I have to ask | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I have to ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
He hasn't been ready to play at this level of competition up to this point. It's a big jump to make. He's on it now, I do believe.
He literally didn’t get off the bench till 3 minutes left the previous game and you say this.

I just hope he gets 10 MPG game now.
If what you said was true the chef puts him in that game in the second half.
Jimmy didn’t need to play 19 minutes. He wasn’t giving us what Cole and Buddy were and Benny is better defensively.

The Chef hasn’t shown what you said.

No, it’s not my intention at all. I am simply trying to understand if posting a negative post, not to be confused with legitimate criticism of performance or strategy, makes the poster feel better or self fulfilled in any way.
People often get addicted to negative feedback loops. They then become entropic and have a dark outlook on the world.

He literally didn’t get off the bench till 3 minutes left the previous game and you say this.

I just hope he gets 10 MPG game now.
If what you said was true the chef puts him in that game in the second half.
Jimmy didn’t need to play 19 minutes. He wasn’t giving us what Cole and Buddy were and Benny is better defensively.

The Chef hasn’t shown what you said.
I don't have the chutzpah to think I know better how to get a player ready than a coach with more than a thousand wins.

Why is it we put in our 2 cents worth but only get a penny for our thoughts?

The likely answer is that "my two pennies worth" started from the much older 16th-century English expression, "a penny for your thoughts", possibly a sarcastic response to receiving more opinion than was wanted "I said a penny for your thoughts, but I got two pennies' worth".

Honest question. What motivates people to post negative, snarky comments on a fan forum? Do they think they can change things? Do they simply feel the need to vent? Or do they just want to be trolls and stir the pot.
Nothing wrong with some second guessing or critical debate, but to me at least when it crosses the line of attacking individual players, coaches and other posters there is nothing productive that can transpire.
The great sports philosopher and agent provocateur of the mid 20th century, Al Davis, had the formula of how to stop about 95% of fan griping-

Last edited:
It’s not so much the negativity. It’s how that negativity is displayed. There’s a big difference between critiquing/being critical and trashing/mocking a player or coach. We have far too much trashing/mocking. Surprised some people don’t know the difference.
Exactly Bees. It's what I've said forever that it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

And to get back to Rags topic last week, this is the difference between the board today and what it was previous to sometime in the 2010 + time frame.

Money is the only reason for his friendship with Coach B. Money buys anything...all these people kissin his. A because of $$$$

Ok, clueless troll. His friendship with Coach B was based on money as they are two of the biggest philanthropists in Upstate New York. You have a choice going forward. Keep your ignorant mouth shut and have everyone thing you're a complete moron, or open it and prove them right.

Everything you posted in this thread confirms Consigliere point.

Does it? Perhaps, Consigliere may want to do some reflecting himself?

Was tino's post "attacking" in nature? I didn't necessarily think so, but that's my interpretation based upon my own thinking. Interesting thing about one's thinking, it's 100% their own subject to their interpretation.

Does Consigliere know tino personally or anything about him to ascertain his particular view? It's very unlikely that he does, however, he too has anonymity here, along with the apparent desire within himself to post what he did.

I'm not agreeing with what tino stated per se, who really knows with any certainty what one's true motivations are other than the actual beings themselves. In any event, I really couldn't care less. However, fact is, we all do live in the real world. Moreover, without question, money can buy just about anything, and many/most folks will indeed suck up, kiss arse, etc. to get that sense of importance/significance/mattering, etc. to whatever extent that access may afford them. It's general human nature. And, as others have pointed out, look at the world around us.

Last edited:
Does it? Perhaps, Consigliere may want to do some reflecting himself?

Was tino's post "attacking" in nature? I didn't necessarily think so, but that's my interpretation based upon my own thinking. Interesting thing about one's thinking, it's 100% their own subject to their interpretation.

Does Consigliere know tino personally or anything about him to ascertain his particular view? It's very unlikely that he does, however, he too has anonymity here, along with the apparent desire within himself to post what he did.

I'm not agreeing with what tino stated per se, who really knows with any certainty what one's true motivations are other than the actual beings themselves. In any event, I really couldn't care less. However, fact is, we all do live in the real world. Moreover, without question, money can buy just about anything, and many/most folks will indeed suck up, kiss arse, etc. to get that sense of importance/significance/mattering, etc. to some extent that access may afford them. It's general human nature, as others have pointed out, look at the world around us.
No, but he does know Adam personally and understands his motivation at this point in his life goes far beyond $$$$$.

And to state that to be the case is the definition of clueless.

No, but he does know Adam personally and understands his motivation at this point in his life goes far beyond $$$$$.

does posting that you know the poster is clueless and a moron make you feel like you accomplished something though?

why not just say...”hey man, I know the guy, it’s not true.”

It's not the argument whether or not JB knows Adam personally. The OP, on the broader scope, was in your very first question. "What motivates people to post negative, snarky comments on a fan forum?"

Perhaps, the same thing that motivated you to go after tino in the manner in which you did?

Just try to get that image out of your head. Thanks for ruining my brunch!

Why all the negativity towards that guy? Awful judgmental aren't we? ;)

It's a message board. People say things for all kinds of reasons. Some think of this place as a safe space. It's not. Many posters would do better to keep their thoughts to themselves. IMO.

Honest question. What motivates people to post negative, snarky comments on a fan forum? Do they think they can change things? Do they simply feel the need to vent? Or do they just want to be trolls and stir the pot.
Nothing wrong with some second guessing or critical debate, but to me at least when it crosses the line of attacking individual players, coaches and other posters there is nothing productive that can transpire.

It could be worse.. This is one of the first time I’ve looked at this board in weeks. First time I’ve posted anywhere on here aside from the Bills thread.

I just don’t care right now. This isn’t a LAMP.. who cares if im not posting.. Point being, the enemy of this program isn’t mean, negative, snarky people.. It’s apathy.

I wouldn't call anyone here a 'troll', (but then I don't see the deleted posts. Certain fans have points of view they filter the facts through but they aren't saying negative things just to get a rise out of people for their amusement. It's just fans expressing themselves. When things are going well, you could describe this board as a bunch of pollyannas.

In a city like Syracuse, we engage in what i call 'existential rooting'. In the big cities, they know who they are and so does everyone else. they are on the amp and a big part of it. What they want from their sports teams, (who tend to be professionals: highly paid adults), is that their team live up to their image of their city. If it says "New York" on your jersey, you are supposed to be in first place. If it says "Chicago, you're supposed to the toughest team in the league. if it says "Los Angeles", you're supposed to put on a show.

It's different in Syracuse. Before the happy confluence of the Jim Boeheim Era, ESPN, the Big East and the Dome, whenever our burg got mentioned in the national media, we were always 'Syracuse, New York', to distinguish us from small towns in Ohio, Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Utah or maybe the one in Sicily. When those four things came together, we became "The Cuse" and it's Syracuse basketball, football and to a smaller extent, (because we dominated the sport so much), lacrosse that put us on the map. Minor league baseball and hockey teams can't do that. And we want our SU teams to keep us on the map. First the football teams slide away, then the lacrosse program and now the basketball program seems to be eroding and we can feel ourselves becoming irrelevant. And we blame the people who, in our view, allowed this to happen and aren't doing enough to change it.

That's why we get excited when the lacrosse program hires the games greatest offensive and defensive players to coach the team, (even though they won't be playing for it), or when the football coach retools his staff with people who have been successful elsewhere. And its why people dream of the next basketball coach being a big-name hire that will turn everything around, (as Greg Robinson was supposed to do for the football team).

The only thing that bugs me is when people take the attitude that they want to win more than the coaches and players do. When you think of all they do to prepare for games - the weight room, thousands or shots, drills and scrimmages, on top of a course load and other commitments, and compare it to what fans do to prepare for games, which is likely to be pulling off a flip-top to a beer can, it puts things in better perspective.

I wouldn't call anyone here a 'troll', (but then I don't see the deleted posts. Certain fans have points of view they filter the facts through but they aren't saying negative things just to get a rise out of people for their amusement. It's just fans expressing themselves. When things are going well, you could describe this board as a bunch of pollyannas.

In a city like Syracuse, we engage in what i call 'existential rooting'. In the big cities, they know who they are and so does everyone else. they are on the amp and a big part of it. What they want from their sports teams, (who tend to be professionals: highly paid adults), is that their team live up to their image of their city. If it says "New York" on your jersey, you are supposed to be in first place. If it says "Chicago, you're supposed to the toughest team in the league. if it says "Los Angeles", you're supposed to put on a show.

It's different in Syracuse. Before the happy confluence of the Jim Boeheim Era, ESPN, the Big East and the Dome, whenever our burg got mentioned in the national media, we were always 'Syracuse, New York', to distinguish us from small towns in Ohio, Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Utah or maybe the one in Sicily. When those four things came together, we became "The Cuse" and it's Syracuse basketball, football and to a smaller extent, (because we dominated the sport so much), lacrosse that put us on the map. Minor league baseball and hockey teams can't do that. And we want our SU teams to keep us on the map. First the football teams slide away, then the lacrosse program and now the basketball program seems to be eroding and we can feel ourselves becoming irrelevant. And we blame the people who, in our view, allowed this to happen and aren't doing enough to change it.

That's why we get excited when the lacrosse program hires the games greatest offensive and defensive players to coach the team, (even though they won't be playing for it), or when the football coach retools his staff with people who have been successful elsewhere. And its why people dream of the next basketball coach being a big-name hire that will turn everything around, (as Greg Robinson was supposed to do for the football team).

The only thing that bugs me is when people take the attitude that they want to win more than the coaches and players do. When you think of all they do to prepare for games - the weight room, thousands or shots, drills and scrimmages, on top of a course load and other commitments, and compare it to what fans do to prepare for games, which is likely to be pulling off a flip-top to a beer can, it puts things in better perspective.
SWC - you have proven once again that you are the most rational poster on this board.

Here here.
Or that somehow the coach doesn’t care as much, or even worse, is deliberately playing people because of ulterior motives and not for the best intentions of his team.
Imo, it’s ok to disagree…vehemently, w/ strategy, philosophy, or even evaluations a coach has of his players. But it’s really nonsensical to suggest that these differences in opinion are deliberate, and personal.

does posting that you know the poster is clueless and a moron make you feel like you accomplished something though?

why not just say...”hey man, I know the guy, it’s not true.”
Fairn enough. I took the tone of Tino's post somewhat personally and I was wrong to lash out the way I did. tino if you're reading, I apologize.

And I apologize for all of the fans that rooted against you for not being Donnie Baseball!

Status
Not open for further replies.