I honestly believe in BJ, KalJo, and TyRob | Syracusefan.com

I honestly believe in BJ, KalJo, and TyRob

RealSUFan

Walk On
Being 100% honest here. When I look at these three underclassmen, what I see are players in the mold of Demetris Nichols, Rakeem Christmas, James Southerland, and Jason Hart: All of our current underclassmen are going to be excellent by the time they leave, but we're just seeing them in an early phase right now. They just need more seasoning and confidence.

BJ: He is extremely versatile and oozes talent, but he's still young even as a sophomore because he came to campus when he was only 17. He has already shown flashes of this talent more than once. We know he can shoot well in practice, but shooting well on a big stage is really, really tough, especially for someone young. You need to get over your nerves, and you need to see the ball go in a few times before you can settle down and really believe the ball is going in. That's why we have seen some shooters (like Nichols, Southerland, and Rautins) hit their stride only as a senior. Sometimes it takes being an upperclassmen to give you the confidence you need to shoot as well in a real game as you do in a practice game. It's true that BJ needs to get stronger too, and of course he will, which will help him with his inside game later (which is already underrated). Finally, it's true he's missing some defensive assignments now, but I have no doubt he will eventually hold his own on defense.

KalJo: This guy is going to be *at least* as good as Jason Hart, who was really an excellent PG by his senior year. Being a creative point like Tyler Ennis is not his strength, but eventually he'll be excellent on the break and will be very smart with the ball. He'll also get a lot of rebounds for a PG and learn to use his quickness and speed to his advantage on offense and defense. He'll also improve his shooting to the point where opposing teams will have to guard his shot. I'm seeing him averaging 15 points /4 rebounds / 5 assists per game with an excellent assist-to-turnover ratio before he's done. Finally, does anyone doubt this kid is going to work his a$$ off every day until he's as good as he needs to be? He puts enough pressure on himself. Let's support him throughout the process so that he doesn't get discouraged. He'll get there. Remember, he wasn't even supposed to be starting this year.

TyRob: First, let's not forget the obvious fact that TyRob is injured right now, so you have to dismiss the last few games. But aside from that, and even more so than with the other players, TyRob's difficulty thus far has been in the mental aspect of the game. What I see with TyRob is that he has all the strength and moves he needs in and around the basket, and he can also make the mid-range jumper. More than anything, he just needs more time to grow comfortable and confident out there --in fact, a lot more time than with your average player. This is a very quiet / shy kind of guy -- cockiness is not in him. It will take a while before he truly believes his shots are going down, but when he does believe it, he will be an excellent player. Aside from gaining confidence, TyRob also needs to get acclimated to the speed and strength of the game at the college level, and that will come. What I *don't* doubt is that TyRob has the innate skills needed to become an excellent college player or the support system around him that will help get him to where he needs to be.

it might be nice to have a PG here as a starter for more than 1 year...

Great post. BJ is so young, I tend to forget this.

BJ turns 19 in December.
Buss turns 22 in January.

They are both sophomores, though.

Nothing against Buss, whom I love and think will be a very solid contributor, but BJ if he had prepped and/or been held back like a lot of other kids would be a senior in HS right now and probably a McDonald's All American or close to it.

Great post. BJ is so young, I tend to forget this.

BJ turns 19 in December.
Buss turns 22 in January.

They are both sophomores, though.

Nothing against Buss, whom I love and think will be a very solid contributor, but BJ if he had prepped and/or been held back like a lot of other kids would be a senior in HS right now and probably a McDonald's All American or close to it.
BJ. He's the anti-Plumlee. Cause I could swear all 8 of them are at least 26 years old by now. And. Still. Playing.
:)

I can't believe that there are people already writing off KJ this early into his freshman season. Mind blowing. I believe he will be a great SU PG. You can't convince me otherwise this early into his career. He's not ready. Wasn't expected to be ready. It's going to be refreshing to finally have an experienced PG next year.

I really believe in BJ as well. Really hope JB continues to play him.

Roberson looks like a beaten dog. He's not handling being the whipping boy very well. Hopefully things change when he gets healthy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom