectations.

As always - ignore the facts and deflect (Check)
Make subjective statement and claim something you don't know (Check)
I know it doesn't fit your narrative, but VCU is a very well coached and dangerous team. Coolgate has been to 4 Patriot league championship game and made the NCAAT twice, would have been 3 times if the tourney wasn't canceled. They are in first place in their league now. They don't fit the definition of a tcan and playing them in the 3rd game of the season was a huge advantage for their veteran laden team. If the Orange were to play them now, it would be a different story.

From 2008 to 2014 our average record overall was 30-7. We played on average 11 ranked teams each year during that time period.

From 2014 until now we have an average record of 20 and 13 and we play on average 8 ranked teams a year. The schedule overall was tougher when we were in the Big East. So while we have may have less tomato cans on the schedule the ACC overall is much weaker than the Big East we left.

Status
Not open for further replies.