I like seeing Cooney put the ball on the floor. | Syracusefan.com

I like seeing Cooney put the ball on the floor.

He didn't shoot the ball well and hasn't most games, but I see growth lately. More importantly, he's playing confidently against better competition. He has to give these guys some breathers. But his dribble seems tighter and low, not bumbling the ball off himself anymore. :)

He wasn't great off the high pick a few times, got burned for at least one three, but learned from that mistake the next defensive sequence. I really think he's building on it.

He's even picking up the patented slip on the floor maneuver that our other guards suffered from most of the year - definitely progressing. :)

He's even picking up the patented slip on the floor maneuver that our other guards suffered from most of the year - definitely progressing. :)
Hey, Triche made a secondary assist with his fancy slip the other day!

I really want Cooney to do well trust me, but sometimes I feel like people are really reaching when it comes to him. Every time he tries to break his man off the dribble I get nervous. He plays hard and I like that, but at this point he's an average to below average shooter and an ok defender imho. Still early in his career and I'm hoping that he'll improve next year.

Got fouled on both arms on his only make.

More two-point attempts would probably be a good thing.

I really want Cooney to do well trust me, but sometimes I feel like people are really reaching when it comes to him. Every time he tries to break his man off the dribble I get nervous. He plays hard and I like that, but at this point he's an average to below average shooter and an ok defender imho. Still early in his career and I'm hoping that he'll improve next year.
Agreed. He should be much farther along, especially with his outside shot. But I believe it can be corrected. I hope it's this.

I like everything positive Cooney does.

Nervous isnt the word dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's got a long, long way to go.

We are all grateful he can come in and spell MCW or Triche for a few minutes to give them a blow.

But Cooney next year with a big role? I don't see it.

I think he ought to consider transferring somewhere.

Turned out to be a key play, being able to flip the ball backwards as he was going down to MCW for the trey.

everytime he does attack it seems like a train wobbling off its tracks.. with that said i think he is trying to push the ball in too much.. kinda like brandon. he needs to work on his footwork so it comes naturally if he doesn't improve he is going to have major competition next year.

He can, surprisingly, get to the rim pretty well, and if he were to get fouled he's a good free throw shooter. This may help him get better long range looks, also.

this might be a bit of a stretch...ok, a huge stretch, but i guess it's better then him shooting.

or anything else. i just don't know how you can continually put up air ball after brick after air ball. little confidence in him

Glad to read some positive posts about this kid. He needs a huge boost. If you total his numbers for the last three games, this is what you get.

He played a total of 26 mins, took 5 threes and made none. Had 1 Ast, 1 Stl, FG 1-7 and 0 FTs. He scored just 2 Pts. These stats must rank with the worst ever for any SU player.

Nervous isnt the word dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
th_samcassellohmy.png

The dribble drive fall down assist had all of us like that lol.

I said earlier today that with Cooney, I want to believe. And that's why I'm going to refer to him as X-Files for the time being.

To Cooney's credit on defense, he got hurt by the moving high screen not being called at all today. But two of his shots (the airball and front rim) were terrible shots, his aim is fine but the depth perception isn't there.

I love how people get bent out of shape if anyone dares point out that someone like Triche is playing poorly, but it's fair game to basically say that Cooney sucks. Cooney will be a fine role player down the road. He does enough good things that he's ok right now.

Glad to read some positive posts about this kid. He needs a huge boost. If you total his numbers for the last three games, this is what you get.

He played a total of 26 mins, took 5 threes and made none. Had 1 Ast, 1 Stl, FG 1-7 and 0 FTs. He scored just 2 Pts. These stats must rank with the worst ever for any SU player.
For season 310 from floor, 255 from 3. Probably good for two Cuse records for a scholarship 2 guard. 300 and 250 are within reach. These records will stand the test of time.

He'll calm down as he gets older and more experienced, but right now when I see him in the game airballing threes I think...

tweek-23561.jpg

He's due to hit some shots.

Here's hoping it happens tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors