I like seeing Cooney put the ball on the floor. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I like seeing Cooney put the ball on the floor.

So because he's not GMac, he should transfer?

BTW - Cooney's ceiling is much higher than McNamara's.

Can you expand on this a little bit? I'll give you that you could make a legit argument Cooney is more athletic than McNamara, and probably has better size. At some point actual basketball ability has to come into the equation tho. As a freshman McNamara caught fire from behind the arc in a national championship game and was a huge part in winning the game for us, do I see Cooney doing that this year as a redshirt freshman(a year older than Gmac) ? Not even close. Do I see Cooney going off for 46 at some point in his career and almost single handedly winning us an NCAAT game? Nope. Do I think it is possible that Cooney makes huge shot after huge shot in the ACC tournament and leads us to one improbable win after another and saves the season? Not counting on it. So I'm just curious what makes you think his ceiling is higher, because for him to reach a higher level of play than what I just mentioned is a pretty tall task.

It's borderline delusional comments like these that led to the overhype in the first place. Cooney is not McNamara and most likely will never be McNamara or Rautins. Rautins evolved into a 6'5 guard that could play point, was a great passer, and lethal from 3. I'm all for staying optimistic that he'll be able to contribute in the future, but this year hes awful. I agree that he still could become a nice role player in time, but he's only going to have to battle more and more guys for time as the years go on. He literally had no competition for his spot this year and couldn't beat himself out. And lets stop with the new popular defense of its all mental or he just needs to adjust to the speed of the game. He's been around 30+ games and had a year to sit on the side and mature and learn. I wish the best for him, it'd be in the best interest of the program and team if he becomes a great player, but lets stop with the excuses and blind defense of him. This year he was a bust and this off season needs to get better in many areas of his game to contribute next year, all there is to it.

Can you expand on this a little bit? I'll give you that you could make a legit argument Cooney is more athletic than McNamara, and probably has better size. At some point actual basketball ability has to come into the equation tho. As a freshman McNamara caught fire from behind the arc in a national championship game and was a huge part in winning the game for us, do I see Cooney doing that this year as a redshirt freshman(a year older than Gmac) ? Not even close. Do I see Cooney going off for 46 at some point in his career and almost single handedly winning us an NCAAT game? Nope. Do I think it is possible that Cooney makes huge shot after huge shot in the ACC tournament and leads us to one improbable win after another and saves the season? Not counting on it. So I'm just curious what makes you think his ceiling is higher, because for him to reach a higher level of play than what I just mentioned is a pretty tall task.

It's borderline delusional comments like these that led to the overhype in the first place. Cooney is not McNamara and most likely will never be McNamara or Rautins. Rautins evolved into a 6'5 guard that could play point, was a great passer, and lethal from 3. I'm all for staying optimistic that he'll be able to contribute in the future, but this year hes awful. I agree that he still could become a nice role player in time, but he's only going to have to battle more and more guys for time as the years go on. He literally had no competition for his spot this year and couldn't beat himself out. And lets stop with the new popular defense of its all mental or he just needs to adjust to the speed of the game. He's been around 30+ games and had a year to sit on the side and mature and learn. I wish the best for him, it'd be in the best interest of the program and team if he becomes a great player, but lets stop with the excuses and blind defense of him. This year he was a bust and this off season needs to get better in many areas of his game to contribute next year, all there is to it.

what's his G.P.A.? may indeed be a great contribution to the program.

agree - kid will be there 3 more years, will improve and relax as he matures and will be a very solid role player his Jr & Sr seasons. Rautins basically stunk his first two seasons but it sure was great he hadn't transferred out for those last two seasons

Actually Andy was a major player and contributor in his sophomore year. We lose that 6 ot game without Andy.
His defense was always tough.

Cooney, in my opinion, needs to make a huge improvement. If he doesn't and if he has to play because we have no other answer, we are going to have a very tough first year in the ACC. The ACC has a ton of quick guards and they'll be on him like a duck on a june bug.

I agree with you that he needs to make a huge improvement, i'm not sure anyone that would disagree with that premise honestly.

Side note, the ACC also has a fair amount of bigger slower guard/forwards that a guy like Cooney could be much more comfortable against vs the guards he's seen from Nova, L'ville, Cinci, and this year.

End game, he should spend his offseason chucking up at least 100 jump shots 2x a day and working on his left hand dribble.

First of all, I didn't start the McNamara comparisons. It's a safe bet that Cooney will not reach McNamara's level during his time at Syracuse. But Cooney is absolutely more athletic than McNamara ever was. That's where the "higher ceiling" comes from. Cooney has more pro potential than GMac had. I guarantee that Cooney will have at least as successful an NBA career than GMac had. The biggest difference between the two is that McNamara was ready from day one. Cooney is obviously not. What we saw from GMac as a freshman was what we saw from GMac as a senior. We'll see how Cooney develops. To write him off now is just absolutely ridiculous.

Yep. Extremely stupid.

Cooney's problems are in his head. His offensive struggles have nothing to do with physical ability. He is an asset on defense due to his lateral quickness and natural strength. He is much more physically talented than guards over the years who eventually transferred to lower level programs like David Patrick, Tony Bland, James Thues, and Mookie Jones.

He took a year off and gets very nervous in games. Your statement "the game at his level appears to be too fast for him" is on the money, but that's not indicative of someone who can't hack it at this level...it's simply someone who needs time to grow and mature.

I'm sure back in the Fall of 2005 you knew Andy Rautins would finish his career as one of the most valuable players in the entire country.

Cooney will be fine.

You must be kidding.

While I don't share Townie72's harsh conclusion, let me tell you, there is no comparing Bland, Thues and Jones with Cooney. All three of those guys shot in the mid forty percent. Cooney is down near 30% and that was his touted strength. He is averaging .8 SPG which shows some value on defence and JB has been using him accordingly.

It was not a snap decision by the SU staff in selecting Cooney. It was quite a drawn out process. He came in like he would be our next Jimmy Lee - with size, so I will remain a believer. The staff are rarely that far off. Also, we will potentially be worse off next year at the guard position, so add hope to the cause.

As of right now though, Cooney is the worst case I have seen at the SU guard position and I have seen them all in the JB era. Oh - as for Andy Rautins, he was a one star recruit, expected to be little better than a walk-on. He subsequently made it onto the floor of the Garden (albeit for a few minutes) with the NY Knicks.

I love how people get bent out of shape if anyone dares point out that someone like Triche is playing poorly, but it's fair game to basically say that Cooney sucks. Cooney will be a fine role player down the road. He does enough good things that he's ok right now.

This is where I'm at as well. I never expected him to be an all league player at any point, a nice role player that should pay dividends down the road. You need these four year guys, people that can come in, play serviceable defense, hit some shots, etc...as a Frosh, wasn't sure he would do much, I did expect he would shoot a lot better (which would have earned him more minutes, but otherwise, about what I expected. I always kind of assumed BT/MCW would be playing huge minutes this year regardless.

In reference to the Maine comment, I see kids starring at those schools all the time that I would be happy to have as our third or fourth guard off the bench. If he transitions into a great shooter, that can play some d, and handle the ball a bit --- fantastic, anything more and I'll be thrilled. Rautins was like that, and I ended up being thrilled.

Excuse me?

"Stupid" is it?

My assessment after watching the kid closely this year is that he just isn't a good enough player to contribute at SU. And IMHO he's unlikely to get all that much better. He isn't the outside shooter anyone had hoped and he has no handle. The game at his level appears to be too fast for him and as a result he's frequently off-balance trying to catch up. He's only on the floor this year to give one of our only two guards a blow. Or to boost the fouls count when we want to get the other team in the bonus so they can start shooting fouls.

He'd probably have a great career at William and Mary.

It was worth a try to recruit him and maybe we could have used a designated three-point shooter (If he could shoot like other designated three point shooters)

Time to recruit over him and move ahead.

Yes, "stupid"

Oh I know. Point is he showed he deserves to be on a division 1 team. I know there is more work to be done but there are some extreme statements in this thread that are pretty ridiculous.

Yes, "stupid"

Yawn!

Two years on campus. Ten points. One half were he actually contributes something. One "moment of brillance' On the bench in the second half because JB doesn't trust him.

JB and I are stupid and your are the genius?

Oh I know. Point is he showed he deserves to be on a division 1 team. I know there is more work to be done but there are some extreme statements in this thread that are pretty ridiculous.
No one said that he couldn't play and contribute in Division I.

Maine is Division I. William & Mary is Division I.

Are you clear on just who is D-1 and who isn't?

Townie, you may have to upgrade him to adequate reserve if he keeps this up. ;)
Hey, I hope he is the next GMac.

I think he may be able to develop into the role player he was recruited to be.

Hey Townie - have you watched the first half?

I watched the replay his morning.

Some good moments. A solid contribution ... the first meaningful contribution in two years on campus.

JB sat him down in the second half ... I wonder why?

What Cooney did last night could be HUGE for us during his Syracuse career. I don't know if he's going to be good enough to beat out Gbinje because from what I've read and heard about him, he's a stud but if he can be a shooter off en we the bench, who's also a tenacious defender who can handle the ball, we might have another bigtime 6th man performer. I could also see him pushing Gbinje to the 3 during games when we need shooters and spacing since, again, from what we're hearing Ennis and Gbinje can shoot and Gbinje has the size to be a 2/3.

As far as this year goes...if he gives us a shooter off the bench like last night, sky's the limit for this team.

I watched the replay his morning.

Some good moments. A solid contribution ... the first meaningful contribution in two years on campus.

JB sat him down in the second half ... I wonder why?

It's kind of amusing you count the redshirt year against him - just not sure why you would mention it other than to exaggerate your case. What was he going to add last year to prove anything to anyone, run on the court during the BE Tourney and grab an important rebound?

To Cooney's credit on defense, he got hurt by the moving high screen not being called at all today. But two of his shots (the airball and front rim) were terrible shots, his aim is fine but the depth perception isn't there.

Cooney is moving laterally too much when he shoots. Fair is so good this season because he goes straight up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom