I like Wildhack a lot but the AD's office overall is clueless | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I like Wildhack a lot but the AD's office overall is clueless

It's funny because back in the day, November is when our attendance peaked. Granted that was when we were good.

But if people check out our game-by-game attendance in the 90s they'll see that our top games were November tilts with BC, Pitt, WVU and Miami.

Times have changed, obviously.

Back in the day is now "the clinton years" for many of us fans. :)

Yeah, the ACC meatgrinder is a problem for Syracuse any way you cut up the schedule, chop it up location wise, etc.

I guess I can't get too worked up about a lost home game in November for a team that is usually completely limping to the finish. We have about 15 years of this being the norm now.

the school should really move the game to Westchester County or Long Island where the students are coming from. That'll be probably a more additive thing for the future of the student body

Had the game been scheduled for @ Pitt this season does anyone think they still would have done this 100th Anniversary stuff?
Patch on the jersey, maybe...

Other than an ultimately non monumental pay day I dont see one reasonable explanation why moving the game’s acceptable.

If the answer is “who cares anyways” then that’s also on the AD because we just spent how much on a dome update? And just had a winning season with two sell outs.

I get that a lot of people admire the fundraising efforts that have been going on, but moving a home game was stupidity and its ok to admit that.

Here is the rub...our spoiled NFL first alumni in the Tri-State won't attend in any large numbers (5000?) We'll get 3000 from CNY to attend. Pitt will have 2000 from the Tri-State and 33 fans from WPA cuz of the Stillers. Both teams better be above .500 or this crowd will look like an FCS game.

The AD totally misread the room. Going to YS is okay every 5 years for a bowl game. It sucks for November coming off a bowl game played on horrible turf.

If the AD wants to do a 1-1-1 in the future look at MetLife first.

Let me preface this comment by saying that I prefer SU playing Pitt at the Dome this year and that I like as many home games as possible. I'm not going to Yankee Stadium for the Pitt game, but what I think some people are missing is why the game was moved in the first place. The first college football game that Yankee Stadium ever hosted was Pitt and Syracuse in 1923. This is the 100th anniversary. SU recently playing in the Pinstripe Bowl and choosing a different opponent are irrelevant.

SU knew this was coming. Some can argue that we're playing a neutral site game in Atlanta in '25 so we shouldn't play one this year. The game with Tenn was chosen knowing that the Pitt game at Yankee Stadium was a strong possibility.

If
Back in the day is now "the clinton years" for many of us fans. :)

Yeah, the ACC meatgrinder is a problem for Syracuse any way you cut up the schedule, chop it up location wise, etc.

I guess I can't get too worked up about a lost home game in November for a team that is usually completely limping to the finish. We have about 15 years of this being the norm now.

the school should really move the game to Westchester County or Long Island where the students are coming from. That'll be probably a more additive thing for the future of the student body
If Westchester or Rockland had a 30K soccer stadium it might be worth looking at in certain situations (like we still have 7 Dome games). LI is too hard to get to for Upstate fans

Let me preface this comment by saying that I prefer SU playing Pitt at the Dome this year and that I like as many home games as possible. I'm not going to Yankee Stadium for the Pitt game, but what I think some people are missing is why the game was moved in the first place. The first college football game that Yankee Stadium ever hosted was Pitt and Syracuse in 1923. This is the 100th anniversary. SU recently playing in the Pinstripe Bowl and choosing a different opponent are irrelevant.

SU knew this was coming. Some can argue that we're playing a neutral site game in Atlanta in '25 so we shouldn't play one this year. The game with Tenn was chosen knowing that the Pitt game at Yankee Stadium was a strong possibility.

This is factually inaccurate

The first college football game that Yankee Stadium ever hosted was Pitt and Syracuse in 1923. This is the 100th anniversary.
how many games have been played there, honestly? Like 3?

The whole thing is stupid and nobody cares.

You wonder if they realize how important the enxst 7-10 years are for this program with the ACC clearly in danger of imploding once the GOR becomes breakable based on the SEC and B10 continuing to pull away money wise. You also just spend untold millions on renovating the Dome and raised ticket prices for nearly all season ticket holders

So what does the AD's office do, ensure that from now until 2028 SU will be the only P5 D1 program to not have a 7 game home schedule after moving the Pitt game this year and apparently making the 2024 Uconn game a neutral site affair (if the rumblings are accurate).

What the hell is going on up there? Heads need to roll, this is Rutgers level ineptness.
I don't know if it's a Syracuse issue alone. The ACC as a whole is dying and no one has any idea how to change that and it doesn't help that most member schools are fine with the status quo...

That's a diff argument and I agree. Yankee Stadium blowwwws for football. That's definitely a yuck factor to this. However, if the game was in a real football stadium i'd complain less especially since it's a November game when the attendance peeters out anyway (usually due to the performance on the field and lack of interest).

I've gone to the Ireland game for the ND/Navy and BC/Tech games. It's a fantastic take. Someone with a historical wink and a nod should have considered SU/ND for the Ireland game to have the Orange vs the Irish. It's a fantastic event and worthy of a loss of a home game for sure (since it's usually played in August when it's splendid in Dublin at the Aviva)

And if you are lucky the Semis or Finals of the All Ireland are around the same time.

Here is the rub...our spoiled NFL first alumni in the Tri-State won't attend in any large numbers (5000?) We'll get 3000 from CNY to attend. Pitt will have 2000 from the Tri-State and 33 fans from WPA cuz of the Stillers. Both teams better be above .500 or this crowd will look like an FCS game.

The AD totally misread the room. Going to YS is okay every 5 years for a bowl game. It sucks for November coming off a bowl game played on horrible turf.

If the Notre Dame debacle didnt curb the enthusiasm of casuals and a lot of hardcores on YS, then Minnesota certainly did

Season Tickets are ridiculously cheap

And there’s still limited growth in demand. You need to capitalize on a winning season by maximizing the attractiveness of season tickets.

Moving a pitt game, which in good years draws 38,000 and up, is NOT that.
lets go back an look at pitt attendance since 2000

40K in 2000

the last 10 yrs we have one well attended pitt game.

We might not hit 30k for this game.

I am surprised that both the Yankees and SU wanted us in the Pinstripe knowing this game was going to happen. It makes no sense.

This game is a commemorative game. So I get it. But this should be our last home game ever played at Yankee Stadium. If we need to move, it needs to be at Metlife. I think the new NYC FC stadium will be too small.

We might not hit 30k for this game.

I am surprised that both the Yankees and SU wanted us in the Pinstripe knowing this game was going to happen. It makes no sense.

This game is a commemorative game. So I get it. But this should be our last home game ever played at Yankee Stadium. If we need to move, it needs to be at Metlife. I think the new NYC FC stadium will be too small.
what does attendance matter.. the money isnt coming from tickets sold is it.

1. I get the 100 year thing but this isn't the same stadium. So it is kinda dumb.

2. Both SU and the Yankees knew about this game before we were chosen to go to the Pinstripe. So it seems odd for both parties to want us in the Pinstripe.

Larry from Mattydale only gets $99 season tickets. BTW the sideline 300s are the best deal IMHO at $125. Note: you have to walk up 20 rows closer to midfield. Larry might not care but Tom from Liverpool is pissed as he was expecting 7 games for $650 and now has 6 games for $650. His parking just got more expensive per game too!

If Tom buys two Springsteen tickets (as a pure hypothetical), his two hours and forty minutes in the same spot will cost that much.

lets go back an look at pitt attendance since 2000

40K in 2000

the last 10 yrs we have one well attended pitt game.

How many of those years did we have a winning record going into the game, let alone displayed even slight football competence? You’re pulling from arguably the worst 20 year stretch in program history. The AD doubled down on Dino and believes he’s our best chance to rebuild a winning product. Don’t sell home games.

If we can sell out vs NCSU while winning, we can certainly sell out vs Pitt.

what does attendance matter.. the money isnt coming from tickets sold is it.

It doesn't matter for SU financially. It does matter for fan experience and creating a home field advantage for the team. People complain when we only get 40k in the Dome. People would complain if we get 29k for this game.

It does matter for the Yankees. Not our concern.

You are beyond wrong on this.

The university has been hearing non stop from season ticket holders about this move.

This is a terrible terrible move by the AD…. Especially after he said he would never move a home football game while he was at Syracuse. Yikes
I called my ticket rep yesterday to re up my seasons. Told him I was pissed about moving the Pitt game to YS. He agreed with me, he’s a season tic holder as well! Lol

1. I get the 100 year thing but this isn't the same stadium. So it is kinda dumb.

2. Both SU and the Yankees knew about this game before we were chosen to go to the Pinstripe. So it seems odd for both parties to want us in the Pinstripe.
Agreed

Most of us would have be fine with the Military Bowl this past season.

The fact is the novelty wore off YS and it isn't a good bowl game and super expensive. If you aren't interested in running around Manhattan for a few days getting selected for the Pinstripe Bowl is not a desirable thing for CNYers.

Last edited:
Attendance is important

Why do SEC games look big time?
it matters in games people are watching.. no one really cares bout Su-pitt but Su-Pitt fans. in a home game attendance means money.. In this game the money is being driven up front. It will still get its 30-35K just like it would as a home game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom