I like Wildhack a lot but the AD's office overall is clueless | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

I like Wildhack a lot but the AD's office overall is clueless

Chicken and egg IMO.

Through 2 games, simply put - not enough people are coming to games. They have a bottom line to hit... But by moving a game, you piss off some of those who are already invested.
Honestly, if this is big deal I would think they have gotten a ton of complaints and would be reaching out with a survey.

I still think the large majority dont care, and equal amounts are pissed as are ok with it..

You won’t find anyone who supports and appreciates John Wildhack more than I do, but you also won’t find anyone more disappointed in the move of the Pitt game. I have missed 6 home games since 1974 and regularly travel to at least two roadies a year. Sitting at the Navy Pier in Chicago before heading to West Lafayette tomorrow for the Purdue game.

What I know is that we came out of the covid pandemic in a dire financial situation. No ticket sales in 2020 and the most challenging restrictions in the nation in 2021 with testing and health protocols that cost millions of unbudgeted funds. Rather than cutting staff and entire programs like other schools did, we came out of the pandemic by doubling down and investing in the upgrade of the football coaching staff and adding support positions while also embarking on the costliest facilities program in the school’s history.

If selling a game to Yankees Stadium makes a substantial dent in the red ink, so be it. My only qualm is that I think we should be transparent about it and not try to sell the move as merely a cool historical thing.

You won’t find anyone who supports and appreciates John Wildhack more than I do, but you also won’t find anyone more disappointed in the move of the Pitt game. I have missed 6 home games since 1974 and regularly travel to at least two roadies a year. Sitting at the Navy Pier in Chicago before heading to West Lafayette tomorrow for the Purdue game.

What I know is that we came out of the covid pandemic in a dire financial situation. No ticket sales in 2020 and the most challenging restrictions in the nation in 2021 with testing and health protocols that cost millions of unbudgeted funds. Rather than cutting staff and entire programs like other schools did, we came out of the pandemic by doubling down and investing in the upgrade of the football coaching staff and adding support positions while also embarking on the costliest facilities program in the school’s history.

If selling a game to Yankees Stadium makes a substantial dent in the red ink, so be it. My only qualm is that I think we should be transparent about it and not try to sell the move as merely a cool historical thing.
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

If we lose to Pitt, the complaining will intensify. Especially if the field conditions suck again.

Nonconference games against “blue bloods” that wouldn’t come to the Dome for a 1-1 anyway, are one thing.

A conference game against a team that frustratingly usually beats us, that should be a “peer program” that we really need to beat….I don’t like it.

I expect Pitt to move next season’s game with them to the Pittsburgh Pirate….no, too close. Move it to the Cleveland Guardians stadium. Will be so cool!

Honestly, if this is big deal I would think they have gotten a ton of complaints and would be reaching out with a survey.

I still think the large majority dont care, and equal amounts are pissed as are ok with it..
I'm thinking the University doesn't care.

The reaction here is somewhat as though the game had been moved to an airstrip in Beirut.

I understand the reasons for the disappointment, but much of this commentary is way, way over the top.

I look forward to being in the Bronx for this game.

Why wasn't it BC that was moved? Home field doesn't mean much in that series.

The reaction here is somewhat as though the game had been moved to an airstrip in Beirut.

I understand the reasons for the disappointment, but much of this commentary is way, way over the top.

I look forward to being in the Bronx for this game.
Here’s what I’m seeing. Downstaters and people going to the Bronx for the game have convinced themselves that this isn’t a big deal.

In reality, if the main objective is to win the game, this is a dreadful decision that is frankly being under reacted to at this point. Just a horrible horrible call by management

But if you’re going, I can understand the excitement.

In reality, if the main objective is to win the game, this is a dreadful decision that is frankly being under reacted to at this point.
But they will win so many more games in the future because of the coaches they will be able to retain with the money they make from giving up a home game.

Here’s what I’m seeing. Downstaters and people going to the Bronx for the game have convinced themselves that this isn’t a big deal.

In reality, if the main objective is to win the game, this is a dreadful decision that is frankly being under reacted to at this point. Just a horrible horrible call by management

But if you’re going, I can understand the excitement.
As I said, I understand the objections, especially if you live in Central New York.

But our results in the Dome in the last decade haven’t been overly impressive. Or in any way impressive for that matter.

As OrangePA put it, not a great venue for college football, but you’re in New York City. Almost impossible not to have fun if you know how to find it.

My post is more then six months old at this point but it wasn't about just moving the Pitt game to Yankee stadium. As I noted right now SU is looking at only having 6 home games a year through 2027, that's the issue.
The thing is, the Haese facts in isolation and the way you present them are factually accurate and the logic is fair.

That said, we live in an era where presence matters and save for a few seasons, Cuse is trying to bounce back into relevancy. The school used to control the NYC market as much as it could be controlled from a college perspective. During the down years, other schools were able to make inroads in the gap Cuse left because the program wasnt relevant on a national scale any longer. Where I think your argument misses is that it takes a leader and a visionary to see the opportunity for those deals and signing up for them.

He gambled that the football program would be important enough that it’d garner some non-diehards in the largest market in the world (3hrs away from campus), to pay attention, if not attend the games. He’s trying to re-grab the market and doubled down on Babers making it happen. If it works out, having those games in NYC could actually help in the long term stability of the revived program. If those games were in the Dome, I couldn’t reasonably argue that it’d have the same economic impact to the program. You’re allowed to beat him up for taking the gamble and you may be right. I applaud him for taking the handle, because I see the vision and as a Syracuse fan, I hope his vision doesn’t stray to far from reality.

Where we differ is that I disagree with kicking a guy over-and-over for having a vision, which may be unpopular as it isn’t the tried and true path, without waiting to see if it plays out. I am a firm believer though that if his vision does play out, Cuse jumps from an afterthought in the SEC/B1G consolidation, to a maybe. That’s a gamble that’s worth making when you’re a bottom feeder like the program has been for two decades.

Sometimes you just have to swing for the fences, no matter how low the chances are. The only shot guaranteed to miss is the one that isn’t taken.

As I said, I understand the objections, especially if you live in Central New York.

But our results in the Dome in the last decade haven’t been overly impressive. Or in any way impressive for that matter.

As OrangePA put it, not a great venue for college football, but you’re in New York City. Almost impossible not to have fun if you know how to find it.
For BBall sure. For FB it is different.

BBall is in the heart of the city and you pregame at a bar. FB isn’t in the heart of the city. There is nothing to do in the area before or after the game.

If one is driving down from CNY they aren't likely to stay in Manhattan. So when exactly are they visiting the city? Friday drive down. Saturday the game. Sunday drive home. Maybe you have time early Saturday or early Sunday to go into Manhattan but is it worth it? For BBall you have more time before and after the game that is actually in Manhattan.

Tailgating is a huge part of FB, not bars. You cannot tailgate for this game. On top of that bar options are limited, making a bad situation even worse.

The pre game and in game experience at YS sucks. The pre game and in game experience at MSG is awesome.

I live pretty close to YS and I do not like playing there. Heck NYCFan probably runs a greater distance during his lunch break than the distance I live from YS. I rather the games be at Giants Stadium even though it is a hike for me to get there.

If the season is going well (cuse is 4-0 going into Clemson) then I don't think the opponent will matter as much. The hype machine is driven by success of the team later in the season. early in the season syracuse fans need a reason to stroll into the dome when its 75 and sunny out
At Syracuse, the name of the opponent would absolutely matter. 4-0 vs Clemson, FSU, Miami, ND draws far better than someone like Minnesota or Vanderbilt.
At a great FB school, all that would matter would be that SU has a home game.

The thing is, the Haese facts in isolation and the way you present them are factually accurate and the logic is fair.

That said, we live in an era where presence matters and save for a few seasons, Cuse is trying to bounce back into relevancy. The school used to control the NYC market as much as it could be controlled from a college perspective. During the down years, other schools were able to make inroads in the gap Cuse left because the program wasnt relevant on a national scale any longer. Where I think your argument misses is that it takes a leader and a visionary to see the opportunity for those deals and signing up for them.

He gambled that the football program would be important enough that it’d garner some non-diehards in the largest market in the world (3hrs away from campus), to pay attention, if not attend the games. He’s trying to re-grab the market and doubled down on Babers making it happen. If it works out, having those games in NYC could actually help in the long term stability of the revived program. If those games were in the Dome, I couldn’t reasonably argue that it’d have the same economic impact to the program. You’re allowed to beat him up for taking the gamble and you may be right. I applaud him for taking the handle, because I see the vision and as a Syracuse fan, I hope his vision doesn’t stray to far from reality.

Where we differ is that I disagree with kicking a guy over-and-over for having a vision, which may be unpopular as it isn’t the tried and true path, without waiting to see if it plays out. I am a firm believer though that if his vision does play out, Cuse jumps from an afterthought in the SEC/B1G consolidation, to a maybe. That’s a gamble that’s worth making when you’re a bottom feeder like the program has been for two decades.

Sometimes you just have to swing for the fences, no matter how low the chances are. The only shot guaranteed to miss is the one that isn’t taken.

We’ve been playing football games at MetLife for at least ten years. “NYs College Team” was at least fifteen years ago. How’s it working so far?

It will likely be easier for me to see on TV than if it was a home game, so (selfishly) I’m good.

That was a big part of it but also just the half-assed set-up by the stadium.. concessions half-opened, huge lines, pissers closed, etc. The experience is poor. The subway even died on the train out and back to our hotel near MSG... we had to get off the train at 30 Rock and get a cab.

Anyways, there is a myriad of reasons why we shouldn't give up a home game for this.

There is only one reason why we should, and I'd argue the nays hold a much stronger argument.

We prolly need a petition, LOL.
You can't walk 15 short NYC blocks (3/4 of a mile)? The weather was gorgeous that day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom