I learned nothing from watching that game. | Syracusefan.com

I learned nothing from watching that game.

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
These games are fun and a spectacle. They should count as exhibitions though. These stats should not count. After watching the game, I find it difficult to assess how much of what happened on the defensive end was our team causing havoc vs the conditions causing havoc...Of course its a combo of both, but really, a team that needs to hit threes to win has no chance in such a game.

hard to tell whether turnovers were due to poor play, good defense, or crap conditions.

It was a fun game and all, but anyone that thinks they can really guage something about the team from it are sort of off base.

Watching the game on the internet, and having lived in San Diego for a spell (including having run the San Diego Marathon), I couldn't help but wonder whether I would've paid that much money for a ticket; it seemed to me akin to shelling out big bucks to watch a game on a blustery, clear October afternoon in Thornden Park. I understand the significance and symbolism of the game (Veteran's Day, played on a war ship), but the way the players were slipping and sliding, playing half-blind because of the sun, and having to employ an aeronautical calculation for wind-shear for any shot taken beyond five feet from the basket, the game and the reason for the event might have been better served being played inside.

Having said that, I am glad the Cuse came away the winner, and that no one got injured. Everyone of my uncles on both sides of my family served in the military during WWII (a couple severely wounded), in some of the toughest and bloodiest battles of the war, and I am grateful that the Orange had a hand in commemorating our country's veterans.

Playing against that level of competition in our first game of the season also no doubt gave JB and the coaches solid information on what certain players need to work on in practice and in the upcoming OOC games.

Mostly agree. Shooting observations can be thrown out the window. Very surprised that Fischer obviously game them the green light to hoist up threes.

Playing against that level of competition in our first game of the season also no doubt gave JB and the coaches solid information on what certain players need to work on in practice and in the upcoming OOC games.
I wonder what kind of information. Hmmm ... don't throw up 3's when the wind is gusting to 17 mph. Pack the zone so little guys can't come in. Even JB said at the half when asked what he would tell the team ... "Don't throw the ball up unless you're under the basket (or something along those lines)". Not sure we learned anything from this debacle. And I am positive SD St. learned nothing except don't go to the basket against a much bigger team ... oh, wait. Their main offense is shooting 3's by their very good shooting guards. Maybe JB will put big fans in a Melo Center so the kids can work on shooting 3's against the wind ... or put in big halogen lighting to help them work on shooting with bright sunlight in their eyes. Sorry ... I don't mean to criticize your post I am just soooooo disappointed in that entire venue.

The one thing that I learned from this game is that MCW is going to be able to use his length and athleticism on D to harass quality D1 guards. Loved his ball-hawking and aggressiveness, but he has to be careful to pick his spots & not pick up a bunch of foolish fouls. With him sitting on the bench we will struggle - which was no great revelation. This game also confirmed my expectation that we will use our depth to smother teams when they venture into the paint - even if that means our bigs pick up fouls.

These games are fun and a spectacle. They should count as exhibitions though. These stats should not count. After watching the game, I find it difficult to assess how much of what happened on the defensive end was our team causing havoc vs the conditions causing havoc...Of course its a combo of both, but really, a team that needs to hit threes to win has no chance in such a game.

hard to tell whether turnovers were due to poor play, good defense, or crap conditions.

It was a fun game and all, but anyone that thinks they can really guage something about the team from it are sort of off base.
You're right...games like this should be exhibitions.
But we did learn one substantive thing yesterday: aside from put-backs and alley-oops, we apparently have no post game.

I learned that JB won't be playing nine guys and spreading the minutes around during real games.

But we did learn one substantive thing yesterday: aside from put-backs and alley-oops, we apparently have no post game.

I think part of the problem was that SDSU's defense was also packed in so tight that the bigs had no room to operate. The guards did not have to stay at home with shooters, so they could harass the bigs every time they got a post touch.

There's very little to take from it from it, but this, coupled with the exhibitions, I think it's hard not to be pleasantly surprised with Baye. With just about everyone in foul trouble, thought he did a great job protecting the rim and his hands appear much better.

Definitely agree in general. Should we be concerned that Coleman only played 9 minutes though?

SD State taking 18 3's in a game like this really seems like a bad decision.

That was the one thing that really bugged me from yesterday. I'm obviously thrilled that we notched a RPI-boosting W, but I really wanted to see us just once feed the ball to DC in the low-post, and have him calmly back his man down and score on a baby hook.

I think we can take away a few things:
(1) BMK might be a lock for 20+ minutes, a bit more than we might have thought;
(2) Cooney might not be needed as a third guard as much as we might have thought;
(3) our length looks even better on court than it does on paper; and
(4) MCW might keep RAK and Coleman here for next year, by taking 17 shots a game...and that might not be so terrible.

As much as I used to get on Scoop for being such a scoopster: height and athleticism cover a multiltude of sins. Scoops' biggest problem was probably being just short of 6'1" and not being a tremendous athlete, because MCW looked twice as out of control and still dominated a talented opposing backcourt. I busted Scoop for mental errors, which we all saw, but if he had been 6'5", good lord, Scoop would have made so many more circus plays than he already did. MCW is blessed with some ability.

(3) our length looks even better on court than it does on paper; and

This one stands out to me. It was only one game, but man did it look like it was tough for San Diego State to get a good shot.

Man, with our length, we'd probably be the best team in the country if we coul dplay every game in a 15 MPH wind.

Triche was the only consistent Player yesterday, MCW as of that Game 'Is not a Point Guard" " A point Guard gives the Ball to his Teamates in their best possible position to score" Triche was the only Qualifier yesterday. See Steve Fisher Quote "You can't teach Tall"

I was really impressed with Keita yesterday. His rebounding and defense were great? It appears that he's become stronger and I think the issue with his hand is finally behind him. He only had one official block, but it seemed like he was altering tons of shots. That's exactly what we need out of him.

This one stands out to me. It was only one game, but man did it look like it was tough for San Diego State to get a good shot.

Man, with our length, we'd probably be the best team in the country if we coul dplay every game in a 15 MPH wind.
My friend said that the size of our players made the court look smaller. I thought that was a good assessment.

There's very little to take from it from it, but this, coupled with the exhibitions, I think it's hard not to be pleasantly surprised with Baye. With just about everyone in foul trouble, thought he did a great job protecting the rim and his hands appear much better.

That was a pretty nice catch-and-finish on a tough pass from MCW for his only bucket. I still really like Baye for what he is (i.e. he's not going to give you too much on offense).

What I learned:

The Orange can play disciplined and smart--demonstrated especially in the second half, when they were shooting at the "bad" end.

I learned that JB won't be playing nine guys and spreading the minutes around during real games.

I don't know. I think it's early to say that. True, JB's bench gets shorter in real games, but but I think the younger guys (Coleman and Cooney in particular) will get their chances to earn his trust. They may not do it, and we're left with basically 6 (keita/christmas/southerland/triche/mcw/Fair) with a smallish dose of Coleman and scraps for Cooney. But they will have an opportunity the next couple months -- just not vs. real teams in the opener.

I don't know. I think it's early to say that. True, JB's bench gets shorter in real games, but but I think the younger guys (Coleman and Cooney in particular) will get their chances to earn his trust. They may not do it, and we're left with basically 6 (keita/christmas/southerland/triche/mcw/Fair) with a smallish dose of Coleman and scraps for Cooney. But they will have an opportunity the next couple months -- just not vs. real teams in the opener.

Yup .. not too much PT for Grant either.

I don't agree with that conclusion. We were playing our first game against a ranked opponent under challenging conditions--I'm not surprised that our three frosh [Coleman, Grant, Cooney] all got limited minutes. All three are capable of contributing much more than they showed yesterday.

Now that this game is in our rear view mirror, I'd expect the early portion of our schedule to serve as tune of games to help get those guys comfortable. All three will play important roles this year. I'd be surprised if we don't go 9 deep every game [with Grant being the 9th guy].

I'd be surprised if we don't go 9 deep every game [with Grant being the 9th guy].

I agree with all this but I don't see Grant playing in every game. I think the rotation will feature a heavier dose of Coleman as he adjusts (though probably not quite as many minutes as a lot of folks here are projecting) and some sort of a role for Cooney. Maybe he's the half-guy in a 7.5-man rotation or perhaps he's a true 8th guy who legitimately compliments the starting guards. I see Grant having a really tough time doing enough to steal minutes from Fair or Southerland.

My friend said that the size of our players made the court look smaller. I thought that was a good assessment.

Yeah, that is a good way to describe it.

I'm not even totally sure why, but the length just really struck me yesterday. Even last year, you had Scoop playing a ton of minutes and he was a fine player, but he was what, 6-1? Last year we were 10th in the country in defensive turnover %. Playing the zone normally keeps us much lower than that (in the last decade we've been in the top 70 only last year) but, and I know it's just one game, I think we'll probably be somewhere around 10th again this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom