I know he was named most valuable player | Syracusefan.com

I know he was named most valuable player

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
But I thought CJ looked really bad for most of the game. Looking to do too much on offense by himself and not great on D either. I guess we take the good with the bad, but he could do a couple things - pass to open big men for one - to make himself so much better and more attractive for the next level as well.

Ennis was clearly the player of the game. Fox1 must not have been watching. CJ does a lot of great things but he's been a turnover machine this year. But we would not have won without his play down the stretch.

Ennis was clearly the player of the game. Fox1 must not have been watching. CJ does a lot of great things but he's been a turnover machine this year. But we would not have won without his play down the stretch.

Agreed on all accounts. Amazing to think Ennis is just a frosh. So calm and poised.

Other than a couple missed FTs at end, CJ is deserving because he had ice in his blood with those mid range jumpers late to keep Cuse from falling behind and putting them ahead. Maybe CJ and TE deserve co-honors, but CJ should what senior leadership is all about.

But I thought CJ looked really bad for most of the game. Looking to do too much on offense by himself and not great on D either. I guess we take the good with the bad, but he could do a couple things - pass to open big men for one - to make himself so much better and more attractive for the next level as well.

You thought he looked really bad for most of the game?

Okay...

I thought many on the team seemed a bit slow or inattentive on offense today--silly turnovers on lazy passes or lazy attempts to catch the ball. Although Ennis was clutch at the line, we would have blown them away if he had not missed four lay-ups. We won, so none of it matters.

You thought he looked really bad for most of the game?

Okay...

The first 30 minutes or so, yeah. And bad is a comparative term - bad for him is still better than most. His two TOs in a row were pretty poor. He overran that one break to give the Johnies an easy dunk. He had the ball blocked or stripped a bunch of times. Not his usual smooth self.

I'll argue that Grant was the player of the game. Got our offense going in the 2nd half, had a couple HUGE blocks and played his ass off in general.

CJ wasn't getting a whole lotta help offensively second half today. he basically carried us home.

You're probably right, but CJ doesn't look for his mates all that often either. Most of the feeds to the post today came from the other big men - Grant or Rak to Rak or Coleman. When CJ rolls into the lane, just once in awhile, I'd love to see him hit the big man cutting to the hoop for a dunk. I've been on this bit for awhile now and I'm going to stay on it. Because if he really wants to play at the next level, he has to make this a regular part of his game. Playing defense on him is fairly straightforward, albeit difficult. He's going to shoot, drive to shoot, or pass back to the top of the key.

I'll argue that Grant was the player of the game. Got our offense going in the 2nd half, had a couple HUGE blocks and played his ass off in general.

That I don't agree with. Grant had the highlight plays of the game, but he also drove into the abyss a couple times for TOs. Ennis is my player of the day.

The midrange jumper is a thing of beauty. Not many college players are as comfortable with that shot as CJ.

Don't forget our BIGs (DC, RC, BMK): 12 points, 10 rebounds

But as great as Ennis, Fair, and Grant played, I think Silent G shutting down Harrison was the key to the win.

That's the story of this game and we will need equal or better contributions from these guys in the ACC.

The first 30 minutes or so, yeah. And bad is a comparative term - bad for him is still better than most. His two TOs in a row were pretty poor. He overran that one break to give the Johnies an easy dunk. He had the ball blocked or stripped a bunch of times. Not his usual smooth self.

He definitely had some poor unforced turnovers. But I thought he was pretty solid for most of the game [I see your point / clarification, though--no worries]. He was also in foul trouble with 3 fouls early in the second half, and couldn't be as aggressive defensively.

But he stepped up when the game was on the line. It sure is nice having a senior who can make shots.

The midrange jumper is a thing of beauty. Not many college players are as comfortable with that shot as CJ.

and it's almost guaranteed when it comes out of his hand. Which is why I'm sure JB doesn't really mind that he's not sending a pass down low to our bigs that may or may not be caught at all.

You're probably right, but CJ doesn't look for his mates all that often either. Most of the feeds to the post today came from the other big men - Grant or Rak to Rak or Coleman. When CJ rolls into the lane, just once in awhile, I'd love to see him hit the big man cutting to the hoop for a dunk. I've been on this bit for awhile now and I'm going to stay on it. Because if he really wants to play at the next level, he has to make this a regular part of his game. Playing defense on him is fairly straightforward, albeit difficult. He's going to shoot, drive to shoot, or pass back to the top of the key.

He had a really nice feed to Grant inside today for a bucket--big play, when the game was still very much in doubt.

CJ just is not a good passer and never has been. There were a few times when he drew a double and tried to find the open man, but he'd already left his feet and nearly threw the ball away every time. He just doesn't see the passes that are there, or if he does see it it's too late.

CJ running the baseline for mid range jumpers though...there's nobody better! He's nailed some big ones late in games in those situations already this year, including a few huge ones today.

Don't forget our BIGs (DC, RC, BMK): 12 points, 10 rebounds

But as great as Ennis, Fair, and Grant played, I think Silent G shutting down Harrison was the key to the win.

Don't blame DC II. He pulled his weight out there, snagging 4 in just 10 minutes of PT. Heck, CJ only had 5 in 36 minutes. All of our forwards and bigs need to grab them like Grant.

and it's almost guaranteed when it comes out of his hand. Which is why I'm sure JB doesn't really mind that he's not sending a pass down low to our bigs that may or may not be caught at all.

It's funny--I kind of feel the same way. When he shoots a mid-range jumper, I'm at the point where I'm surprised when he misses. Love that shot--lost art.

imo Ennis should be the player of the game by default. Because Fair will always have Grant and a big to rebound his soft shots inside. Ennis showed us we won't always have cooneys offense, and Gbinije brings no offense. He also gets fair and grant the ball when we need him to so is a part of their big plays. We needed ennis to play 40 minutes today and thats not a good thing at all.

Too many silly turnovers and Trevor had little to no impact, but we still won. This team is pretty good!

Enniis was much better than Fair today and he is by far the best player on this team. It's not close.

imo Ennis should be the player of the game by default. Because Fair will always have Grant and a big to rebound his soft shots inside. Ennis showed us we won't always have cooneys offense, and Gbinije brings no offense. He also gets fair and grant the ball when we need him to so is a part of their big plays. We needed ennis to play 40 minutes today and thats not a good thing at all.
Yes and Grant got us more hi percentage shots than TE. I don't see him leading in pts but Grant could turn into our best mismatch by seasons end...

It's funny--I kind of feel the same way. When he shoots a mid-range jumper, I'm at the point where I'm surprised when he misses. Love that shot--lost art.

I wonder if the "advanced metrics" obsessed NBA GM's who seem to think the midrange J is a bad shot, will hurt CJ's draft value.

For the record, I think that fad is insane and will be a big flop. Some of the NBA's best teams make a ton of mid range J's(Spurs for one).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom