I like Wildhack a lot but the AD's office overall is clueless | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

I like Wildhack a lot but the AD's office overall is clueless

How much money is the Program receiving for the game?
I don’t know and I honestly don’t care. We’re in the ACC. We get tons of money from a myriad of sources. This isn’t 2007 anymore. We should have standards and some untouchable things… like selling home games to play them 250 miles away in a crap baseball stadium on a slip-and-slide field.

I’m literally as big of a JW booster as you’ll find anywhere. But he made a mistake with this one. It happens.

I don’t know and I honestly don’t care. We’re in the ACC. We get tons of money from a myriad of sources. This isn’t 2007 anymore. We should have standards and some untouchable things… like selling home games to play them 250 miles away in a crap baseball stadium on a slip-and-slide field.

I’m literally as big of a JW booster as you’ll find anywhere. But he made a mistake with this one. It happens.
I do not know the details of course, but I suspect the decision was a financial one.

Though we get "tons of money from a myriad of sources" I am certain that from the University's point of view, we don't get enough from those sources. I would think that at this point, fundraising is Wildhack's primary responsibility.

So, I suspect, when an opportunity comes along that offers the Program a decent payday, the University is going to take it.

I don't love Yankee Stadium as a football venue - or baseball venue for that matter - but I do like spending time in NYC and I would think that a trip to the New York provides opportunities to interact with a large alumni base.

Hopefully, for the players the game is treated like a bowl game.

I would rather see Pitt in the Dome, but I will travel to Yankee Stadium and watch the Orange play - and I'll have fun.

if we're gonna lose home games we should try and take the show on the road and build out our interest nationally or internationally. Play ND in Ireland. Orange vs Irish, like the sound of it. We'd get plenty of media attention for that one and the players would love the adventure of it.

Playing in Yankee Stadium is blah. If anything go play at Gilette vs BC like we used to play them at Sullivan Stadium in the 80s. Players would love a chance to play in an NFL stadium that is rarely used for college football

Don't forget it is to commemorate one of the most legendary and talked-about college football games in history. It pretty-much put Yankees Stadium on the map and established it as the Mecca of college football.

Also would have been our biggest home crowd. Clemson having 2 losses probably will lower the attendance and BC+Wake do not bring the masses or casual fans. Pitt is the worst they have been in forever. Packed Dome out for blood if the season is going well in early November.

Just an awful move to go back there less than a year after our bowl game. Play BC there and ask if they want to play us at Fenway if you're that determined.

Also would have been our biggest home crowd. Clemson having 2 losses probably will lower the attendance and BC+Wake do not bring the masses or casual fans. Pitt is the worst they have been in forever. Packed Dome out for blood if the season is going well in early November.

Just an awful move to go back there less than a year after our bowl game. Play BC there and ask if they want to play us at Fenway if you're that determined.
If the season is going well (cuse is 4-0 going into Clemson) then I don't think the opponent will matter as much. The hype machine is driven by success of the team later in the season. early in the season syracuse fans need a reason to stroll into the dome when its 75 and sunny out

south park beat a dead horse GIF

They should be upset. That venue sucks and they’ve lost a home game.

It was a very bad decision.

This.

I don't have an overall poor opinion of Wildhack at all, but you can't lipstick this pig of decision on the PITT Yankee Stadium game.

Pinstripe bowl is one thing, but these in-season games there are a total farce... and we should not be doing them anymore - especially after the Notre Dame "shamrock series" irish wankfest debacle in 2017. That was probably the singlwe worst sporting event I have ever attended. The concessions and stadium services were half open and the Notre Dame media blitz takeover of the jumbotron and stadium screens was the cringiest crap I have ever seen... All for a plethora of NYC stalwart Irish fans, 90% of which have never been to Southbend.

Last edited:
This.

I don't have an overall poor opinion of Wildhack at all, but you can't lipstick this pig of decision on the PITT Yankee Stadium game.

Pinstripe bowl is one thing, but these in-season games there are a total farce... and we should not be doing them anymore - especially after the Notre Dame "shamrock series" irish wankfest debacle in 2017.

Which, by the way, was an absolute disaster from a fan gameday experience. Yankee Stadium had about 1/3 of the staff that they needed for that game. The lines to get in took an hour. Concession lines (for the stands that were actually open) were abysmal. My wife went at halftime to get a coffee and didn't come back until the start of the fourth quarter. A number of restrooms were closed. It was a joke.

This.

Pinstripe bowl is one thing, but these in-season games there are a total farce... and we should not be doing them anymore - especially after the Notre Dame "shamrock series" irish wankfest debacle in 2017.
if we make X for home games and X+Y for the yankee stadium game why wouldnt they do it?

if we make X for home games and X+Y for the yankee stadium game why wouldnt they do it?

Because we're not a mid-major, we shouldn't give up a home game, and the fan experience blows.

This.

Well, it was Notre Dame's home game. You're either getting the "Irish Wankfest" there or in South Bend... Personally, if I'm Syracuse, I'm all for opponents moving their future home games out of their stadium for a venue closer... Which is what I suspect Pitt feels about this one.

Because we're not a mid-major, we shouldn't give up a home game, and the fan experience blows.
I would say we have a few who car, a few who dont care, a few who will travel, and a few who will now attend who never would.

Much like we have like 5% who tailgate but we act like we are LSU and 75% do.

Because you probably don’t want to piss off the only people showing up to your product that has been below mediocre for over two decades?
How many have been pissed off by it? I know some on this board are, and some on this board are going. I personally dont care and if we are playing well still might go..

Well, it was Notre Dame's home game. You're either getting the "Irish Wankfest" there or in South Bend... Personally, if I'm Syracuse, I'm all for opponents moving their future home games out of their stadium for a venue closer... Which is what I suspect Pitt feels about this one.

That was a big part of it but also just the half-assed set-up by the stadium.. concessions half-opened, huge lines, pissers closed, etc. The experience is poor. The subway even died on the train out and back to our hotel near MSG... we had to get off the train at 30 Rock and get a cab.

Anyways, there is a myriad of reasons why we shouldn't give up a home game for this.

There is only one reason why we should, and I'd argue the nays hold a much stronger argument.

We prolly need a petition, LOL.

I do not know the details of course, but I suspect the decision was a financial one.

Though we get "tons of money from a myriad of sources" I am certain that from the University's point of view, we don't get enough from those sources. I would think that at this point, fundraising is Wildhack's primary responsibility.

So, I suspect, when an opportunity comes along that offers the Program a decent payday, the University is going to take it.

I don't love Yankee Stadium as a football venue - or baseball venue for that matter - but I do like spending time in NYC and I would think that a trip to the New York provides opportunities to interact with a large alumni base.

Hopefully, for the players the game is treated like a bowl game.

I would rather see Pitt in the Dome, but I will travel to Yankee Stadium and watch the Orange play - and I'll have fun.
We disagree, and that's perfectly fine.

If it's all about the payday then let's play this out to a logical conclusion. Let's prostitute out the football program multiple times a year. Let's renew the Penn State series and give them the 7-3 split they wanted in the 90s. Let's sell our BC home game to Fenway Sports Group and play there. Let's sell our Clemson home game to some bank and play it in Charlotte.

I've said before that I'm 100% done concerning myself with the minutia of revenue and finances in college sports. It's gross. JW's job is to solve for that stuff while *enhancing* the fan experience. IMHO, this game detracts from it.

As a fan it stinks to sell this game to play in a lousy stadium that we were just playing in 9 months ago. And in a city that is super-served by the basketball program. I'm a NYC metro alum and believe me, I have more than ample opportunities to interact with SU here. And to be clear, I'm not going to the game. Getting there is a colossal pain in the ass. Sitting in 4 hours of roundtrip traffic from 45 miles away ain't worth the effort.

Lastly, they can't treat this like a bowl game. It's in the middle of November, before Thanksgiving break. The players have classes. I'm sure they're going to treat it like a road game in West Lafayette, Indiana -- that being, a quick business trip.

Chicken and egg IMO.

Through 2 games, simply put - not enough people are coming to games. They have a bottom line to hit... But by moving a game, you piss off some of those who are already invested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom